Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

christinejarvis21
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Jun 2022, 3:56 pm

HI,
I'm wondering if I have a dairy sensitivity or am lactose intolerant. I have never liked the taste of milk and yesterday I had a sandwich with cheese for lunch and dinner and my stomach hurt so badly. And then this morning I was out of creamer for my coffee, so I put milk in it and the milk was very strong in it and when i drank it I could barely keep it down that I started gagging like i had just put my fingers down my mouth and was trying to cough it up. And now my stomach hurts so badly even after eating something to see if that would help it. Anyone got any suggestions

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2022, 5:04 pm

The texture or viscosity of the milk--say, 100% whole milk vs. 2% vs. skim--could trigger a gag reflex if you're not used to the thicker stuff or thick liquids in general, but the stomach pain could be related to a sensitivity of some sort.

Often, lactose intolerance causes gas, diarrhea, bloating, or nausea. It can vary in severity--in my case, I drink Lactaid milk and usually use a lactose enzyme supplement before eating things like cheese, yogurt, or ice cream. If I forget or skip it, I might be okay...but on occasion I might end up running to the bathroom or simply giving thanks that I'm not in public and my hubby is tolerant of my, um, toots! (He's lactose-intolerant too, but also has a ton of other dietary issues that can lead to migraines, so our refrigerator is stocked with vegan cheese and so on for him.) Luckily for me as a lacto-ovo vegetarian, it works out ok!

Our bodies change over time without advanced warning. It can suck, but at least some of it can be mitigated if you're lucky.

As for the immediate future? It will likely resolve itself soon; drink some water and stick by a bathroom.

christinejarvis21
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Jun 2022, 5:10 pm

Besides my stomach pain i also get really gassy as well.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2022, 5:21 pm

christinejarvis21 wrote:
HI,
I'm wondering if I have a dairy sensitivity or am lactose intolerant. I have never liked the taste of milk and yesterday I had a sandwich with cheese for lunch and dinner and my stomach hurt so badly. And then this morning I was out of creamer for my coffee, so I put milk in it and the milk was very strong in it and when i drank it I could barely keep it down that I started gagging like i had just put my fingers down my mouth and was trying to cough it up. And now my stomach hurts so badly even after eating something to see if that would help it. Anyone got any suggestions

Avoid dairy?

christinejarvis21
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Jun 2022, 6:01 pm

Yeah I probably need to and this morning I had coffee with 2% milk that made me gag. So I think if I can’t handle 2% milk and have horrible stomach pains from eating a sandwich with cheese on it l, there’s something wrong.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2022, 6:08 pm

Is it the same with other animals milk?

christinejarvis21
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Jun 2022, 7:29 pm

I don’t know. I’ve never tried other animals milk.