Page 1 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

UltraViolet240422
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Jun 2022, 6:54 am

Apart from vaccines cause autism, what other crazy theories have you heard about autism?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 7:48 am

UltraViolet240422 wrote:
Apart from vaccines cause autism, what other crazy theories have you heard about autism?
Myths regarding autism:

• Allowing a baby to cry causes autism.

• Being a "Refrigerator Mom" causes autism.

• Bluetooth and WiFi cause autism.

• Cable and satellite television cause autism.

• Cell phones (especially 5G) cause autism.

• Child car safety seats cause autism.

• Difficult family situations cause autism.

• Electromagnetic fields cause autism.

• Exposure to other children with autism causes autism.

• Gluten causes autism.

• Multivitamins cause autism.

• Poor nutrition causes autism.

• Tap water (esp., fluoridated) causes autism.

• The sins of the parents (e.g., God's wrath) cause autism.

• Too little or too much discipline causes autism.

• Too little or too much folate causes autism.

• Too much television (esp., PBS children’s shows) cause autism.

• Ultrasound during pregnancy causes autism.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 8:07 am

Sars-CoV-2 was made in a lab by Autistic scientists to make the whole world Autistic by wiping out the social people who go to pubs to talk crap loudly as they would be the ones most likely to spread and catch the

ps This is humourous not serious

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 8:14 am

rowan_nichol wrote:
Sars-CoV-2 was made in a lab by Autistic scientists to make the whole world Autistic by wiping out the social people who go to pubs to talk crap loudly as they would be the ones most likely to spread and catch the

ps This is humourous not serious
Careful there; Fnord's Rule of Conspiracy Theories states that . . .

"Any sufficiently convoluted parody of a conspiracy theory will itself be mistaken for a 'genuine' conspiracy theory."

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 10:53 am

Having a child over the age of 30 increases the chance of autism, also having a baby in your teens increases the chances. And firstborn.

Basically everything causes autism.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 10:55 am

Joe90 wrote:
Having a child over the age of 30 increases the chance of autism, also having a baby in your teens increases the chances. And firstborn.

My mother was 39 when I was born. Hmm.

Although to be fair, she was probably also on the spectrum.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 11:00 am

MaxE wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

I actually don't think having a baby later than average causes autism. It increases the chance of the baby having downs syndrome more than anything else.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 11:03 am

Joe90 wrote:
MaxE wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

I actually don't think having a baby later than average causes autism. It increases the chance of the baby having downs syndrome more than anything else.

You're right, that's the more usual belief, whether or not corroborated by scientific research.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 11:38 am

Heard a funny conspiracy theory the other day: One Psyche doc gets on a chat forum for fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue patients. And says oh yes and btw have tested all my Autistic patients , as a experiment. And they have come up positive for bacteria Borrelia Burghdorphi ,and occasionally several other tic borne infections, but all had Borrelia !
Coincidently Some of the autists in the forum learn that AMA would not validate testing for Borrelia, unless impossible circumstances were met . But one lab in PaloAlto, Calif. had developed and been authorised to do adequate testing for these tic borne bacteria . And low and behold in spite of big costs of these tests a few parents of Autists and some Adult Autists, went head in desperation to pay for these tests . And Found the Psyche doc , in the beginning was correct. And eventually discovered long term adequate treatment for these bacteria, gave relief or moderation of some of the more exaggerated symptoms of Autism. But not complete . :idea:

where ever you go ,there you are

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 7:59 pm

Autism is demonic possession

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2022, 8:35 pm

Being an atheist causes autism.
Letting your kids watch Peppa Pig causes autism
The non-stick coating on frying pans causes autism (seriously)
Non-vegan products cause autism
Anything made outside of the US causes autism
Being around cats causes autism. After all, cats all have ASD and it's very contagious.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 4:15 am

Not a conspiracy theory, but alternate connections. I think I got AS from my refrigerator mother BY GENETICS. The refrigerator aspect also gave me an attachment disorder. When I was vaccinated it was THE EXPERIENCE of getting an injection, without any mother-comfort that caused me to withdraw and start acting odd.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 6:09 am

I have seen recent ads inviting parents to join lawsuits against the makers of tylenol to blame use during pregnancy as the cause of their child's autism. I find this outrageous, but of course it is not about anything but going after big money in a settlement. Shakespeare was right. ( only partially sarcastic or cynical) (in the play Henry VI Shakespeare had a character saying "first thing we do, lets kill all the lawyers")

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 8:37 am

Dear_one wrote:
Not a conspiracy theory, but alternate connections. I think I got AS from my refrigerator mother BY GENETICS. The refrigerator aspect also gave me an attachment disorder. When I was vaccinated it was THE EXPERIENCE of getting an injection, without any mother-comfort that caused me to withdraw and start acting odd.
Funny how you talked about vaccines and refrigerators. When I was in clinics and hospitals getting my childhood vaccines, EVERYTHING in the setting screamed "refrigerator!! !". The pediatricians had horrible bedside manners, acting dismissive or mocking me when I felt scared, and my parents later punished me at home for showing fear during the injection. I didn't even have alcohol to turn to for comfort until I was 12, as most of those vaccines happened between ages 3 and 11.

I doubt any of the shots contained thimerosal (sp?), which allegedly causes autism. It was the pediatricians' callousness and my parents' narcissistic desire for a "brave" child that worsened my existing autism.

the xpax
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jun 2022, 9:54 am

How is it
that to be diagnosed asperger
I first had to test negative for autism
then suddenly aspergers IS autism ?
Our Syndrome is too
infuriating for research and statistical analysis
of autism
and frighteningly expensive for Health Care systems
since an explosion of diagnoses was predicted
when DSM V came out
in the youngest and older generations.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 11:16 am

Dear_one wrote:

This makes extra sense . And can relate to substantial similarities in my upbringing as well. :roll:

where ever you go ,there you are