Watching the same parts of a movie many times

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 7:37 am

This reminds me of when I watched Top Gun (original) when I was in a children's home. One of the other kids sat there saying the script word for word at the same time as the actors. He must have watched it over and over to be able to do that.

I have been known to enjoy watching repeats of certain things myself but not to that extreme.

I thought it was quite funny at the time.

Finn Razelle
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jul 2022, 7:47 pm

Skipping to favorite scenes in TV shows and watching them several times--yes. Especially those "key" moments of character development, emotion, or important "reveals."

The last week or so, I've been watching and re-watching "The Witcher" on Netflix over and over and over... From Episode 1 Season 1, all the way through the end of Season 2. (In my off hours each evening.) As soon as I get to the end, I find myself flipping back to the beginning and starting over again. So rare to find such a captivating story with excellent actors and characters, and each time I re-watch it, I notice something new. I think I've watched both seasons at least four or five times by now... Not sure how many more repetitions I'll indulge in before moving on to the next thing, but who cares? It's simultaneously entertaining and comforting... I guess maybe a form of "stimming" (?)

Like going back to visit old friends who never get tired of seeing you. Anyone else relate?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 8:38 pm

I find myself watching the same Austin Powers clips over again on YouTube.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 8:58 pm

There are a few movies that I watch over and over again, but I don’t single out specific scenes. I watch them from beginning to end.

bmasters1981
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Jul 2022, 3:47 am

Finn Razelle wrote:
So rare to find such a captivating story with excellent actors and characters, and each time I re-watch it, I notice something new.

Like going back to visit old friends who never get tired of seeing you. Anyone else relate?

This is how I am on Emergency!-- that NBC medical/action series of the 70s grew on me very quickly, especially because of its two main characters (firemen/paramedics John Gage [Randolph Mantooth] and Roy DeSoto [Kevin Tighe]); it wasn't just them though, because the doctors and nurse at Rampart General Hospital also grew on me (Dr. Kelly Brackett [Robert Fuller], nurse Dixie McCall [Julie London], Dr. Joe Early [Bobby Troup] and Dr. Mike Morton [Ron Pinkard]).

Long story short, all those characters have made that series well-worth the money on DVD for me.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Jul 2022, 9:04 pm

I sometimes watch the scene of Mary Henry driving her car into the night and seeing the ghostly Herk Harvey (the director) appear beside and before her car in the 1962 black and white thriller, Carnival of Souls.

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jul 2022, 5:42 am

I watch some scenes over and over but then I am analyzing the scenes.

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 7:17 am

Finn Razelle wrote:
Skipping to favorite scenes in TV shows and watching them several times--yes. Especially those "key" moments of character development, emotion, or important "reveals."

The last week or so, I've been watching and re-watching "The Witcher" on Netflix over and over and over... From Episode 1 Season 1, all the way through the end of Season 2. (In my off hours each evening.) As soon as I get to the end, I find myself flipping back to the beginning and starting over again. So rare to find such a captivating story with excellent actors and characters, and each time I re-watch it, I notice something new. I think I've watched both seasons at least four or five times by now... Not sure how many more repetitions I'll indulge in before moving on to the next thing, but who cares? It's simultaneously entertaining and comforting... I guess maybe a form of "stimming" (?)

This idea of finding comfort in rewatching favorite moments or entire shows and movies seems common among some of us on the Spectrum. For me, at least, the lack of surprise and the guaranteed joy of seeing or hearing something again that I found compelling is VERY soothing. I even fall asleep with a favorite movie on, drifting off with the same pleasant pattern of thought that struck me on first viewing.
An ex of mine introduced me to the idea of having a favorite show or movie on when falling asleep.
It seemed SO odd and obsessive at first, but I quickly gained a deep appreciation for this form of stimming / repetitive action.

I often do gain additional little snippets of insight on multiple viewings, too. Small visual details, facial expressions that I didn't quite catch before, clever wordplay, etc, are all wonderful to catch on to in later viewings.

Darron

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

09 Dec 2022, 7:26 am

There are a lot of examples I could probably think of but the first thing that popped in my head was the opening scene from Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith. It's just so dramatic and exciting, after the main theme ends and the words go up, and the camera pans down to a view of a ship in Coruscant's upper atmosphere with an ominous drum beat slowly getting louder, then the force theme starts majestically playing as two starfighters are flying over the ship until suddenly the chaos of the battle is revealed.

Sometimes I think about that scene and have to re-watch it on YouTube.

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 4:52 pm

I've taken interest in the movie 'Boogie Nights' (a 1970s era film) - as I'm originally from the Los Angeles Region near where 'Boogie Nights' took place. I noted how 1970s era music I remember from the time (music I still seek-out to this day) was blended into the movie.

I've viewed the DVD with director's and actor commentaries, and deleted scences. I periodically search online for mentions of the movie e.g., people who discusses 1970s era memories of the time and places where the movie took place.

Naked Atira
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Dec 2022, 7:16 am

I do this sometimes, not usually very frequently, but I do. I did it more when I was younger.
Sometimes I'll put on a film to watch a certain scene, if it's funny, I'll watch it over again, like a scene where a man was stuttering in the movie, 'The Angriest Man In Brooklyn'.