Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2022, 8:22 pm

a customer at work had the nerve to call me "boy". that was the same customer that had the nerve to tell me that "i don't care about the doctor note. put it in the car." (i have a doctor note that i am not allowed to lift over fifty pounds.) (39. the customer appeared about 60)

a day laborer had the nerve to tell me "Chino, you ain't doin' nothing, boy". (still 39. the day laborer appeared about 21. things not always the way they appear.). the lil dipshit was screaming across the parking lot.

Cortez had the nerve to flick me in the ear. i screamed. cortez and some other idiot burst out laughing like it was the funniest thing in the solar system. "please do not do that again". "i'm sorry, baby". (cortez was 36, and i was 38)

plenty of customers had the nerve to call me "muchacho or young man".

i look younger than i am, but plenty of asians do.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2022, 9:48 pm

Called a child? No. Treated like one? Yeah, that happens more than I'd like to admit.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2022, 6:18 am

I have been told I am child like in my curiosity and enthusiasms, but have not been called childish or immature for many many years now. There is a very distinct difference in being child like as opposed to childish. Many older folks called me "child" of course when I was under 20 or so.
I don't think I'd get called "child" much any more except as a sort of regional "ism" of cultural speech in certain areas of the country or from an older adult (I am 70) who lives or has lived/maybe grew up in those areas.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

kmb501
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Aug 2022, 10:29 pm

It...happens to me so often it may be one of the reasons I developed a humiliation fetish, as well as believing that I can't really do anything right and feel like an imposter when I'm given adult responsibilities.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 10:38 pm

I get referred to as a "kid" a lot by people, get treated like one, and get mistaken for someone much younger by people who don't know me. I know that 21 years old is still pretty young, but my peers don't get referred to as a "kid". People aren't being mean, either. I am pretty stunted, and I do appreciate the patience they give me, though I always feel weird about being thought of like that. Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever manage to be seen as an "adult" instead of a "kid".

spicyjelly
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Aug 2022, 11:09 pm

I haven't been called a child directly, but I certainly get treated like one.

Carl Friedrich Gauss
Raven
Raven

13 Aug 2022, 4:47 am

Once I was called. But interesting thing for me was I always thought that I never grew up. And I never see a difference between a 5 years old kid and a 75 years old person. I guess this is because of my Asperger's. I always felt that I am a millennium years old child. Maybe I am wrong but I am thinking that this difference may root from patriarchal system which everything is controlled by men. And I always hate patriarchal system.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 7:40 am

I get called child and kid all the time. I don't mind. It's a lot better than being expected to be a mature adult who does adult things.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 5:05 pm

a passenger on the bus called me a child because i wouldnt let her get on without paying her fare
hows that being a child?...i was just doing my job

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 5:10 pm

Caz72 wrote:
a passenger on the bus called me a child because i wouldnt let her get on without paying her fare
hows that being a child?...i was just doing my job

This is why I see being called immature or a child is an insult, because people sometimes calls someone a child who isn't being the least bit childish just because they want to insult them.

Garthilium
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Aug 2022, 10:02 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I get called child and kid all the time. I don't mind. It's a lot better than being expected to be a mature adult who does adult things.

yeah that is how I feel on it plus people call me child or childish for carrying a stuffed animal around and I'd rather that then have adult expectations I can't do. plus it makes me happy doing things that maybe seen as younger since I just enjoy it without like caring about their views on it.