Summertime and loud motorcycles and cars

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Jun 2022, 7:51 pm

Anyone else have trouble with the warm weather due to the amount of loud motorcycles and cars? I barely drive but when i go out with my husband I hate how at most stop lights there is some loud Harley Davidson motorcycle or car and even with the windows closed I have to plug my ears because the loud roar cuts right through me. They seem to be everywhere. I love summer, but this makes it hard, not to mention the fireworks (shudder). I have trouble with the noise.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 1:50 am

The lack of snow does reduce the quiet, but it is the extended hours of work I worry about more. I'm fine with motorcycles in general, but chainsaws and other little 2-strokes set off my PTSD. I'm also very unhappy about reversing alarms beeping away. They are usually completely wasted, but even worse, they can now be replaced with cameras and have not been.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 3:32 am

Loud motorcycles are annoying

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 3:54 am

I hate loud motorcycles. Such a sharp noise that carries on forever. I hate cars with noisy engines too and they backfire as they roar down the road.

Another thing I hate in the summer is neighbours having barbecues. We live in an apartment so there's limited space for people to have these barbecue parties, and so they're right outside your bedroom window, and they have noisy kids that run around screeching and pulling trikes and things along the concrete.

God I hate people.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 4:21 am

Yes, all of the above, except for children, annoys me.
Well, some children annoys me too, but not "normal" behaviour like playing with their trikes or crying doesn't.
BBQ, it's mostly the smell. It would be OK if it was just one neighbour but when I have it on four sides it gets too much.
Thankfully, where I live now, it's just one neighbour, and far from every day.

Another thing about cars, when they play LOUD music with the windows rolled down, and it's almost always BAD music!

/Mats

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 7:57 am

Parents sniping at their children annoys me more than the kids. Also leaf blowers and lawnmowers. And jet-skis. And people on skateboards endlessly doing "ollies".

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 11:33 am

I hear cars racing around and being as loud as possible all day and most of the night every few seconds all year round. I'm really hoping they crash the car and kill themselves soon. :evil:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 12:06 pm

Lady Strange wrote:
Anyone else have trouble with the warm weather due to the amount of loud motorcycles and cars? I barely drive but when i go out with my husband I hate how at most stop lights there is some loud Harley Davidson motorcycle or car and even with the windows closed I have to plug my ears because the loud roar cuts right through me. They seem to be everywhere. I love summer, but this makes it hard, not to mention the fireworks (shudder). I have trouble with the noise.

I actually puzzle why people want to make their Harleys and other motorcycles and cars sound loud because they are fitting performance exhausts to machines that are not built with performance in mind. Better to buy a Fireblade or something like that if one wants performance, or these days both with cars and motorbikes, if one wants something to out accelerate anything else out there buy an electric car or motorbike as there is nothing much out there that will touch them! (Have you seen a Tesla going down a drag strip?)
Don't buy them to save the enviroment though, because electric vehicles statements as being "Greener" than piston engined vehicles are a complete lie at the moment! As just to make them pollutes a good ten times more pollution than building AND running an average piston engined vehicle during its lifetime.
Calling them "Green" they are not, but for their performance and practicallity for city driving (Buy a small electric car or an electric motorcycle for the city commute) and they are not only in their element, but they will save you money in the long run and not many piston engined vehicles can accelerate like them! The ideal stealth "Show off" vehicles! Just be aware that if heavy footed, the savings in fuel will be offset by the cost of replacing tyres as those vehicles really have some go!

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 12:16 pm

I lived in Bristol for a while and heard extremely loud motorbike engines every day. Around here I don't hear them at all .ever.

So, I'm thinking it was the same annoying person each time. When it was happening I just dismissed it as a motorbike culture in the UK, thinking it must be a common thing.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 12:41 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
I actually puzzle why people want to make their Harleys and other motorcycles and cars sound loud because they are fitting performance exhausts to machines that are not built with performance in mind. Better to buy a Fireblade or something like that if one wants performance, or these days both with cars and motorbikes, if one wants something to out accelerate anything else out there buy an electric car or motorbike as there is nothing much out there that will touch them! (Have you seen a Tesla going down a drag strip?)
Don't buy them to save the enviroment though, because electric vehicles statements as being "Greener" than piston engined vehicles are a complete lie at the moment! As just to make them pollutes a good ten times more pollution than building AND running an average piston engined vehicle during its lifetime.
Calling them "Green" they are not, but for their performance and practicallity for city driving (Buy a small electric car or an electric motorcycle for the city commute) and they are not only in their element, but they will save you money in the long run and not many piston engined vehicles can accelerate like them! The ideal stealth "Show off" vehicles! Just be aware that if heavy footed, the savings in fuel will be offset by the cost of replacing tyres as those vehicles really have some go!

Motorcyclists are often hit by car drivers who don't see them, so they hope that "loud pipes save lives." Around here, most of the loud mufflers are just rusted out, not planned, but the noise can be pleasant for the driver, just as mechanical typists preferred their own machine to be noisy, and others to be quiet.
The noise is just one aspect of the madness on our roads. Technically, there is no good reason for a land vehicle to weigh more than it carries, so in developed country, over 80% of the traffic is there for image and other silly motives stirred up by advertising. It is actually more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 12:49 pm

Usually children between the ages of birth to about 5 years agitate me in public places because they're unpredictable. The sound of a baby crying is the worst. I don't like tiny babies much, they're miserable, smelly, gassy, noisy things that all look and sound the same. Yes, even I was as a tiny baby too. Babies get cuter as they get older. Tiny babies have scrunched up confused faces as if they're thinking "help, I can't stand being alive!"

Anyway, enough derailing the thread. I hate when people make their exhaust pipe loud on purpose, just to grab attention. It should be illegal. Too much noise pollution. A bus or a huge truck makes less noise than some of these stupid motorcycles or sports cars.

A friend once told me that she loved loud motorcycles, and the louder the better. I don't care how smart a motorcycle or car looks, if it's too loud then I'll want to flee like a frightened cat.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 12:59 pm

Those loud things do cause measurable physical stress effects.
Even trains when they get loud; exhausts, bells, horns, whistles.
Trains can also be surprisingly quiet at times.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 1:47 pm

FYI - a loud exhaust signals inefficiency. It is caused by the exhaust valve opening while there is still useful pressure in the cylinder. When a big engine is barely working, it is quiet, but to develop more power, it has to waste the lower pressures. You can sneak around with no muffler, until you have to go up hill. Racing engines are the most wasteful, because they are regulated according to the cylinder volume, and try to use it at maximum pressure. Racing is exciting, and so people associate that noise with fun times.
If you can manage to enjoy an activity, the noise it produces may then stop bothering you. There is a recording of a very small engine in a streamlined motorcycle, struggling to reach top speed for miles that I've listened to several times as music. There's even a Jackson Browne recording with a GM 6-71 diesel acting as a drone instrument.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 3:52 pm

I found out my car has a three cylinder engine even though it looks like a four. It isn't loud but makes a very satisfying noise climbing hills if it is at lower revs. Is an interesting engine. The petrol version is revvy and the exhaust sounds raspy. Needs an entire new exhaust system as it has been weldes many times. Still has the same sort of sound only quieter when its exhaust is sorted. (Is off the road at the moment. Bought it cheap from my brother as he was going to scrap it). Same car as the one I use but the one I use has a diesel engine, slightly wider wheels and a few extra extras as the petrol version is the budget model. Both are economical and have 3 cylinder engines.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 4:00 pm

I used to scoff at engines with odd numbers of cylinders, but on a four, all the pistons stop at the same time, but the three has them take turns. I use 3-cylinder cars, because they are still the lightest ones I can afford. It costs me less than $200 pa for parts and depreciation.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 4:15 pm

I have two threes (Petrol and diesel), and have had many 4's in petrol and diesel, three 5's in petrol from two makes and a V6 in petrol. Brother has had a 7,200cc V8 and a 3,600cc straight six. (Both American cars) but neither was he able to get on the road. They both did run but needed work.