Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2022, 6:13 am

Apologies, I know I've been posting in this section quite a lot.

I had a rather strange interview recently. Small company. Amusingly, the IT department was located in a cupboard under the stairs. There were a couple of concerning signs, such as the interviewer complaining at length about the former employee who was previously in the position. He also told me that a lot of people quit fairly quickly, which isn't exactly selling the job. However, it is understandable. It's a small department and a lot of orders. There were apparently a significant amount of people showing up to interviews without knowing about the role, which seems baffling.

He told me that he urgently needs someone since the sole designer needs a break and his assistant quit without much warning. Then at the end of the interview he added that I should think it over and that if I'm still interested then I should get in contact and start on a four-week probation period. I have the weekend to think about it.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2022, 7:22 am

Hopefully the number of people quitting doesnt mean the boss is crazy/abusive but, unfortunately that could be the reason.

SpaceMartian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jun 2022, 9:12 am

Lost_dragon wrote:
Apologies, I know I've been posting in this section quite a lot.

I had a rather strange interview recently. Small company. Amusingly, the IT department was located in a cupboard under the stairs. There were a couple of concerning signs, such as the interviewer complaining at length about the former employee who was previously in the position. He also told me that a lot of people quit fairly quickly, which isn't exactly selling the job. However, it is understandable. It's a small department and a lot of orders. There were apparently a significant amount of people showing up to interviews without knowing about the role, which seems baffling.

He told me that he urgently needs someone since the sole designer needs a break and his assistant quit without much warning. Then at the end of the interview he added that I should think it over and that if I'm still interested then I should get in contact and start on a four-week probation period. I have the weekend to think about it.

I don't like it one bit. If lots of people who didn't know the role were showing up it means that the company themselves don't really know what they need, so the job offer isn't specific. People leaving the company must be analyzed. If the role is complicated, has lots of responsability etc etc, then yeah, many won't hold up OR it just doesn't pay enough for the work done. If the role isn't complicated, then probably bad work environment, low salary, too much work, unpaid extra hours... It seems to me they want a do it all person, to pay minimum wage and exploit to the infinity and beyond or they just don't know how to run the company and its all a mess. I don't know were you live what protection laws to the workers exist, I don't know if that probation period is remunerated, and if it isn't, if they are taking people, on probation and turning them down so they have a free worker.

Then again, as you have mentioned before, the job market is not... great. It could give you some experience, maybe try and if you don't like it or it really crappy, quit without a second thaught. If I had other options, quite sure I'd take them, even working selling computers on a mall seems a better deal, but without knowing the laws you play with, real opportunities, the exact role they want you to do...

I'd say, be prepared for disappointment, trying may be a good move, but if it doesn't work out, is IMPERATIVE that you put yourself first, don't get burned out, don't look after the company and look for your interests. If smells rotten, quit ASAP, don't allow questions, don't listen anyone beg, just leave. Don't get trapped, many others left, be prepared to do so and don't get blinded for the lack of opportunities, staying may diminish them even further.

Hope it all works out for you.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2022, 3:52 pm

SpaceMartian wrote:
If the role isn't complicated, then probably bad work environment, low salary, too much work, unpaid extra hours... It seems to me they want a do it all person, to pay minimum wage and exploit to the infinity and beyond or they just don't know how to run the company and its all a mess. I don't know were you live what protection laws to the workers exist, I don't know if that probation period is remunerated, and if it isn't, if they are taking people, on probation and turning them down so they have a free worker.

Then again, as you have mentioned before, the job market is not... great. It could give you some experience, maybe try and if you don't like it or it really crappy, quit without a second thought. If I had other options, quite sure I'd take them, even working selling computers on a mall seems a better deal, but without knowing the laws you play with, real opportunities, the exact role they want you to do...

I'd say, be prepared for disappointment, trying may be a good move, but if it doesn't work out, is IMPERATIVE that you put yourself first, don't get burned out, don't look after the company and look for your interests. If it smells rotten, quit ASAP, don't allow questions, don't listen anyone beg, just leave. Don't get trapped, many others left, be prepared to do so and don't get blinded for the lack of opportunities, staying may diminish them even further.

Hope it all works out for you.

The salary is higher than the minimum, it's actually not a bad starting wage. It's more than my older sister earns and she's in a very similar industry, so I don't think she's going to take that information well. Personally I gained the impression that it is indeed a case of a company in chaos.

I've been doing some reading up on UK employment laws. We do have unpaid internships here (I would know - I am one at another company but I intend to quit soon), however we classify such arrangements as volunteering. It's illegal to take on an employee for a probation period without pay. Once a verbal or written contract involving a probation period is agreed upon, an employee has grounds to sue. However, a written contract is best as it makes it trickier for the employer to potentially wriggle out. You can request a written contact, and if you are dismissed for doing so, then you can claim unfair immediate dismissal. Certainly it would be incredibly unwise for an employer to attempt such a stunt.

The job is not an easy one. It's repetitive and high pressure. You have to deal with customers who aren't always the nicest. Working in a cupboard probably puts people off. It's also in an industrial setting. The building isn't pretty but it's practical. It's also a boys' club. Personally I've had experience with dealing with rude clients and it's certainly not for everyone. I don't have high hopes, but I think that it could be beneficial. Whilst I don't intend to stay there, it could be a step in the right direction.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2022, 5:13 pm

If you’re going to take the position—good luck!

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 5:13 am

Well, I have some bad news. The potential employer recently updated me that the hours for Fridays are different from Mondays to Thursdays. I can do the eight till five, but Fridays are seven till four. That's just not feasible. I am reliant on public transport and there aren't any buses before seven. Well, there's one bus but it travels in the wrong direction, so that's no help. It wouldn't be fair on my parents to drive me there at that time either. Further, once you account for the amount of hours, it works out at minimum wage. The wage doesn't seem too bad at first glance, but when you work it out it isn't worth it.

No wonder they're struggling to find someone. Oh, and to add insult to injury, when I asked for clarification about the hours I was also informed that they're still interviewing people despite my job offer. They're clearly working on the assumption that I'm going to say no and trying to find someone desperate enough to say yes without further questions. Definitely a shady company. I'd hoped I could ignore the red flags, but even putting them aside, it's just not possible. Somehow I doubt he'd be willing to move the hours. Good luck trying to find someone willing to come in at seven. You'd need to live practically next door.

Ugh. Why are businesses like this?

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 10:29 am

Update: The bad news became good news. My potential employer has agreed to change my work hours. So long as no one has accepted the job first, then it's mine. I know the situation is far from ideal. That there are enough red flags to sew a blanket. However, you have to do what you have to do. Avoiding burnout is going to be the tricky part. Still, earning will give me the ability to afford driving lessons, which is the main thing here. Earn, learn, build up the CV, then leave once I have a way out and a job lined up. Granted, that's easier said than done, but it's worth a shot.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 11:13 am

Hope you can do it

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 12:00 pm

Quote:
There were apparently a significant amount of people showing up to interviews without knowing about the role, which seems baffling.

Actually, I've heard that at least some people apply for a large amount of positions all at once, without necessarily taking many of them seriously, hoping they'll get a larger number of offers--or at least one--any one at all. I think it's akin to mass mailing/advertising. Personally, I can't imagine showing up for an interview unversed in the position unless it's due to the company's lack of communication...even then, I'd be very unlikely to take an actual interview--I'd just ask over the phone before even applying.

I hope all goes well for you.

SpaceMartian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jun 2022, 9:01 pm

Good luck on your quest but please, do not ignore any signs of burnout, and do not put your employer in front of your own needs and sanity. If things aren't working out, ask for the appropiate changes, if it can't be fixed, leave, you come first, then the job, company, whatever. If it was some HUGE opportunity worth suffering... but this isn't it. And do not stop looking for something better, many people settle with what they have for fear of losing it all only to... losing it all anyway later on.

Stay safe, glad you found something, it is a start, yet I am not a ease with this one. Whatch out for yourself and everything should be fine, but please, remember that the only one who cares about you at work is... you and only you.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 9:26 pm

SpaceMartian wrote:
Good luck on your quest but please, do not ignore any signs of burnout, and do not put your employer in front of your own needs and sanity. If things aren't working out, ask for the appropiate changes, if it can't be fixed, leave, you come first, then the job, company, whatever. If it was some HUGE opportunity worth suffering... but this isn't it. And do not stop looking for something better, many people settle with what they have for fear of losing it all only to... losing it all anyway later on.

Stay safe, glad you found something, it is a start, yet I am not a ease with this one. Whatch out for yourself and everything should be fine, but please, remember that the only one who cares about you at work is... you and only you.

This is a great answer.

Congratulations and best wishes, Lost_dragon!

Take it one day at a time!

Shoalinagent
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jun 2022, 9:51 pm

Take it, and learn everything you can from them. Once there is nothing left to learn or you find your responsibilities piling up to unbearable levels, move on to somewhere else with your newfound skills.

Obviously, if you are appreciated, valued, and not over-burdened. Stay.

Employers, and small business owners especially, can be very entitled when it comes to what they expect from their employees. I've been in this position before and it doesn't end well for anybody. Wherever you see high staff turnover and them bending over backward to get you on board, you can pretty much guarantee the owner is an entitled slave driver who only sees his/her staff as a commodity. If you notice this, leave asap. There is nothing you can achieve by sticking around except eventually becoming bitter and resentful.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 6:58 am

Update

I accepted the offer with the new work hours a couple of days ago...only to be met with silence. Now I can only assume that he's blanking me because he found someone else. I understand that interaction isn't always instant, but it's been two days now.

Chances are I've dodged a bullet on this one. I'll refocus my efforts on growing my freelance business and applying to jobs. At the moment I'm still checking my emails, but I suspect that he no longer wants to know.

Definitely a jerk move to make a job offer but continue to interview others. I think that's the problem with some employers, they hold out for perfect and string people along in the process.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 11:51 am

Further Update!

He replied!

I have the job! 8O

This has been absolute chaos. I'm definitely jumping ship when I can, but for now I'll learn everything I can from this experience.

I - 8O

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 3:15 pm

Congrats

:arrow: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 6:51 pm

"a cupboard under the stairs"?