Research on accent and speech patterns within the spectrum

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Autism and Accents
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Jun 2022, 3:21 pm

The Linguistics Department at the University of Colorado Boulder is conducting a study on the adoption of different accents by autistic individuals. We are seeking participants who are autistic and speak an “unusual,” “non-local,” or “foreign” accent or dialect relative to where they grew up. Participants must also be native English speakers and over the age of 18.

The study will consist of a 30-60 minute interview conducted either in person or via Zoom, which will be audio and video recorded. Participants will receive a $100 gift card for your participation in the project on completion of the interview.

If you’re interested or have any questions about the study, please email [email protected]

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 9:22 am

So is this like how American kids are developing British accents from cartoons? Not just autistic kids either.

Autism and Accents
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jun 2022, 1:09 pm

This study is in regards to how speech is related to autism. Someone picking up the accents of characters on a show they enjoy is one example, another could be using a more formal way of talking, or having what is seen as an unusual intonation for most other native speakers.

orbweaver
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jun 2022, 3:40 pm

Are there possibly motor elements to autistic speech? For example, slurring one's words or having pronunciation issues when experiencing overload?

ASD (dx. 2004, Asperger's Syndrome) + ADHD

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 5:44 am

When I was 8, my parents sent me to live on a farm for two weeks. I had a noticeable accent copied from the family there by the time I returned, but it faded quickly. I'm also reasonably good at accents for jokes, and in a foreign language at school, but nothing sticks.