Julian Assange's extradition to US approved by UK government

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2022, 8:28 pm

CNN

Quote:
UK Home Secretary Priti Patel has signed an order to extradite WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange to the United States, where he faces espionage charges, in a decision his organization said marked a "dark day for press freedom."

A London court issued a formal extradition order back in April, leaving Patel to rubber-stamp his transfer to the US after a years-long legal battle.

The decision will likely see months more of legal wrangling: Jennifer Robinson, Assange's legal counsel, said Friday that an appeal would be brought, and that the case could ultimately be taken to the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg.

In a Friday statement, Wikileaks asserted that Assange "committed no crime and is not a criminal," adding that he is a "journalist and a publisher" who "is being punished for doing his job."

"This is a dark day for Press freedom and British democracy. Anyone who cares about freedom of expression should be deeply ashamed," Wikileaks added.

The Home Office stressed on Friday that the UK courts have not found that extradition of Assange would be incompatible with his human rights.

"The UK courts have not found that it would be oppressive, unjust or an abuse of process to extradite Mr Assange. Nor have they found that extradition would be incompatible with his human rights, including his right to a fair trial and to freedom of expression, and that whilst in the US he will be treated appropriately, including in relation to his health," it said in a statement announcing the order.

Assange has the right to appeal Friday's decision within 14 days, it added.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2022, 10:15 pm

That sucks. WikiLeaks was an important tool for revealing the nefarious activities of world powers.

Seeing how Assange himself is not an American citizen and his activities did not take place on US soil, I don't see how US law has any jurisdiction over him. He took content from whistleblowers, he did not procure it himself. Granted, they may ask to reveal the whistleblowers to prove he didn't hack or steal the content himself, and he might refuse to do so... Then again, that's not how the US legal system works. The burden of proof of his guilt lies on the accuser, and likewise they would have to prove the applicability of US law to him. I hope it won't be a secret court.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2022, 10:35 pm

r00tb33r wrote:

Seeing how Assange himself is not an American citizen and his activities did not take place on US soil, I don't see how US law has any jurisdiction over him. .

are they coming for snow-job too? I mean he was not only american but is allegedly a full blown traitor NSA employee?

Last edited by The_Znof on 18 Jun 2022, 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2022, 10:37 pm

The_Znof wrote:
are they coming for snow-job too? I mean he was not only american but allegedly worked for the NSA?

Snowden is out of reach and has conceded that he may never have a chance to return to US as a free person. So, no, they'd like to but can't.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2022, 10:14 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Julian Assange's extradition to US approved by UK government.
It’s about time!

Put the dirty spy on trial in a U.S. court.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2022, 11:56 am

Very sad the few people left practicing real journalism are so maligned.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2022, 1:17 pm

Well didnt this all start with a leaked vid of Reuters Journalists getting mowed down?

flamingshorts
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jun 2022, 6:59 pm

Will you all wake up. If you support Assange you have been conned. If you oppose Assange you have been conned.
An UNUSUAL Connection Between Assange & Illuminati (2016)
Assange is a psy-op. Limited hangout

Manning goes trans. Cabal/Agenda red flag.
Jemima Goldsmith (cabal) puts up bail money.
Main stream media exposure. Total red flag.
Counter narrative controlled opposition "freedom" politicians and pundits come out supporting Assange and "free speech".

I'd rather be called a conspiracy theorist than just accept Assange and Wikileaks as genuine.
Notice Assange doesn't expose the Freemason/Illuminati. Instead they are his social proof.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 10:04 pm

flamingshorts wrote:
I'd rather be called a conspiracy theorist than just accept Assange and Wikileaks as genuine.
I would rather call you a conspiracy theorist than let a YouTube video do my thinking for me.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 7:11 am

Fnord wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Julian Assange's extradition to US approved by UK government.
It’s about time!

Put the dirty spy on trial in a U.S. court.

He would have saved himself a lot of grief if he shown some restraint. Literally everything unfiltered to the detriment of hapless innocents.

arachnids
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jun 2022, 5:49 pm

He's diagnosed autistic isn't he?

I am not taking the damn Venlafaxine!

On Propranolol

I like cats, trees and spiders.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act' George Orwell

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2022, 8:39 pm

arachnids wrote:
He's diagnosed autistic isn't he?
The judge who granted Assange’s petition to avoid extradition to the U.S. was persuaded that Assange would be a suicide risk if incarcerated in the U.S., because: (1) loyalist barristers insisted that the American prison system would treat Assange harshly; and (2) he was shown questionable studies suggesting an increased incidence of suicide among autistics.

Diagnosing Assange with autism illustrates why the DSM-5 dropped Asperger Disorder. Autism seems a dubious diagnosis, given Assange's extreme cognitive and social competence. Even if it's a correct diagnosis, there are many people with autism serving lengthy sentences in both the U.S. and UK.