Page 1 of 7 [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 3:04 am

In case you noticed a hot 22yr old name Alizee chain herself to the nets at the French Open your gaze may have travelled to the cute little outfit she was wearing and the warning she had on her t-shirt

The origin of the meme which is that the earth has only 1028 days left comes from a recent United Nations Climate report saying that humanity only has a short time left to act on the climate emergency.
https://news.un.org/en/story/2022/04/1115452

The premise is that we don't start reversing the emissions within 3 years it's probably too late to save the earth from catastrophic climate collapse.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 3:08 am

I'd only buy that if she was Greta Thunberg.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 4:14 am

The same message has been preached and oreached on since even before my Mum was born. They just move the goalposts each time it does not work out the way they intended.
When I was young they said that we were heading for a global ice age and everyone would die. Phew! Global warming is actually pretty tame compared to that so lets pollute some more because a global ice age is something we do not want at all! We can adjust and adapt to global warming. We can't survive an ice age. Scientific evidence proved we were heading for an ice age as well. The worlds leading scientists back in the 1970's were pretty intelligent people as well. The Einsteins of their day!
Good job we narrowly missed that one. The danger we have is if we slow down global warming we will slip into the ice age and die, so is scary what todays scientists are preaching here! We really need to take this seriously and do nothing as if we all stop polluting, we could face years of darkness and cold.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 4:39 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
The same message has been preached and oreached on since even before my Mum was born. They just move the goalposts each time it does not work out the way they intended. .

The latest reports suggest it's worse than we first thought
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2021/01/ ... d-by-2027/

3-4 years is impossible to reverse so it looks like we are circling the drain

The data doesn't look promising

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 4:54 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
The same message has been preached and oreached on since even before my Mum was born. They just move the goalposts each time it does not work out the way they intended.
When I was young they said that we were heading for a global ice age and everyone would die. Phew! Global warming is actually pretty tame compared to that so lets pollute some more because a global ice age is something we do not want at all! We can adjust and adapt to global warming. We can't survive an ice age. Scientific evidence proved we were heading for an ice age as well. The worlds leading scientists back in the 1970's were pretty intelligent people as well. The Einsteins of their day!
Good job we narrowly missed that one. The danger we have is if we slow down global warming we will slip into the ice age and die, so is scary what todays scientists are preaching here! We really need to take this seriously and do nothing as if we all stop polluting, we could face years of darkness and cold.

and then there was that book 'the population bomb' that came out around the 70's which predicted a food crisis in the next few years :D

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 4:57 am

klanka wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

and then there was that book 'the population bomb' that came out around the 70's which predicted a food crisis in the next few years :D

Paul Erlich? yes that was a somewhat premature prediction as the population time bomb was based on erroneous assumptions like food productivity would remain the same thus starving the world's poor.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 5:02 am

klanka wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

Don't forget Al Gore saying only 10 years left, over 20 years ago.

Last edited by Matrix Glitch on 11 Jun 2022, 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 5:03 am

birth rates have been falling in the first world, so that the population of the uk has stayed around 60million from the 1960's to 2000 . so the population level of the first world isnt really anything to be worried about.

So this latest research could be wrong and some unknown variable could be at play saving us again etc. etc.

Matrix Glitch - yeah lol

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 8:16 pm

klanka wrote:
birth rates have been falling in the first world, so that the population of the uk has stayed around 60million from the 1960's to 2000 . so the population level of the first world isnt really anything to be worried about.

So this latest research could be wrong and some unknown variable could be at play saving us again etc. etc.

Matrix Glitch - yeah lol

You might have skipped the graph that shows surface temperatures are increasing on average at an exponential rate. While we debate the cause, the repurcussions are unavoidable.

It's been mentioned on seperate threads over the years that there's nearly 99% of scientific consensus agrees that anthropogenic emissions are linked to the rise in global temperatures.

The push to reduce these emissions is urgent but being ignored. Hence Alizee's attempt to publicise the issue (at least she is easier on the eyes than Greta).

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 8:41 pm

That graph suggests that world War 2 saw a sharp rise. It seems a couple years of the baby boom or Vietnam War did to. However, by the 80s, I would guess outsourcing manufacturing jobs to China for cheap labour was likely in its infancy as well. Nixon and Trudeau (Pierre) opened up that door for us in this side of the world in the early 70s.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 8:45 pm

aspiemike wrote:
That graph suggests that world War 2 saw a sharp rise. It seems a couple years of the baby boom or Vietnam War did to. However, by the 80s, I would guess outsourcing manufacturing jobs to China for cheap labour was likely in its infancy as well. Nixon and Trudeau (Pierre) opened up that door for us in this side of the world in the early 70s.

There are also graphs from NASA that are measured from ice cores in Antarctica which show a sharp rise in global temp and carbon emissions at the exact point the industrial revolution started in Europe and America. It's pretty persuasive evidence that carbon emissions are linked to global temperatures.

While those who argue against the data claim "correlation is no causation" the problem is that this is a linear time series (not cross sectional data/snapshot) so it can infact be modelled and be demonstrated to be causal.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 8:50 pm

I'm not overly worried...When push comes to shove, the Earth will take care of itself.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 9:04 pm

DanielW wrote:
I'm not overly worried...When push comes to shove, the Earth will take care of itself.

For all our sakes we hope so. But there are steps we can take. If we are in a sinking boat we can delay drowning by bucketing the rising water out of the boat. Instead of that we are adding water to the boat.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 9:12 pm

I think 7 billion or so humans living the lifestyles we are accustomed to it simply too much for the planet to sustain. So yes, the problem will correct itself eventually. Not that there won't be consequences. I'm just more confident that I won't be around to see the worst of them than I am in anyone willing to make the changes necessary to reverse the problem.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 9:32 pm

DanielW wrote:
I think 7 billion or so humans living the lifestyles we are accustomed to it simply too much for the planet to sustain. So yes, the problem will correct itself eventually. Not that there won't be consequences. I'm just more confident that I won't be around to see the worst of them than I am in anyone willing to make the changes necessary to reverse the problem.

Perhaps COVID is the first of many "biological agents" that will reverse the population back? Yes in a post-apocalyptic world the reasons for the climate collapse will adjust over time.

The story of Atlantis and early hindu texts suggest that humans may have (hypothetically) interfered with the earth's climate by exploding nuclear devices which caused the sea levels to rise destroying civilisations which then had to start up again 5000 years ago. There is actually evidence of a comet hitting the earth resulting in the end of the last ice age but my point is that humanity may have gone through earlier stages/epochs where they had to start over again after deforestation, rising sea levels or low rainfall might have caused civilisation to collapse.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 11:19 pm

I mean go ahead and question climate change.

But then also provide an alternative believible senerio as to why the sea level is rising. As far as I can tell global warming makes sense...planet getting warmer arctic and antartic melting is layers of ice, and with all that ice melting it raises the water level. So what is the alternative explanation?