Foreign accent syndrome, I may have it - anyone else?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2022, 3:56 pm

When I was around 27 or so I started getting comments that I had an "east coast" or "newfie" accent.

maybe sooner, but that is the first one I remember.

It has got more common, and people familiar with the east coast tend to say it is not newfie, but Nova-Scotian. Also i talk real fast and mumble so it is a bit like Pikey on Snatch.

I was born on the west coast of Canada and have never been to the maritimes.

Wonder if ASD/ADHD types are more prone to it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_accent_syndrome

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2022, 6:39 pm

I may also have it.
It was mainly ignored because of locally varying regional accents.

One may assume I came from another region, speaking with a different dialects and tones of my native language, or has a different mother tongue that comes with the accent...
.. When I've been at the same city, at the same village my whole life.

It helps that my mom's case was being from an entirely different region with an entirely different language...
... Even if my mom never taught her mother tongue at home, and doesn't have the accent that came with it.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2022, 7:53 pm

I have a weird "accent" that's different from the area I live in. I just have issues pronouncing sounds how I'm "supposed" to.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2022, 8:46 pm

I live in Nova Scotia and I don't have much of an accent at all. But then again, I was "taught" at a young age that having a strong accent meant you were stupid or uneducated, like Cletus the Slack-Jawed Yokel. :(

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2022, 9:04 pm

I don't have a strong accent for where I live (Australia), and my voice tends to be distinct; I'm easily recognized on the phone by all the services. Which sometimes is a little annoying as I don't like standing out, even on the phone. My name is spoken soon after I utter my first sentence. I do speak softly and gently, well, that's what I'm told. I do have an Australian accent, that I'm quite aware of.

(Rednecks and Broomsticks is a good episode.)

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 2:16 pm

I'm sure I have an accent because I AM foreign. :D I haven't noticed any on my kids who are born here. Although when we go to US people say we have Canadian accent. :D I usually speak slowly and clearly so I never have to repeat.