Page 2 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Jan 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 999
Location: Indiana

21 Jun 2022, 4:20 pm

Here's a link to the text of the platform on the Texas GOP's website.

Some highlights:

"We believe in self-sufficient families, founded on the traditional marriage of a natural man and a natural woman."

"We oppose all efforts to classify carbon dioxide as a pollutant."

"We oppose environmentalism that obstructs legitimate business interests and private property use, including the regulatory taking of property by government agencies."

"We support the defunding of 'climate justice' initiatives, the abolition of the Environmental Protection Agency, and the repeal of the Endangered Species Act."

"We believe the Minimum Wage Act should be repealed."

"We oppose all efforts to regulate the internet in the United States or internationally."
Then, literally the very next point:
"[We] call on our Congressional Delegation to push for
reform of Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act to limit the ability of online social media platforms to censor the speech of citizens in the new digital town square which they control."
(Regulating the internet is evil! Anyway, it is important we regulate the internet by doing this.)

"Government should not be able to force businesses to require face coverings."

"We support a change to the 14th Amendment . . . [to grant] citizenship only to those who have at least one biological parent who is a US citizen."

"We support the affirmation of traditional Judeo-Christian family values and oppose the continued assault on those values."

"We call for the eventual abolishment of Child Protective Services."

"We demand the State Legislature pass a law prohibiting the teaching of sex education, sexual health, or sexual choice or identity in any public school or grade level whatsoever. . ."

"The official position of Texas schools shall be that there are two genders. . . We oppose transgender curriculum and pronoun use."

"English, and only English, shall appear on any ballot in any election in the United States and the State of Texas."

Both sides! Both sides, guys!


_________________
Diagnoses: AS, Depression, General & Social Anxiety
I guess I just wasn't made for these times.
- Brian Wilson

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides


Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 43,861
Location: Abbottistan

21 Jun 2022, 5:22 pm

Fnord wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I think we can make do without a federal weather service thats American.The Texas version will suffice.

Image


I see those all the time.



Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 43,861
Location: Abbottistan

21 Jun 2022, 5:25 pm

roronoa79 wrote:
Here's a link to the text of the platform on the Texas GOP's website.

Some highlights:

"We believe in self-sufficient families, founded on the traditional marriage of a natural man and a natural woman."

"We oppose all efforts to classify carbon dioxide as a pollutant."

"We oppose environmentalism that obstructs legitimate business interests and private property use, including the regulatory taking of property by government agencies."

"We support the defunding of 'climate justice' initiatives, the abolition of the Environmental Protection Agency, and the repeal of the Endangered Species Act."

"We believe the Minimum Wage Act should be repealed."

"We oppose all efforts to regulate the internet in the United States or internationally."
Then, literally the very next point:
"[We] call on our Congressional Delegation to push for
reform of Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act to limit the ability of online social media platforms to censor the speech of citizens in the new digital town square which they control."
(Regulating the internet is evil! Anyway, it is important we regulate the internet by doing this.)

"Government should not be able to force businesses to require face coverings."

"We support a change to the 14th Amendment . . . [to grant] citizenship only to those who have at least one biological parent who is a US citizen."

"We support the affirmation of traditional Judeo-Christian family values and oppose the continued assault on those values."

"We call for the eventual abolishment of Child Protective Services."

"We demand the State Legislature pass a law prohibiting the teaching of sex education, sexual health, or sexual choice or identity in any public school or grade level whatsoever. . ."

"The official position of Texas schools shall be that there are two genders. . . We oppose transgender curriculum and pronoun use."

"English, and only English, shall appear on any ballot in any election in the United States and the State of Texas."

Both sides! Both sides, guys!


Meanwhile, extreme weather and the barely functionable power grid are hear to stay. What better way to "own the libs".



Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 17,466
Location: Aux Arcs

21 Jun 2022, 5:32 pm

I use one of them new fangled weather sticks. :D
https://www.farmersalmanac.com/how-do-w ... work-21769


_________________
I am the dust that dances in the light. - Rumi


r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 May 2016
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,166
Location: Virginia

21 Jun 2022, 5:36 pm

Fnord wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I think we can make do without a federal weather service thats American.The Texas version will suffice.

Image

Gonna buy one as a gag gift for the office. Thanks for the idea!



ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 28,619
Location: Long Island, New York

22 Jun 2022, 10:06 am

Humidity levels at most can tell you there is a greater chance of bad weather. It can not tell you what type or how bad the weather will be. It can not “predict” beyond the short term.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman


Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 58
Gender: Female
Posts: 17,466
Location: Aux Arcs

22 Jun 2022, 11:58 am

A weather stick would catch on fire in the Texas heat anyhow.
They will need to do it the old fashioned way, how dark is the bull frogs skin or if the ants are banking up soil around their nests, are the leaves turning their undersides up,are the spiders packing their webs up etc…
There is one that is never wrong,
All signs fail during a drought.


_________________
I am the dust that dances in the light. - Rumi


shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 May 2014
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,608

23 Jun 2022, 5:01 am

Well, it would be incredibly stupid, bad for environmental efforts, bad for working class people, women, poc, and lgtbtq+s.
It will open up the place for polluting industry, tax evasion, and hey, texas can have its own stock exchange.
So it would be great for some people who already are billionaires.


So my guess is this will happen, it's as unlikely as Brexit, but the if there's enough prospect of profit, there will be invesent in the project.
I heard Elon "free speech" Musk is a Texan now - it will be interesting how twitter will handle the disinformation campaigns.
What a time to be alive!


_________________
I can read facial expressions. I did the test.


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 28,427

23 Jun 2022, 5:36 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I will vote to secede from the United States of America.


Wait, doesn't that go against everything the republicans stand for??



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 28,427

23 Jun 2022, 5:37 am

r00tb33r wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I think we can make do without a federal weather service thats American.The Texas version will suffice.

Image

Gonna buy one as a gag gift for the office. Thanks for the idea!


For it to be authentic, doesn't need a loop at the bottom?



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 83,951
Location: Queens, NYC

23 Jun 2022, 6:31 am

I don’t like rednecks (the present-day definition) all that much.

But I don’t believe most are into lynching.



carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 5 Mar 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,210

23 Jun 2022, 6:43 am

The more the central power moves away from the culture & views of the regions the more likely succession of those areas. We saw this in Ukraine in 2014 & Spain with Catalonia.

The most relevant is the UK. When Tony Blair came to power in 1997 he created a Scottish / Welsh Parliament, the independence movements back then in those regions were marginalised and not a big movement.

Over the following two decades all investment in the UK went to the south and hardly anything to the regions. Now depending on what poll you listen to about half of Scottish people now want independence and the Independence party there in the parliament -The Scottish Nationalist Party is the largest & most popular. In Wales its a bit less but the Independence seeking Welsh Nationalist Party are still one of the largest & most popular in wales.

Meanwhile in N Ireland the once banned United Ireland Independence seeking party Sinn Fein is the largest in power after winning an election a few weeks ago.

Its not an over exaggeration to state the UK in its present form is unlikely to exist in a few years, in fact its no 1 in the world right now for most likely to break up peacefully.


_________________
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends upon the unreasonable man."

- George Bernie Shaw


Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Sep 2012
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,983
Location: United States of America

23 Jun 2022, 8:30 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don’t like rednecks (the present-day definition) all that much.

But I don’t believe most are into lynching.


They don't like homosexuals. They're willing to pass legislation that makes it harder for them to get married, vote, get insurance, find employment, strip them of basic human rights, etc., but they don't want to eliminate them?


_________________
I am sick, and in so being I am the healthy one.

I know what I hate in life and I love the fact that I hate these things in life.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.


Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 11 Sep 2018
Age: 64
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,416
Location: New York City (Queens)

23 Jun 2022, 2:03 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Going back to the 1950s is exactly what is wanted.

I guess by "going back to the 1950s" you mean going back to the conformist culture of that decade. They probably DON'T want to restore 1950s-era federal income tax policy, which IMO would be a good thing.


_________________
- Autistic in NYC - Resources and new ideas for the autistic adult community in the New York City metro area.
- Autistic peer-led groups (via text-based chat, currently) led or facilitated by members of the Autistic Peer Leadership Group.
- My Twitter (new as of 2021)


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 54
Gender: Male
Posts: 28,427

23 Jun 2022, 5:22 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Going back to the 1950s is exactly what is wanted.

I guess by "going back to the 1950s" you mean going back to the conformist culture of that decade. They probably DON'T want to restore 1950s-era federal income tax policy, which IMO would be a good thing.


Oh I'm sure they want Americans to return to the "good old days" but they don't want to pay for it out of their pockets.

What they want to restore from the 1950s is obvious
https://www.salon.com/2021/03/17/gop-dr ... ting-laws/

I am getting bored of hearing MAGA podcasters and their subscribers talk in code about how things like crime are linked to desegregation.

We have the same "types" in Australia who want to turn back the clock on immigration. same same...



Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 25 Feb 2021
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,594
Location: Texas

23 Jun 2022, 6:17 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I will vote to secede from the United States of America.


Wait, doesn't that go against everything the republicans stand for??

I am actually more Libertarian-leaning than Republican-leaning and quite a few American Libertarians believe in secession.Also many Texas Republicans want Texas to be its own country again.