Tips for making my room appear bigger

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

EdwardHodges
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Jun 2022, 5:15 am

My new room is way smaller than my old one. I want my room to still appear bigger. So, I’m thinking about buying this small double bed. Are there any tips that you can provide before I make my purchase?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 6:06 am

Get a high bed (one with a ladder). Then you basically have all the room without the bed taking any floor space up.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 8:47 pm

Small scale furniture does help, as your instinct suggests. Light colors, blending pallet, mirrors, etc.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Jun 2022, 2:56 am

I use mirrors to trick my claustrophobia into not being triggered.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 4:34 am

Make sure you can fit in this smaller bed. I have a cousin who has a king size bed and while his wife fits in it, he has to sleep with his legs off the end of his bed.

Making rooms look larger. Magnolia or white or a bright pastel colour works. Stick to bright colours.

If one has a model railway consider building round the edges of the bedroom instead.

A false door could work to make the room seem like it goes further than it does, and moving lighting positions onto the walls instead of the centre makes the ceilings look larger than they are (Or get smaller lightbulbs and lightshades if one can't move where the lights are).

Lots of things one can do. Stripes, if done right can make a room look longer or wider.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 12:48 pm

Be careful with mirrors in the bedroom. Feng Shui, folk beliefs, and even some Christian sources say that mirrors and sleeping areas don't mix. They create unsightly reflections and shadows, some of them quite scary-looking. Some people believe they allow dark spirits access to a vulnerable sleeping person. And seeing your own reflection in the dark can be very frightening at times.

At the very least, don't say "Bloody Mary". 8O

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 12:51 pm

Quote:
Tips For Making My Room Appear Bigger

Spend more time in the closet.