Do you get a stress related flu like reaction?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2022, 2:57 am

I'm prone to experiencing a flu like reaction when acutely/intensely stressed. It's something I've mentioned more than a few times across multiple forums since first being online in 1996. Until this year I'd not come across anyone experiencing the same thing. This year there has been a person with schizophrenia/schizo-affective and several with ASD saying they experience this. The words that automatically spring to mind are 'autoimmune reaction'

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2022, 4:26 am

Yes, I have M.E. and in the M.E./CFS community this is known as PEM or Post Extertion Malaise. I've been to the Dr about sore throats and fatigue, had tests done and there is nothing "wrong" apparently.

Stress can use up a lot of energy and crash the body in layman's terms.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2022, 5:36 am

I cannot tell the difference between stress induced symptoms and "hypersensitivities" related to weather and whatever I might've ate regardless of my stress levels.

Flu like symptoms itself usually happens to me from hours long of constant violent sneezing (trigger unknown -- it happens whether I'm stressed or not), to a point every time I breathe feels very raw and had always already causes stress for me.
Or just breathe "wrong" (sensations similar to drinking at the wrong tube except with breathing something) and it'll happen. I'd just instantly feel and know it.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2022, 5:40 am

I had a viral infection over 30 years ago that resulted in my being under par for about 6 months.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2022, 8:29 am

No. I get the usual fight or flight stuff from sympathetic nervous system activation.

Sometimes hives.

Sparkles
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Jun 2022, 9:27 am

Yes, in fact I was DXd with CFS 30+ years ago. Not "recovered" yet. Unable to work.

Now that I have looked into autism, youtube, reading, taking tests, I am significantly autistic. I am thinking that CFS was/is the wrong DX.

I hope that getting a "real DX" could help me with services, therapy, etc.

In CFS community there are traits that are autistic anxiety, exhaustion with social interaction, hypersensitivity (light sounds smell etc.) unable to get or keep a job (without large defecits in other aspects of living) etc. CFS majority are females. Doesnt that sound especially for females, undiagnosed autistic? Very tiny I think 5 % as per the NIH fully recover. It becomes lifelong, but maybe it is lifelong born autistic that reached and stayed in breakdown mode, from keep trying keep trying keep trying...

I do get the flu like symptoms, glands swell/tender, malaise, sore muscles.

I hope this was of some use.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2022, 10:37 am

I'm on the r/aspergirls and the r/CFS subreddits and there is a lot of overlap of issues. Some threads are very similar.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2022, 10:40 am

Not really “flu-like.” More like a cold type combined with stomach trouble.