Texas State troopers accused of also holding back in Uvalde

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2022, 9:25 am

Up to 13 state troopers waited in Uvalde school hallway during shooting: senato

Quote:
Texas state Sen. Roland Gutierrez (D) said there were as many as 13 Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) troopers in a hallway during last month’s school shooting in Uvalde that left 19 children and two adults dead.
Gutierrez, citing a recent interaction with DPS Director Steven McCraw, said more than a dozen troopers were in the hallway at Robb Elementary School as law enforcement delayed its response to the mass shooting.

“He told me there was enough people and equipment to breach the door,” Gutierrez said of his encounter with McCraw, according to the San Antonio Express-News.

Gutierrez, whose district includes Uvalde, has previously said that the school district’s police chief, Pete Arredondo, who was overseeing officers at the scene, was never informed that children were calling 911 from inside the school.
He has also previously told The Associated Press that a state agency investigating the shooting found Arredondo was not carrying a police radio during the shooting.

“They’re cowards,” Arnulfo Reyes, a teacher at Robb Elementary School, said of police.

All of Reyes’s 11 students were killed in the shooting, and he was injured.

“They sit there and did nothing for our community,” Reyes said. “They took a long time to go in. … I will never forgive them”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2022, 5:14 pm

So local police and state troopers are both saying there were OHS issues about saving lives again??

As with those who watched the homeless guy drown, all this does is lower respect the public have for their police in times of crisis. I mean during the 9-11 terror attacks did the cops stand around shrugging their shoulders saying "sheesh!" that's not in my contract. Let's go to the donut shop.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2022, 6:47 pm

It's not a popular opinion, but it's my ambition to never need the cops.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2022, 6:50 pm

Persephone29 wrote:

From what I hear a lot of people don't bother calling the cops because all it does is invite trouble

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2022, 7:47 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:

From what I hear a lot of people don't bother calling the cops because all it does is invite trouble

Some are more afraid of the cops than they are of criminals.

I debate whether Abbott's actions or inactions are worse.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2022, 8:02 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:

Some are more afraid of the cops than they are of criminals.

I debate whether Abbott's actions or inactions are worse.

It's kind of a lottery

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2022, 8:18 pm

cyberdad wrote:
So local police and state troopers are both saying there were OHS issues about saving lives again??

As with those who watched the homeless guy drown, all this does is lower respect the public have for their police in times of crisis. I mean during the 9-11 terror attacks did the cops stand around shrugging their shoulders saying "sheesh!" that's not in my contract. Let's go to the donut shop.

Exactly.

I can't believe people aren't rioting there.
It's murder-by-police-negligence.
We've seen that before, but this time it was children and teachers.

If that happened where I live people would refuse to pay taxes.
We'd get up and leave.
I can't imagine having to depend on that police force for anything.

They should all be charged with accomplice to murder or manslaughter.
It's neglect of duty.
At the very least they should lose their jobs if found guilty of wrongdoing.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2022, 8:38 pm

That's definitely on the cards for those cowards. If the police want role models for how to conduct themselves they should take a leaf from the brave officers who faced the rabid hordes on the Jan 6 riots.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2022, 8:40 pm

Eugene Goodman's bravery in the face of armed rioters on Jan 6 was exemplary

These are the type of cops I want protecting me. Not selfish, "protect my own ass" poor excuses for cops.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2022, 8:44 pm

I compare them to the POS park rangers in the Gabby Petito case.
Their incompetence led to murder.

I don't even want to show their sorry pictures on here.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2022, 8:48 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

I remember that case. They have no shortage of excuses for why didn't save Gaby from a violent partner.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2022, 11:32 pm

cyberdad wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

I remember that case. They have no shortage of excuses for why didn't save Gaby from a violent partner.

But he seemed nice and had scratches that she must have brutally inflicted on him for no reason(even though it looked like scratches you'd get if you tried to grab someone violently and they resist the scratches where on his arms where I don't see a woman just attacking, more looks like if he was doing something to her and she fought back). even though at the same time the officers said to him 'well a 110 pound woman is not much threat against you' I just wonder if that offhand comment emboldened him to commit the murder knowing the cops even said it would be hard for her to like win physical a fight against him.

But also I thought it was reported by some other civilian that the observed her BF hitting her, so like it is kind of weird they did not focus on that and jumped to her defending her self made her abusive when the call that even got there attention was someone reporting he was hitting her and they barely investigated that. So what do they think the person who called just imagined it..or they just didn't want to acknowledge it? Also even from what she said kind of sounded like her bf was threatening to just abandon her on the road in probably 85% farenhiehgt or basically very hot weather where you should at least be supplied with some water. Seems like the bf just wanted her to wander off thirstily so he could leave her in the middle of nowhere, when that didn't pan out he decided she should die for it. Apparently he was even trying to disallow her accessing her phone.

But he seemed nice so a nice hotel accomodation was given to him, while the girl was just left to drive the van around and maybe find a camp shower. wheras after the initial cutting contact period ended he certainly would have been pressuring her to come pick him up....and then he could more easily murder her. Perhaps blamed the police interactig with them on her, even though he was initially the one observed abusing her. Like once the cops did what they did, she didn't stand a chance.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2022, 2:23 am

If you think the Gaby Petito case was bad, here a case where the perpetrator against an innocent young woman was a cop and he was never arrested
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ation.html

No shortage of these stories - cops protecting their own

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 4:19 am

The Uvalde Police Response Is a National Scandal The Uvalde Police Response Is a National Scandal - Noah Rothman for Commentary

Quote:
oming on the heels of a mass shooting event in Buffalo, New York, the massacre of schoolchildren in Uvalde, Texas just ten days later appeared to be yet another intolerable episode of mass gun violence in the United States. This specific sort of violence is, primarily, an American problem, and it is being addressed at a national level. Right now, a legislative framework prompted by this attack is in the crafting stages in the U.S. Senate. But this was not just another mass shooting. The more we learn about what happened in Uvalde, the less this event seems to lend itself to legislative remedies.

On Monday, the details of what occurred as this horrific episode unfolded changed yet again. Reportedly, Uvalde police officers and Texas state troopers, who were armed with rifles and ballistic shields, did enter the school building while the attack was ongoing. Radio transcripts and surveillance footage viewed by the Texas Tribune revealed that the responding officers lingered outside the one classroom in which the shooter was executing children, but they stayed there for nearly one hour before entering the room.

Police were not without the means to gain entry to that classroom. A forcible entry tool designed to breach locked doors was on the scene within minutes of law enforcement’s response, but no one brought the tool into the school for almost an hour. Instead, officers waited for someone to bring keys that would unlock the classroom door. “It took about six minutes for a set of keys to arrive, and the chief began testing them on a different classroom door,” the Tribune reported. Over the course of an agonizing, bloody hour, radio traffic indicates that responding officers loitered and argued over the need to have a “supervisor approve” of breaching the classroom in question. Finally, 77 minutes after the shooting started, a Border Patrol tactical team initiated forced entry and neutralized the gunman.

“The classroom door, it turned out, could not be locked from the inside, yet there is no indication officers tried to open the door while the gunman was inside,” the Associated Press reported on Tuesday after Texas’s Department of Public Safety chief testified to the “abject failure” of law enforcement. “I have great reasons to believe it was never secured,” Col. Steve McCraw said. “How about trying the door and seeing if it’s locked?” He added that “because terrible decisions” were made by law enforcement, it’s clear “not enough training was done in this situation.”

This isn’t the first time that local law enforcement’s version of events has evolved. DPS initially claimed that the shooter “was engaged by law enforcement” outside the school before he “unfortunately” gained entry to the building. Later, we learned that was not the case. Indeed, school district police chief Pete Arredondo stopped treating the active shooter scenario as an “active shooter scenario” after determining that the gunman barricaded himself inside a classroom, judging that there was “no risk to other children.” McCraw initially blamed school staff for propping open a door to the building with a rock, only to later “verify” that the door in question was closed.

This wasn’t just another mass shooting, as awful as that would be. It was another mass shooting and a breathtaking display of negligence by police, which has been subsequently compounded by law enforcement’s dissimulation. At present, a bipartisan framework—championed by the Senior U.S. Senator from Texas and billed as a national “post-Uvalde” reckoning—is in the works. The tentative deal includes stricter background checks, incentives for states to pass “red flag” laws, and funds for additional security measures for school and mental-health resources. But nothing in that framework would address the conditions that ensured this attack was so deadly. Indeed, how could it?

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2022, 11:13 am

Uvalde officer missed chance to fire at Robb Elementary gunman before he entered school, new report says

Quote:
Texas police officer spotted the Robb Elementary gunman as he strode toward the school building and was "sighted in to shoot the attacker" but didn't take the shot, a new report found.

A Texas State University report about the May 24 shooting at the elementary school in Uvalde that killed 19 children and two teachers spotlighted circumstances in which the gunman could have potentially been stopped before he entered the building.

In one case, according to the report, a police officer spotted the gunman, Salvador Ramos, carrying a rifle toward the school after Ramos crashed his truck near the scene that morning.

The officer, who was about 148 yards away, "sighted in to shoot the attacker" and asked a supervisor for permission to pull the trigger, the report said. He never got a response, so the officer turned to try to get confirmation from his supervisor.

“When he turned back to address the suspect, the suspect had already entered” the building, the report said.

Uvalde teacher says police ‘forgot’ about him and his students during school shooting
Quote:
Robb Elementary School teacher Arnie Reyes could hear the police officers outside his door. For an hour, as he lay dying, he listened to them do nothing.

“I was thinking, you know, come on, come in, come in. Like he’s in here. Just come in here, come save us,” he told CNN in a new interview out Wednesday night.

“And they weren’t. I didn’t find that out until after the fact when I saw other videos where they’re standing in the hallways and that even makes me more upset, just knowing you’re a few feet away from me and you’re not helping me. You’re not helping anybody.”

Reyes, who worked in a connected classroom to Eva Mireles and Irma Garcia, who were both killed, told his students to play dead as suspect Salvador Ramos, 18, rampaged through the rooms.

The gunman shot him twice: once in the arm and once in the back.

They forgot us. They saved everybody else except us,” he said. “I mean, they probably thought that we were all dead or something, but if they would have gone in before, some of ‘em probably would have made it.”

All 11 students in his classroom died, along with eight students next door and the two teachers.