Page 12 of 13 [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 7:37 pm

QFT wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
I think that if God were real he’d have better communication skills than to create cryptic prophecies that could easily be misunderstood.

Now, if you ask me did I personally experience God after lessening sins, the answer is no. But my moms friend, who is ethnically Jewish but became a Christian (she is Russian Orthodox) told me that she was healed by God. I had a phone conversation with her half a year ago so I don’t exactly remember what she said. I believe it was something along the lines of not being able to walk and God telling her to arise and her arising and walking. But I really don’t remember. I am not sure if she is still alive, she had last stage of cancer. I would have to find a way to get her phone number from my mom and ask again.

The other evidence that I do know of is the Russian Orthodox icons producing tears.

Wow! That’s a whole lot of anecdotal evidence which means exactly nothing.

I don’t believe in the Bible and would struggle worshipping a God who punishes people for the supposed sin of their ancestors, but we’re all different.

I’m surprised that you put so much weight on the Bible when you haven’t read all of it yet. I read it a couple of times and liked it less the more I reread it, especially various parts of the OT and stuff written by Paul. I prefer reading books that I find beneficial like Lord of the Rings.

The best book of the Bible, by far, is the Song of Solomon. Erotic poetry is always nice.

Both the Bible and the Lord of the Rings are lacking in strong female characters. Some of Jesus’ 12 homies should be women. There should also be women in the fellowship of the ring. Oh well. Both collections of books were a product of their times.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 2:10 am

Fnord wrote:
The writers of the Bible did not even give the correct value of Pi, so why should any educated person have any reason to believe the rest?

I think the Quran wins for the most scientific errors made by god in any religious book.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 2:13 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
Both the Bible and the Lord of the Rings are lacking in strong female characters. Some of Jesus’ 12 homies should be women. There should also be women in the fellowship of the ring. Oh well. Both collections of books were a product of their times.

Sarah, Rebecca, Rachel, Mary and Leah would disagree with you. If anything the women in the bible are often more impressive than their men-folk,

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 8:08 am

cyberdad wrote:
Fnord wrote:
The writers of the Bible did not even give the correct value of Pi, so why should any educated person have any reason to believe the rest?
I think the Quran wins for the most scientific errors made by god in any religious book.
God wrote neither book.  All religious books were written by humans (despite what Joseph Smith may have said).

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 8:10 am

Fnord wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Fnord wrote:
God wrote neither book.  All religious books were written by humans (despite what Joseph Smith may have said).

Yeah. In this way, the error will come from humans who do not understand enough, and it will never be God himself.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

Last edited by SkinnedWolf on 21 Jun 2022, 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 8:24 am

For whatever reason He died on the Cross, it's a pity that the historical Jesus had to go through that ordeal.

Jesus was a threat to the established order because He was gathering a following which went against the grain of their hierarchy.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 9:14 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
For whatever reason He died on the Cross, it's a pity that the historical Jesus had to go through that ordeal.

Jesus was a threat to the established order because He was gathering a following which went against the grain of their hierarchy.

It’s a pity ANYONE would have to go through that but many people have had awful deaths.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 9:17 am

Absolutely. No doubt!

I would say the same thing for the many obscure people who have undergone torture, say.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 9:19 am

cyberdad wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

Sarah, Rebecca, Rachel, Mary and Leah would disagree with you. If anything the women in the bible are often more impressive than their men-folk,

There are way fewer powerful women in the Bible. Jesus and his apostles were male. God is depicted as male. There are many misogynistic passages in the Bible.

If you read the actual Bible account, there’s nothing remarkable about Mary. She’s just an exceptionally good woman. She was just a good vehicle to bring forth the star of the show - Jesus.

There’s very little focus on her at all.

The importance of women in the Bible pretty much comes down to their biological ability to have children and for being good wives.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 21 Jun 2022, 11:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 9:21 am

Mary Magdalene, at least, has undergone a transformation in recent times. She has gone from prostitute to Jesus' "right hand person" over the course of a few decades. I'm wondering if she was an Apostle, too.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 9:25 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Mary Magdalene, at least, has undergone a transformation in recent times. She has gone from prostitute to Jesus' "right hand person" over the course of a few decades. I'm wondering if she was an Apostle, too.

I think it’s a bit of a stretch, honestly. She takes up very little space in the Bible, as opposed to the typical 12.

People try to soften the Bible a bit and make it more palatable, which is fine, but it’s not really what the Bible is about.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 9:40 am

It’s absolutely true that it was very difficult for women all through Biblical times in most areas.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 9:44 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It’s absolutely true that it was very difficult for women all through Biblical times in most areas.

Works like the Bible continue to make things difficult for women. It’s not the only problematic “holy” book, though.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 1:02 pm

It's possible that Paul was wrong about Women speaking church.

He was 'autistically' a follower of the law when he was a follower of Judaism, and enforced it upon others.
He then became an imperfect Christian.

He said quite rightly that Christians should not get circumcised as the the Jews do , because that is trying to justify yourself before God using the law of moses.

Then he goes on to say:

Quote:
33b As in all the churches of the saints, 34 the women should keep silent in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be in submission, as the Law also says. 35 And if they desire to learn anything, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is improper for a woman to speak in church.

Christians can be deceived by Satan into trying to follow the law of moses as I think he was above.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 1:05 pm

klanka wrote:
It's possible that Paul was wrong about Women speaking church.

He was 'autistically' a follower of the law when he was a follower of Judaism, and enforced it upon others.
He then became an imperfect Christian.

He said quite rightly that Christians should not get circumcised as the the Jews do , because that is trying to justify yourself before God using the law of moses.

Then he goes on to say:

Quote:
33b As in all the churches of the saints, 34 the women should keep silent in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be in submission, as the Law also says. 35 And if they desire to learn anything, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is improper for a woman to speak in church.

Christians can be deceived by Satan into trying to follow the law of moses as I think he was above.

Deceived by Satan into trying to follow the law of Moses?

Perhaps the entire Bible is a deception of Satan.

Also, why would this make Paul autistic?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 2:58 pm

SkinnedWolf wrote:
Fnord wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Yeah. In this way, the error will come from humans who do not understand enough, and it will never be God himself.

God is crafty when it comes to avoiding personal responsibility. :lol:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う