Framework gun control agreement in Senate

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 3:03 pm

Senate negotiators announce framework deal on bipartisan gun package

Quote:
Key senators announced a framework agreement on new gun legislation Sunday, marking a breakthrough on a collection of measures to combat gun violence, including "red flag" laws and enhanced background checks on gun buyers.

The chief negotiators of the deal are Sen. Chris Murphy, D-Conn., an outspoken proponent of gun safety laws, and Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, a firm Second Amendment advocate who has promised the new measures won’t affect the gun rights of law-abiding Americans. The final bill hasn't been written yet, sources familiar with the negotiations said.

Unlike the series of gun bills authored by Democrats that passed the House last week, the Senate deal has a better chance of becoming law because it has support from key Republicans, who wield effective veto power over gun legislation in the Senate because of the 60-vote filibuster rule. The joint statement backing the deal was signed by 10 Democrats and 10 Republicans.

A centerpiece of the Senate deal is to provide substantial resources for states to implement "red flag" laws, which allow individuals like police or family members to petition courts to keep firearms away from people deemed a risk to themselves or others.

Currently, 19 states and the District of Columbia have red flag laws on the books. The new provisions are aimed at increasing that number and improving their implementation.

The agreement also establishes a more rigorous process for background checks on people between 18 and 21 years old, with an enhanced review that includes contacting state and local law enforcement for criminal records that could be disqualifying, and to appropriate state organizations for mental health information that could affect the decision.

The proposal also seeks to clarify ambiguities over who must register as a federally licensed firearm dealer for the purposes of conducting background checks.

It slaps new penalties on "straw purchasing" of firearms to improve prosecution of traffickers. And it authorizes new money for mental health services and school safety provisions.

The agreement would also include a provision to address the so-called boyfriend loophole on domestic violence, sources familiar with the negotiations said.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 3:08 pm

Quote:
Gun Control

Doesn't look like much to me.