FINA bans trans atheletes from women's swimming

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 6:44 am

Women can become competitive in sports like swimming and running—but probably not in sports like American football and basketball.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 6:51 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Women can become competitive in sports like swimming and running—but probably not in sports like American football and basketball.

They are almost on par in very specific events - very long distance running and swimming in particular, but men still edge them out at the top of the league as far as I know and for shorter distances it's not even close.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 8:05 am

This is now. How about something like 20-30 years from now?

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 8:45 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

Why would it change? There are no selection pressures at work that could shrink the gap in elite athletics. While athletes have gotten better over the last century, due to better training, nutrition, medicine and knowledge of the human body etc., men and women have roughly improved at the same rate, keeping the gap approximately where it was a century ago.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 12:00 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I hope there comes a day (and I believe this is possible) when women who stay women become competitive with men. Then this issue will become moot.

It does happen occasionally.

Quote:
Beryl Burton, OBE (12 May 1937 – 5 May 1996) was an English racing cyclist who dominated women's cycle racing in the UK, winning more than 90 domestic championships and seven world titles, and setting numerous national records. She set a women's record for the 12-hour time-trial which exceeded the men's record for two years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryl_Burton

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 3:47 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I don't see men approaching women in artistic gymnastics, like, ever. Each gender has sports it dominates in.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 4:58 pm

This seems reasonable at least while trying to fully understand the impact of trans-inclusion.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 10:16 pm

The ban on transgender swimmers competing in major women’s events has been celebrated by trans celebrity Caitlyn Jenner.

https://nypost.com/2022/06/20/caitlyn-j ... g-ban/amp/

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Jun 2022, 12:30 am

Mikah wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
A black day for women’s swimming, irrevocably harmed by the decision to arbitrarily exclude a group of women.

Hopefully Fina are forced to reverse this extremely stupid decision before we start seeing teenage girls (or adult women for that matter) subject to “gender tests”.

Without firing silly studies at each other, let's say for the sake of argument, that the FINA science team is right, that transwomen have an immutable advantage over "regular" women if they have gone through male puberty. Is this decision still arbitrary and incorrect?

Yes - some people will always have advantages over others.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 12:54 am

The_Walrus wrote:

Perhaps a better solution is to do away with all sports divisions. Just one division for everyone.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 1:09 am

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 1:24 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Mikah wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
A black day for women’s swimming, irrevocably harmed by the decision to arbitrarily exclude a group of women.

Hopefully Fina are forced to reverse this extremely stupid decision before we start seeing teenage girls (or adult women for that matter) subject to “gender tests”.

Without firing silly studies at each other, let's say for the sake of argument, that the FINA science team is right, that transwomen have an immutable advantage over "regular" women if they have gone through male puberty. Is this decision still arbitrary and incorrect?

What about unfair advantages?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 1:46 am

Mikah wrote:
They are planning to make an "open" division, but this won't make the trans mafia happy and I doubt many will even want to participate.

That makes perfect sense to have an open division. In some sports they have an open weight division so why not. Women who are really really good can also compete in this division.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 2:11 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

I read women swimmers and representatives of women's swimming, saying a trans swimmer outperforming all of them and easily shattering all of their hard earned records was a black day for women's swimming.

Agreed. I find the inclusion of trans athletes in women's sports a massive step backwards for all the women who have worked hard for years to get to the top of their game.....only to be obliterated by someone who went through male puberty who might have put in a fraction of the training.

If this decision is the result of who I think it is who is 6'1 and is easily an extra third the muscle then good.

Rugby is also next on the chopping block and I imagine MMA and boxing will be soon and not a moment too soon. I think one woman had her skill fractured in an MMA fight in Brazil not long ago by a trans athlete.

Last edited by Nades on 21 Jun 2022, 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 2:19 pm

Mikah wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

Perhaps a better solution is to do away with all sports divisions. Just one division for everyone.

Fallon Fox will love this idea. She can beat all the women she desires to a senseless bloody pulp as she seems so keen on women beating anyway.

(I'm really struggling to call her a she considering her appalling behaviour)

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 3:42 pm

Mikah wrote:

So you expect women to compete with men in sports like boxing and wrestling? That doesn't sound very reasonable.

Yes, I know that there can be only one truly best at something, in the Highlander sort of way, but this would result in no women competing for top awards in some sports and no men in the other. Picture selection for Olympic delegations where sports have no gender divisions.