Summertime and loud motorcycles and cars

Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Jun 2022, 5:54 pm

We also live right near a train track, and sometimes they blow the horn right by our place. I will take it though over the fireworks because it is more predictable. I've even got to where I can cover my ears in my sleep.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 6:04 pm

Wow. You live in a busy place! Where do you go to have quiet times?

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Jun 2022, 6:21 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Wow. You live in a busy place! Where do you go to have quiet times?

Heh, well actually its better than the last place I lived, that was worse. Usually here where I am currently at it is much more quiet except for the trains, but they are predictable so when they get close I know to plug my ears for a few moments while they go by. Out and about though is dealing with the loud motorcycles and cars, as we live in the city. Sometimes I really wish I could live out in the country!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 6:25 pm

Fireworks, lawn mowers, trains, buses, birds, rain and thunder, and other noises I can't think of right now, don't bother me at all. In fact when the landlords were mowing the lawn outside my bedroom window I found it so relaxing that I fell asleep to it!

But kids, distant music, footsteps in the apartment above, loud motorcycles...I just can't bear it.

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Jun 2022, 6:29 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Fireworks, lawn mowers, trains, buses, birds, rain and thunder, and other noises I can't think of right now, don't bother me at all. In fact when the landlords were mowing the lawn outside my bedroom window I found it so relaxing that I fell asleep to it!

But kids, distant music, footsteps in the apartment above, loud motorcycles...I just can't bear it.

I will trade you one distant music for one rain and thunder. I have trouble with thunder too, have to wear headphones or plug my ears if it is too loud. I try not to be around others when there is one since it is embarrassing.

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 11:58 pm

everyone talking in a room at once, background noise added in....hurts my body....painful

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2022, 3:22 am

Earthbound_Alien wrote:
everyone talking in a room at once, background noise added in....hurts my body....painful

Not sure how to describe it as to me it is not the same as pain but is a thing I want to get out of there and I want it to stop. Was torture in school. Lots of people talking in a hall or a room. Halls were worse for me because of the echoes that came on top of it. All I could do was put my hands over my ears as hard as I could to avoid the noise and wait. Was one of the few times I would ever rock back and fore to try to comfort myself as I never usually did that. Is worst then when someone tries to talk to me when I am trying to endure that enviroment. I would usually lie and say I had a headache because I did not know how to describe it. Was not pain but was "TOO MUCH AMPLIFIED". I don't know what to call it. Is... too much? "NEED TO GET OUT OF HERE BY ANY MEANS" sort of feeling. If I am not allowed out, PANIC! Not sure how to describe it.
Soon learned in school that if it was raining I would hide somewhere outside in the rain and keep a lookout for patrolling teachers whos job it was to send me to the hall so I did not get wet. I would end up soaked through but I would rather spend half the day soaking wet then endure the hall, so I would (Due to the design of the school) hide but keep a lookout and keep re-locating my hiding place if I saw a distant teacher. Anything to avoid the hall when the kids got noisy and excited!
School assemblies were usually ok as there was no talking and when there was singing, everyone was singing the same things so it was not too bad. It was when there were lots and lots of voices all saying different things at the same time... The "Din" of lots of talking voices... Or worse still the "Lots of excited children all making noise!"
For some reason outside was not really an issue. In the hall and the echoey noises put me in a "Claustrophobic panic". I think that describes it the best. The sort of panic I had when playing rugby and having the scrum pile on top of me and in the panic, though I was at the time the shortest kid in the class and skinny with it, I would in my panic lift the whole scrum. I hated playing rugby because of it due to the claustrophobic moments it has while playing.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2022, 1:25 pm

I really like my home, because of the quietness.
Normally, I hear no noice. No cars, no trains, no stupid teenagers.
If I step outside I can hear the train, but just barely. I can hear cars but they're so far away so it's ok.
Basically, the only thing that annoys me, at home, is the garbage collection. But well, it has to be done.
I'm not out in the wilderness btw, I'm smack in the middle of my city, small one, 30k or so, but still.

/Mats

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jun 2022, 10:41 pm

I can't believe this thread. I HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE motorcycles and loud exhausts. I also don't think this is necessarily an autistic thing. There are NTs who detest this noise as well, but maybe a higher percentage of autistics hate it than NTs. Anyways, what's WRONG with people, NOT raising their kids to despise loud engines such that they grow up to be the as*holes who use loud engines, revving them up for attention? I recently moved; the man diagonally across from me has a regular looking car but it has TWO exhaust pipes.

He lets it run up to 15 minutes before driving away, and it's loud as he drives off, and I can continue hearing it in the distance. What a dumb Fck he is. And his dumbazz wife tolerates it.

And the loudness of most motorcycles is deafening. What morons, they'll be SO hard of hearing before they're 50, but will never admit their eventual need for hearing aids was due to their motorcycles. Or shall I say "hogs"? And they zip in and out between cars at high speeds on highways, not wearing a helmut. These morons are total F'd up idiots with no regard to road safety or the eardrums of other motorists or people outside walking their dogs, etc.

Vroom, Vroom, Vroom....WHAT IS THE POINT?

It's true: The loudness of a man's engine is INVERSTELY proportional to the size of his d*ck.

I used to live in an area where I'd hear, all throughout the day, the rumbling of clusters of motorcycles on the way to a Harley superstore that was built several years after I moved there, about a mile from me, but the road leading to it was visible from my window. All day long, clusters of bikes roaring by to hang out at that store's weekend events. LOSERS. There should be a law banning loud pipes, strongly enforced, and harsh penalties for violations.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2022, 11:09 pm

Elgee wrote:
I can't believe this thread. I HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE motorcycles and loud exhausts.<snip>
Vroom, Vroom, Vroom....WHAT IS THE POINT?

It is fun, for people mostly thinking about themselves. Vehicles are powered body enhancements to "live large" in. Expecting the world to go by library rules will only frustrate you, though. When I can't handle the noise here, I go someplace nice and quiet before I get crazy, and enjoy the break.

BTW, I'm still realizing how much of my childhood was affected by my AS mother's dislike for noise. I can do renovations with really minimal disturbance to the residents, provided I remember to not work all night. Roommates have complained that moving normally for me is like sneaking up on them.

About half the collisions around here involve Deer, and there are few human ears around, so I'm not quick to fix my muffler. Some of what you hear may be similar rural visitors.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 12:54 am

I'm thinking of filling a bunch of water balloons with paint, going out at night and throwing them at the cars as they race by, but the street is actually pretty well lit and even if I wore black they'd probably still see me. :evil:

hmk66
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jun 2022, 12:44 am

I don't hate motorcycles and cars. They are not too loud. But mopeds and scooters (but not motor scooters) are way louder than cars and motorcycles.

Especially cars that are driven in a civilized way (not too much gas) are not loud at all.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 12:54 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
I'm thinking of filling a bunch of water balloons with paint, going out at night and throwing them at the cars as they race by, but the street is actually pretty well lit and even if I wore black they'd probably still see me. :evil:

Is your goal to cause an accident or just to be an as*hole?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 2:34 pm

Sometimes I do wish the world could be quieter - and I don't mean silent, just more bearable, like having crèches in supermarkets for parents to leave their brats so that we can have less screaming tantrums to listen to while shopping, and designing motorcycles to not be as loud (I don't mind a bit loud but not roaring so loud that it worries me). Those are just examples.

But this is where autism is a CURSE, because you're expected to just put up with all the horrible noises, and people judge you if you put your fingers in your ears or even if you just walk away from the loud noise, like if a toddler is screaming and I walk away or sigh the mother will glare at me and take it personally. It's not you, it's not your kid, it's just that I don't have filters for these noises and the sound of babies and children under 4 is just a sound that makes me really anxious and edgy. I wish people would just ignore me but they don't. Instead they like to shame me.

This is why I hate autism. Even other autistics don't understand me. They just say "oh it's just a baby, you can't stop them crying, so get over it". If you're going to say that, just f**k off. I get better sympathy from (childless) NTs who just respond as "yeah, babies do my head in too". That's much better.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 3:00 pm

Motorcycles are not "designed to be loud." The owners choose to equip them that way. Even office workers used to show a clear preference for noisier typewriters - for themselves. Things like vacuum cleaners and fans could also be much quieter, but they would be bigger and/or more expensive.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 10:50 pm

Dear_one wrote:
Motorcycles are not "designed to be loud." The owners choose to equip them that way. Even office workers used to show a clear preference for noisier typewriters - for themselves. Things like vacuum cleaners and fans could also be much quieter, but they would be bigger and/or more expensive.

In that case, that means I can whine about loud cars and motorcycles, if they're only loud on purpose. According to this site you can only express upset about noises that can be helped or are made on purpose.