Page 5 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 7:21 am

cyberdad wrote:
KitLily wrote:
That's the thing: I'm not full of irrelevant facts, I answer people's questions with what they want to know. One example:
When I was standing at the school gates waiting for our kids to finish school, one of the mums asked 'when's the school play this year?' I got out my phone because I always note down special events on the phone calendar. Another mum said 'let's ask The Oracle' and turned to me, they were all smirking. I told them the date of the school play. 'She always knows everything,' they said. Literally all I'd done was note down the date on my phone calendar, it was hardly a genius thing to do. Just common sense. :?

Believe it or not but my daughter does this. Whenever kids in her highschool class can't remember the date of something from the calendar or remember some general knowledge question then they all turn to my daughter. She is quite proud of her memory but unfortunately she has been bullied for this as well.

She means well but sometimes goes overboard providing more information than asked.

It was bizarre that time at the school gates. It is fkg obvious to write down dates on a calendar. That is literally what calendars are for. But the other mums were astounded by my intelligence :lol: Why was it such a big deal that someone wrote a date down on a calendar? Crazy. :roll:

Your daughter's memory will serve her well in the future. I saved someone's life once because I remembered a fact about them. Tell your daughter that.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 2:21 pm

cyberdad wrote:
This is a good starting point for reflection. As children friendship is organic because our brains haven't been contaminated by class, parental bias, self-interest and other socially constructed barriers that help cocoon us from the bulk of humanity.

Hmmm, I don't quite agree with this. I feel that you are idealizing childhood. Kids can be very cruel to other kids who are perceived as weird.

cyberdad wrote:
As we get older it becomes harder to break somebody else's barrier, As we get older we insulate ourselves with more and more layers. At my age now it's inconceivable that I will make new friends.

Not inconceivable, but may require some outside-the-box thinking.

I'm older than you, and autistic, but hopefully in process of (slowly) making some new friends via the cluster of groups I am building. It remains to be seen how well this turns out.

cyberdad wrote:
A work colleague (a new staff) volunteered to bring in cooked food she made at home. She shared it with us. I was so shocked somebody bought me cooked food for no reason other than to share that I remarked why is she doing this? she burst into tears as she was emotionally fragile over how her co-workers would perceive her attempt at being nice. I felt like a right dufus/uncaring for blurting that out. Another female colleague told me that's why she doesn't bring food to work because she knows nobody else would appreciate the act or reciprocate.

Coming out wanting to be friends is making yourself vulnerable. There is a high chance the act of offering your palm in friendship is going to be rejected or (more likely) ignored. The worst is where there is a culture of coldness and distance in a workplace where those in charge maintain hierarchical distance. And oh the irony when I hear them talk about the "mental health crisis" when they are the ones perpetuating the loneliness their subordinates feel.

Workplace friendships can be potentially hazardous to one's career if they go sour. That may be why many workplaces have a "culture of coldness and distance."

I think it's probably better to seek friendships via hobbies or other recreational activities outside of work, if possible.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 8:41 pm

KitLily wrote:
Your daughter's memory will serve her well in the future. I saved someone's life once because I remembered a fact about them. Tell your daughter that.

I guess like a lot of people on the spectrum it's untapped potential

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2022, 8:48 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Hmmm, I don't quite agree with this. I feel that you are idealizing childhood. Kids can be very cruel to other kids who are perceived as weird.

I agree this happens but the response has to be reinforced through social learning first. So babies are born with innate sense of familiarity with faces/people in their immediate family. When a face that is unfamiliar to them appears they might respond with curiosity (like to a new teddy) or if there is some sense of danger which is naturally instinctive.

So when as toddlers they first see somebody different (black, wheelchair, disabled etc) they sometimes seek parental guidance on what to do if they are confused. A lot of parents start the ball by reacting negatively (for example asking their child to come to them or ask their kid to play on another swing or just simply the tone of voice). It might even be subconscious and not malicious at all because that parent doesn't want to deal with the embarrassment to the other family or kid in case their kid says something and they have to intervene, Sometimes its their too tired or lazy, But often it's deliberate. I've witnessed it in playgrounds myself. "Karen" type parents who are selective with whom their little darlings play with. Use subtle cues which the children learn to keep away from people who are different.

By the time the kid enters primary school they have a sense they can be cruel and uncaring toward "difference" because it was taught to them.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 1:42 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:

I agree this happens but the response has to be reinforced through social learning first.

Sometimes, but not necessarily.

cyberdad wrote:
So babies are born with innate sense of familiarity with faces/people in their immediate family. When a face that is unfamiliar to them appears they might respond with curiosity (like to a new teddy) or if there is some sense of danger which is naturally instinctive.

So when as toddlers they first see somebody different (black, wheelchair, disabled etc) they sometimes seek parental guidance on what to do if they are confused.

Or they may just react, without consulting anyone first.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2022, 5:23 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Or they may just react, without consulting anyone first.

My understanding is that fear of unknown people leads to one of two things young children. Anxiety/fear which at extreme might be crying/running back to their parents. or curiosity.

The parent is the first person the child learns their eventual response. Depending on how the parent responds will influence the child's response. Second is peer influence. There is some element of William Golding's "Lord of the Flies" where the child first learns group influence. Third is personality traits.

Cruelty/psychopathy is a diathesis so it has to first be triggered by the environment. Not enough is understood on how much the environment triggers psychopaths or if natural curiosity turns into cruelty? Are you a psychologist? There isn't really firm data on how frequent psychopathy occurs in the population because its difficult to separate from sociopathy.

Sociopathy is influenced by the environment but again at what age it starts? There are a number of interesting studies that suggest certain types of people are influenced by certain types of politics
https://www.psypost.org/2018/11/study-s ... rats-52566