Ever think of a song before hearing it?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 1:54 am

On my way to work I was thinking about two Pink Floyd songs called Comfortably Numb and Another Brick in the Wall part 2. When I turned on the radio, both songs were playing at the same time on different stations.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 5:27 am

Hehe! Yep, I've done that a few times.
Would freak out Kathy.
There was even a time when we were driving to the city and the radio host guy was talking about something then paused.
I said "Absolutely."
Then he said "Absolutely."
That really rattled Kathy.
I was greatly amused.
And quite satisfied.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 5:57 am

Quite often I know what song's about to start on the radio, during that 1-2 second gap between songs.
It's like I know what notes will emerge from that brief silence.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 6:01 am

I have a lot of different playlists on my phone and one playlist I made is the songs that are (often repeatedly) on the radio at work, but for months there were some songs that they didn't seem to play on the radio any more, so I took them off my playlist. Then - you guessed it - I heard those exact songs play on the radio the very next day!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 8:32 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
On my way to work I was thinking about two Pink Floyd songs called Comfortably Numb and Another Brick in the Wall part 2.  When I turned on the radio, both songs were playing at the same time on different stations.
Those songs get a lot of airplay on "Boomer Music" stations.
kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
There was even a time when we were driving to the city and the radio host guy was talking about something then paused.  I said "Absolutely."  Then he said "Absolutely."
The speaker likely uses the word "Absolutely" a lot.  This is not at all unusual.
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Quite often I know what song's about to start on the radio, during that 1-2 second gap between songs.  It's like I know what notes will emerge from that brief silence.
Many stations have a regular "playlist" of songs in a pre-determined order.  One local "Boomer Music" station (in Los Angeles) plays the same 50 or so songs in a certain order that repeats once every 17 hours (plus or minus for bumpers, commerical breaks, DJ chatter, et cetera).
Joe90 wrote:
I have a lot of different playlists on my phone and one playlist I made is the songs that are (often repeatedly) on the radio at work, but for months there were some songs that they didn't seem to play on the radio any more, so I took them off my playlist.  Then - you guessed it - I heard those exact songs play on the radio the very next day!
Seems purely coincidental to me.

My ex-wife tried to convince me that she had precognitive abilities.  If the phone rang, she would tell me, "I knew someone was about to call!"  If a random song came on the radio, she would proclaim, "I knew this song was next!" after the song started playing.  After the winner of a beauty pageant would be announced, she would say, "I knew she would win!"

She became angry with me when I suggested that she write down her predictions before the predicted events occurred.  She insisted she had "powers" that made her more special than anyone else she knew, and that she did not have to prove anything to me because a "good" husband would simply believe whatever his wife told him.

This is the same woman whose wedding vows promised love, honor, respect, and fidelity to me "until death do us part.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 8:37 am

Fnord wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Quite often I know what song's about to start on the radio, during that 1-2 second gap between songs.  It's like I know what notes will emerge from that brief silence.
Many stations have a regular "playlist" of songs in a pre-determined order.  One local "Boomer Music" station (in Los Angeles) plays the same 50 or so songs in a certain order that repeats once every 17 hours (plus or minus for bumpers, commerical breaks, DJ chatter, et cetera).arl Sagan

I don't even own a radio. I haven't played my car radio in years. I don't go in shops or anything because I order online.

The times I hear a radio at someone else's house are very few and far between, and not always the same station.

I really doubt I've subconsciously memorised any playlists.

This also happened in the 1980s when I did have a radio but DJs didn't use playlists.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 8:48 am

Fnord wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
On my way to work I was thinking about two Pink Floyd songs called Comfortably Numb and Another Brick in the Wall part 2.  When I turned on the radio, both songs were playing at the same time on different stations.
There was even a time when we were driving to the city and the radio host guy was talking about something then paused.  I said "Absolutely."  Then he said "Absolutely."
The speaker likely uses the word "Absolutely" a lot.  This is not at all unusual.
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Many stations have a regular "playlist" of songs in a pre-determined order.  One local "Boomer Music" station (in Los Angeles) plays the same 50 or so songs in a certain order that repeats once every 17 hours (plus or minus for bumpers, commerical breaks, DJ chatter, et cetera).
Joe90 wrote:
I have a lot of different playlists on my phone and one playlist I made is the songs that are (often repeatedly) on the radio at work, but for months there were some songs that they didn't seem to play on the radio any more, so I took them off my playlist.  Then - you guessed it - I heard those exact songs play on the radio the very next day!

My ex-wife tried to convince me that she had precognitive abilities.  If the phone rang, she would tell me, "I knew someone was about to call!"  If a random song came on the radio, she would proclaim, "I knew this song was next!" after the song started playing.  After the winner of a beauty pageant would be announced, she would say, "I knew she would win!"

She became angry with me when I suggested that she write down her predictions before the predicted events occurred.  She insisted she had "powers" that made her more special than anyone else she knew, and that she did not have to prove anything to me because a "good" husband would simply believe whatever his wife told him.

This is the same woman whose wedding vows promised love, honor, respect, and fidelity to me "until death do us part.

No. You are completely incorrect. It is all due to ESP and precognition.

Evidence: My self proclaimed expertise, which was always good enough for Carl Sagan and James Randi.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 9:00 am

Synchronicity is a concept used to describe circumstances that only appear meaningfully related yet lack a causal connection.  It is often exploited by storefront "psychics" and other charlatans to convince their  suckers  clients that the "psychic" has real powers.

"Correlation does not imply causation." -- attributed to many

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 9:01 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

No. You are completely incorrect. It is all due to ESP and precognition.

Evidence: My self proclaimed expertise, which was always good enough for Carl Sagan and James Randi.
I knew you were going to say that.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 9:04 am

No one here is claiming to be a psychic.
We're sharing whether or not we've had the (music) experience.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 9:09 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
No one here is claiming to be a psychic.  We're sharing whether or not we've had the (music) experience.
In that case, I have experienced this coincidental event many times myself.

That thing I mentioned about the 17-hour playlist . . . I used to freak people out by saying, "The next song will be . . .", and being right most of the time; but only when listening to that particular radio station.

The sad part was when the station switched from a "Top 50 Boomer Music" format to Spanish-language Banda, Mariachi, and Narcocorrido music format about 10-15 years ago, so now I cannot play my "Mind Trick" anymore.

:(

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 9:51 am

Fnord wrote:
Synchronicity is a concept used to describe circumstances that only appear meaningfully related yet lack a causal connection.  It is often exploited by storefront "psychics" and other charlatans to convince their  suckers  clients that the "psychic" has real powers.

"Correlation does not imply causation." -- attributed to many

Coincidence of course. But what are the odds of contemplating the lyrics of two specific songs and then hearing those songs in progress as soon as I turned on the radio? In other words I was going over their lyrics in my head as they were simultaneously playing on those two stations.

While it's not a phenomenal event, it's not the sort of thing that happens everyday.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 9:56 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
No one here is claiming to be a psychic.
We're sharing whether or not we've had the (music) experience.

Indeed. Just one if those fun little quirks in life.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 12:26 pm

I was feeling the desire to listen to a certain song and it came on YouTube!! ! What a coincidence!!

(Just kidding)

Yes those things in OP do happen e.g. my friend said a word then it was sung in a song immediately after.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 1:16 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
. . . what are the odds of contemplating the lyrics of two specific songs and then hearing those songs in progress as soon as I turned on the radio? . . .
If this happens constantly -- you always "know" what the next two songs will be -- then that would be extremely significant.  Once in a lifetime?  Not so significant.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2022, 1:45 pm

Would someone who is good at this type of stuff please accompany me to the horse races some weekend ?

Oh Yes , btw , I can claim to be cyclical…..err.. uhmm… YES psychic….and magic in my spare time . But if I explained it , it would become one of those , you woulda had to be there (repeated) things . Have had many many coincidences ,that I did not want to believe , but oddly when analyzed the logic became irrefutable. Many times dodging coincidences has saved me a traffic ticket several times or even the interactions with driving and law enforcement .
:D 8O :D 8O 8)

where ever you go ,there you are