Mature student (Aspie+ADHD) with low academic confidence

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Midshipman
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jun 2022, 12:31 pm

Hi, I'm a newbie, mature Arts student (with previous Bachelor's and Master's degrees) undertaking a second undergraduate degree. My academic confidence has plummeted as I was recently unable to complete written assignments and withdrew from my course (following a late diagnosis of Asperger's, ADHD and dyslexia). I am due to restart in September (with two 'failed to complete' crosses on my record, though with distinctions and prizes for other parts of the course). My average degree grade is significantly lowered before I even start. Any ideas on how to raise my academic confidence? I am looking for a forum or information about obtaining a study buddy in Classics so that I can discuss some of my prescribed texts or chat. Perhaps someone can direct me?

timf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2022, 9:03 am

As an older student, you may be relate-able to recent alumni. If you can contact one in your field, they may be open to discussing their experiences at the school and offer some suggestions particular to that institution.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2022, 9:27 am

Hi, welcome to WrongPlanet! :jester:

I’m assuming by Classics and texts, you might mean Greek or Latin language and early literature, or perhaps something similar, right?

Yes, these two “failed to complete” marks are unfortunate. Please try to look at it as a badge of pride. Meaning, you have a choppy record with ups and downs, with academic distinctions and prizes as well. That’s more interesting than just successes across the board.

I like history (generally more modern) and have found online forums a very mixed bag. With people who quit all the time, and some pretty ill-informed, unserious people, as well as occasionally people who know their stuff and take an interest.

I like the concept of “measured honesty.” So, if someone asks about the previous classes, maybe just say “some personal turmoil” and leave it at that. And then they might reveal something personal.

Now, one interesting difficulty with two previous degrees, you’re probably about as good a writer as your professor. You can probably put together professional-level papers or close to that level. This would be over-blown and over-done for the purposes of the class.

Instead, maybe aim for that sweet spot between B+ and A- ? Maybe even talk with the professor and ask him or her, I’ve had some problems writing my previous class, Can I submit it early and can you tell me if I’m on the right track or not? [hopefully] Maybe even tell me if it’s at least B quality or not? [the professor may not agree to this second part]