Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2022, 2:06 pm

Fed up with having no work to do at work. I love my job cleaning coaches but when there aren't any coaches there to clean during my shift I get so bored and restless. I'm not the sort of person to think "oh wonderful, I get to sit and do nothing and be paid!" No, I'd much prefer to be actively doing something and getting paid than sitting around with nothing to do and getting paid. I enjoy my job so I want to be doing my job when I'm at work.
It gets lonely as well when I have nothing to do, which is why I visit WP. But when there's not much activity going on here in the subforums that interest me, I get frustrated and bored.

I don't get bored really, not at home anyway. I only get bored when I'm somewhere where I have nothing to do but can't escape. I can't exactly nap at work to escape because I heard you can get suspended or even fired for sleeping at work, even if you're bored out of your mind with nothing to do.

Sometimes I find myself little jobs to do but usually they only take like 5 minutes. I like to get engrossed in cleaning in the coaches, which is what my job role is. I'm not an engineer and I have no idea about engineering so I can't really help them without getting in the way. I sometimes go around outside and pick up litter but that is somebody else's job and I don't like to take someone else's job (the someone else also cleans the offices). I panic now because I find it really hard to get through the day when I don't have any coaches to clean.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2022, 2:19 pm

Did you talk about it with your boss?

-not trying to fix or give you advice, I just want to know.

I had an office job with the same problem,it drove me insane.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2022, 6:12 pm

I remember this. May make you smile.

https://youtu.be/WVzAJbEkyyU

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 4:47 am

I have said to the boss about it but nobody seems to know what's going on.

Having nothing to do is actually causing me anxiety and makes me feel like staying home until I have work to do, but apparently you can't do that.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 6:41 am

Having “no work” could be a pain in the tushey for me, too.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 6:44 am

'tis a shame.

What I did was try to do other things like play games on the computers or read newspapers ....(no smartphones when i worked in an office) I did get in trouble when i did it when there actually was work to do ;)

The policy was annoying because it wasnt explicitly stated. We had to just 'misbehave' on purpose to figure out our boundaries.

There was another really old-school boss who visited the room 3 times a day. He would say or indicate he was disapproving of newspapers being read, but didnt actually get anyone in trouble. When promotions were available it would probably be the person with the best reputation for being focussed, or the most adept at befriending the boss. So reading would probably mess up in the long run.

If you're able to visit WP could you also visit netflix.com?

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 7:25 am

There was no work all week a few days ago. I found a few places to hide and started cutting up and old manky machine nobody liked.

I spent the rest of the time doing little trips to sites and trying to do doughnuts and wheel spins in the van.

A few years ago I had months with nothing to do and it was terrible. Only so long sit on the toilet before people get suspicious.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 10:51 am

Quote:
If you're able to visit WP could you also visit netflix.com?

I visit WP on my phone.

I hate Netflix but even if I had it I don't think I would want to watch a movie while I'm not doing anything. I'd rather do something that involves interacting with other human beings, as it gets quite lonely when there's nothing to do.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 12:22 pm

Ohh K that makes sense.

That's pretty bad. Shame they can't have idle Hands social club at work then.

In my office job I would do that thing of purposely not looking at the clock , I remember the women used to have long phone conversations with their friends to pass the time at one place.
I did that at another place and got in trouble ?!

SpaceMartian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jun 2022, 9:32 pm

Without knowing what is and what isn't allowed at your workplace it's difficult to say. I know I would just pace and daydream about whatever thing I have stuck in my mind now. Other than that if you can visit this page, I guess you can look for other pages with content that interest you, but carefull not falling into a YouTube blackhole. If staring at a screen is not your thing, then buying some binoculars and spy on the neigbours (if you have buildings visible from were you are) or something like that. Maybe get some DIY kit of something, bring it with you and do it in that time or do an online course at udemy, edx, udacity, coursera or a platform like that. You could even get a titutaltion in something if you ever liked or needed changing jobs (I know you like what you do, but life happens and nobody can guarantee we are going to be where we are forever).

I'm afraid I can't help much more here.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 12:38 pm

"Only so long sit on the toilet before people get suspicious."

Last year, at the store I work at, another Lot Attendant, Adam S, used to frequently disappear for hours in different locations, such as the litterbox

The men's litterbox contains only three litterboxes. And sometimes I had to load merchandise and Adam was busy sleeping or on the litterbox

But I did not tattle on him because I was afraid that maybe he was having sex with the boss and if I tattled on him, the boss would make my worthless corpse redundant

Other lot Attendants frequently sit around on the phone or flap their traps.

Sometimes I have to do their work for them but I am afraid that if I tattle on them they will take out revenge on me by running over my worthless corpse with a car or shooting me with a gun or getting me fired

You do not know who has:

Guns
Felony conviction
Psychiatric diagnoses
Expensive lawyers
Sex with the boss

Otherwise I am afraid that if I tattle on other lot Attendants for being on the phone instead of working, they could wait for me at the bus stop and vandalize my car corpse

Outnumbered outsmarted overpowered

Everyone has subconscious biases

Nobody is perfect

"At will" employer

The (worst case scenario) is (subject to imagination)

If my worthless corpse gets made redundant, nobody will ever hire my worthless friend again and then I will be homeless

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 8:50 am

It seems to be more frequent lately - no spare coaches. I'm worried this may head for a redundancy and I can't afford to lose my job, plus I love my job. I can't cope working in supermarkets because of tantruming toddlers, and I can't work in an office because I find it hard sitting still in front of a screen. I do not want to work in hospitals or care homes because I have a fear of viruses that often circulate in those places. I don't want to go on unemployment benefits because of the pressure they put on you to take the first job that comes along, whether suitable or not, and then when you take it and have frequent panic attacks because it's not suited to your ADHD/ASD you're just told "why are you working here then?"

But there just seems to be no work for me lately. All the coaches are needed, and we should have spares but we don't. Having spares means one or two coaches can stay in the depot each day to be cleaned thoroughly, which is my job. It's a wonderful job for an Aspie/ADHD; no pressure, no customers, no screaming babies, no noroviruses or coronaviruses (if co-workers get covid it's easy to keep my distance and avoid it). But it can be exasperating if there's no coaches for me and I'm just wandering around looking for something to do, or just sitting there feeling really restless.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 9:05 am

Don't you have more seniority than some of the other workers?

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 10:44 am

Joe90 wrote:
It seems to be more frequent lately - no spare coaches. I'm worried this may head for a redundancy and I can't afford to lose my job, plus I love my job. I can't cope working in supermarkets because of tantruming toddlers, and I can't work in an office because I find it hard sitting still in front of a screen. I do not want to work in hospitals or care homes because I have a fear of viruses that often circulate in those places. I don't want to go on unemployment benefits because of the pressure they put on you to take the first job that comes along, whether suitable or not, and then when you take it and have frequent panic attacks because it's not suited to your ADHD/ASD you're just told "why are you working here then?"

But there just seems to be no work for me lately. All the coaches are needed, and we should have spares but we don't. Having spares means one or two coaches can stay in the depot each day to be cleaned thoroughly, which is my job. It's a wonderful job for an Aspie/ADHD; no pressure, no customers, no screaming babies, no noroviruses or coronaviruses (if co-workers get covid it's easy to keep my distance and avoid it). But it can be exasperating if there's no coaches for me and I'm just wandering around looking for something to do, or just sitting there feeling really restless.

Telecommuting job

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 3:17 pm

I'm not going to work from home, it's out of the question. My apartment has too many distractions and noise 24/7 from the upstairs neighbours. I like to get out and work with people. Why do Aspies advise me to work from home all the time? It's not the right solution to my problem.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 4:43 pm

I had a work from home job doing my special interest (coding) and it was bliss. But you're more social so the people advising you are going off what they would enjoy :lol:

I'm doing admin in an office at the moment, Theres always something to do and people to talk to.