Page 11 of 13 [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 56,888
Location: Stendec

20 Jun 2022, 5:41 pm

QFT wrote:
. . . So you are a Christian, which means you do believe the Bible is true. But you are trying to pretend that you don't believe it, just to demonstrate my lack of knowledge? Is this what you are saying?
I never said I do not believe the Bible.  I said it was not written as an historical or scientific textbook.



QFT
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 27 Jun 2019
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,362

20 Jun 2022, 5:42 pm

Fnord wrote:
QFT wrote:
. . . So you are a Christian, which means you do believe the Bible is true. But you are trying to pretend that you don't believe it, just to demonstrate my lack of knowledge? Is this what you are saying?
I never said I do not believe the Bible.  I said it was not written as an historical or scientific textbook.


But original discussion on this thread wasn't scientific. So what was the point you were trying to make?



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 56,888
Location: Stendec

20 Jun 2022, 5:43 pm

QFT wrote:
Fnord wrote:
QFT wrote:
. . . So you are a Christian, which means you do believe the Bible is true. But you are trying to pretend that you don't believe it, just to demonstrate my lack of knowledge? Is this what you are saying?
I never said I do not believe the Bible.  I said it was not written as an historical or scientific textbook.
But original discussion on this thread wasn't scientific. So what was the point you were trying to make?
I already stated that.



QFT
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 27 Jun 2019
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,362

20 Jun 2022, 5:52 pm

Fnord wrote:
QFT wrote:
Fnord wrote:
QFT wrote:
. . . So you are a Christian, which means you do believe the Bible is true. But you are trying to pretend that you don't believe it, just to demonstrate my lack of knowledge? Is this what you are saying?
I never said I do not believe the Bible.  I said it was not written as an historical or scientific textbook.
But original discussion on this thread wasn't scientific. So what was the point you were trying to make?
I already stated that.


What you said is that it was irrelevant to the actual topic of the thread and instead it was about me and how much I, personally, read the Bible?



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 56,888
Location: Stendec

20 Jun 2022, 5:56 pm

QFT wrote:
Fnord wrote:
QFT wrote:
Fnord wrote:
QFT wrote:
. . . So you are a Christian, which means you do believe the Bible is true. But you are trying to pretend that you don't believe it, just to demonstrate my lack of knowledge? Is this what you are saying?
I never said I do not believe the Bible.  I said it was not written as an historical or scientific textbook.
But original discussion on this thread wasn't scientific. So what was the point you were trying to make?
I already stated that.
What you said is that it was irrelevant to the actual topic of the thread and instead it was about me and how much I, personally, read the Bible?
It also establishes the level of your alleged Biblical "expertise", which seems to be on roughly the same level as your alleged scientific "expertise".



QFT
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 27 Jun 2019
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,362

20 Jun 2022, 6:01 pm

Fnord wrote:
It also establishes the level of your alleged Biblical "expertise", which seems to be on roughly the same level as your alleged scientific "expertise".


As far as Bible, I read New testament many times but not the Old one. I do plan to read Old one though, I just need to manage my time better and stop postponing it.

As far as scientific expertise, my Ph.D. is in Theoretical Physics, and not in experimental/applied one. When I took first two years of undergraduate physics they had laboratory sessions in that class, but they were limitted to things we were learning (Newtonian mechanics, Electromagnetism and Optics). Then there was a third year lab class that I had to take which was focused on circuits.

Other than that, I didn't have any connection to any laboratories. As a graduate student all my work was purely on paper. And as undergrad it was mostly on paper too, except for those few laboratories I just mentioned.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 56,888
Location: Stendec

20 Jun 2022, 6:03 pm

QFT wrote:
. . . my Ph.D. is in Theoretical Physics, and not in experimental/applied one. . .
You do realize, of course, that both rely on the same scientific principles and produce the same answers, right?



QFT
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 27 Jun 2019
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,362

20 Jun 2022, 6:06 pm

Fnord wrote:
QFT wrote:
. . . my Ph.D. is in Theoretical Physics, and not in experimental/applied one. . .
You do realize, of course, that both rely on the same scientific principles and produce the same answers, right?


The area of my expertise is quantum field theory. This means few particles and high energies. On the other hand microchips involve many particles and lower energies.

What I am specializing in is quantum field theory and gravity.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 56,888
Location: Stendec

20 Jun 2022, 6:09 pm

QFT wrote:
The area of my expertise is quantum field theory. This means few particles and high energies. On the other hand microchips involve many particles and lower energies. What I am specializing in is quantum field theory and gravity.
Then why waste your time and effort arguing religious matters when you could be developing controlled gravimetric containment for sustained nuclear fusion reactions?



QFT
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 27 Jun 2019
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,362

20 Jun 2022, 6:12 pm

Fnord wrote:
QFT wrote:
The area of my expertise is quantum field theory. This means few particles and high energies. On the other hand microchips involve many particles and lower energies. What I am specializing in is quantum field theory and gravity.
Then why waste your time and effort arguing religious matters when you could be developing controlled gravimetric containment for sustained nuclear fusion reactions?


Again, I am a theoretical, not applied. What I am developing are various theories. In particular, I am focusing on discrete structure of spacetime. This has no technological implications because one can't actually experimentally detect it. It is just one theory among others. Some physicists believe there are strings and continuous spacetime, others believe spacetime is discrete, and then there are disagreements on what specific discrete structures to propose. So I have various proposals of my own that I am trying to publish.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 56,888
Location: Stendec

20 Jun 2022, 6:32 pm

QFT wrote:
Fnord wrote:
QFT wrote:
The area of my expertise is quantum field theory. This means few particles and high energies. On the other hand microchips involve many particles and lower energies. What I am specializing in is quantum field theory and gravity.
Then why waste your time and effort arguing religious matters when you could be developing controlled gravimetric containment for sustained nuclear fusion reactions?
Again, I am a theoretical, not applied. What I am developing are various theories. In particular, I am focusing on discrete structure of spacetime. This has no technological implications because one can't actually experimentally detect it. It is just one theory among others. Some physicists believe there are strings and continuous spacetime, others believe spacetime is discrete, and then there are disagreements on what specific discrete structures to propose. So I have various proposals of my own that I am trying to publish.
Do you generate predictive or practical solutions to the structure of spacetime?

Can you provide a method by which spacetime may be altered without requiring exotic matter or negative energy?

Have you seen this video?
 Flight Through a Wormhole 

It is found on  This Website 



QFT
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 27 Jun 2019
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,362

20 Jun 2022, 6:37 pm

Okay, one example of what I am working on is causal set theory, see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causal_sets

Fnord wrote:
Do you generate predictive or practical solutions to the structure of spacetime?


No, because I don't know for sure that the structure is the one I propose. It is just a theory.

Fnord wrote:
Can you provide a method by which spacetime may be altered without requiring exotic matter or negative energy?


I am not trying to alter it. I am only trying to theorize on how it already is.

Fnord wrote:
Have you seen this video?[/color]  Flight Through a Wormhole 

It is found on  This Website 


No, but I will watch them when I have time.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 56,888
Location: Stendec

20 Jun 2022, 6:55 pm

Okay, QFT, I will give you credit for knowing something about Theoretical Physics, but only because when I worked with some TPs in Batavia back in the 1980s, they too seemed to express themselves as people who knew it all, and to whom no one else could explain anything.  Yet, not one of them could even fix a toaster.

That is not a slam; it is an acknowledgement (however awkward and prickly it may seem).

If I may make a small request: Please state your opinions as opinions and not as empirical facts?  This might go a long way toward keeping discussions cool, and avoid either of us receiving "Board Warnings".

The simulation videos are interesting to me because they imply that the inner cube of a tesseract exists as an outer cube of the same tesseract, but in a different time and/or space.



The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Sep 2011
Age: 52
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 1,121
Location: Vancouver Canada

20 Jun 2022, 7:12 pm

cyberdad wrote:

The execution and resurrection of jesus is the story of the Egyptian Osiris getting killed by Seth and then resurrected.


More like a blend of Horus and Osiris, mostly Horus, but without the salad dressing..



The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Sep 2011
Age: 52
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 1,121
Location: Vancouver Canada

20 Jun 2022, 7:17 pm

cyberdad wrote:
QFT wrote:
“Take what you have and give it to the poor”
A request to follow Jesus without even waving farewell to a family (Luke 9:57-62)
)


Looks like many don't heed the scripture
https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainmen ... mind.html/


It gets worse, most of those guys robbed their own churches tithes!

the very short book they get the idea to tithe from even warns of this.

Quote:
Mal 3:8

Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.


They even use this passage to guilt trip thier flock to tithe more, even though if you read it in context it is adressed to priests!



Last edited by The_Znof on 20 Jun 2022, 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 May 2016
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,491
Location: Virginia

20 Jun 2022, 7:19 pm

Jesus Morales, Angelo Garcia's roommate?


_________________
I've reached the end.