Page 3 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 6:34 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I will vote to secede from the United States of America.

Wait, doesn't that go against everything the republicans stand for??

I am actually more Libertarian-leaning than Republican-leaning and quite a few American Libertarians believe in secession.Also many Texas Republicans want Texas to be its own country again.

We have a mineral/resource rich state in Australia called Western Australia (WA) that like Texas is sparsely populated and also heavily into farming. WA has long been calling for secession from the rest of Australia for more than a century but I think that train left the station a long long time ago for both WA and Texas.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 6:37 pm

One-party rule by the Dems, by a party further to the left, or anarchy are our only hope.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 6:59 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

I am actually more Libertarian-leaning than Republican-leaning and quite a few American Libertarians believe in secession.Also many Texas Republicans want Texas to be its own country again.

We have a mineral/resource rich state in Australia called Western Australia (WA) that like Texas is sparsely populated and also heavily into farming. WA has long been calling for secession from the rest of Australia for more than a century but I think that train left the station a long long time ago for both WA and Texas.

The population of our one state of Texas is half-again that of the ENTIRE of nation of Australia (39 million vs 26 million). And this revival of Texas seperatism is coming after Texas has grown so much in population in recent decades that it is MORE crowded than the average US state. If you ignore Alaska the US has about 100 folks people per square mile. Texas has about 160 people per square mile.

Fun fact that I learned recently. In your constitution you Aussies have what amounts to a standing invitation to New Zealand to unite with Australia. Has legal mechanisms in place so when in and if NZ ever chooses to do that it can be easily done.

If we put a standing invitation to Canada to merge with us into our constitution the Canadians would probably amend their constitution with a standing invitation to us to "get bent". :lol:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 7:12 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Fun fact that I learned recently. In your constitution you Aussies have what amounts to a standing invitation to New Zealand to unite with Australia. Has legal mechanisms in place so when in and if NZ ever chooses to do that it can be easily done.

I actually never thought about why New Zealand chose to follow an independent path from Australia? we have a MOU with New Zealand that their citizens can enter Australia and many hundreds of thousands of New Zealanders live, marry and have kids here. Citizenship is almost automatic once a "kiwi" decides to become a "kangaroo".

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 8:19 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

Texas is not really sparsely populated anymore as a whole because we have about 30 million now.Although Dont get me wrong we still have very rural areas but I would not say 30 million is sparsely populated.I think the Texas secede ship sailed a long time too.Realistically I think the most probabal way would be if The USA fell apart like the USSR.But thats just my hypothesis.However I dont think it will happen while I am alive.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 8:58 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
.Realistically I think the most probabal way would be if The USA fell apart like the USSR.But thats just my hypothesis.However I dont think it will happen while I am alive.

The USSR was always living on borrowed time. When it did fall, it splintered very quickly.

Texans want to vote in unison then they need to vote representatives who will push through laws/policies that enhance autonomy from Washington. But I'm guessing Texas ins't a united front.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 9:56 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
.Realistically I think the most probabal way would be if The USA fell apart like the USSR.But thats just my hypothesis.However I dont think it will happen while I am alive.

The USSR was always living on borrowed time. When it did fall, it splintered very quickly.

Texans want to vote in unison then they need to vote representatives who will push through laws/policies that enhance autonomy from Washington. But I'm guessing Texas ins't a united front.

Ya Texans have a wide variety of political views even if were mostly republican.Someone in San Angelo likely has very different political views than someone who lives in Downtown Houston.There are even quite a few flavors of Republican in Texas.Texas is way less Right Wing than a state like Oklahoma so Texas is not super conservative.We have lots of moderate Republicans and democrats here too.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 10:13 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

Ya Texans have a wide variety of political views even if were mostly republican.Someone in San Angelo likely has very different political views than someone who lives in Downtown Houston.There are even quite a few flavors of Republican in Texas.Texas is way less Right Wing than a state like Oklahoma so Texas is not super conservative.We have lots of moderate Republicans and democrats here too.

I think the industries, institutions and organisations based in texas mean there's a snowflakes chance in hell Washington would let Texas go there own way.

Houston is a major city in the US and is connected to other states/cities.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 10:22 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

I think the industries, institutions and organisations based in texas mean there's a snowflakes chance in hell Washington would let Texas go there own way.

Houston is a major city in the US and is connected to other states/cities.

You are correct.The US would not willkingly let Texas go.I guess secession could happen if the dollar became worthless or if there was some really bad SHTF scenario

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 1:54 am

cyberdad wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

Theyre not even comparable things. The USSR was not equivalent to the US. It was equivalent to the British Empire under Queen Victoria. Britain ruled one fourth of the dry land on the planet, but lost it all within 20 years after WWII as its over seas colonies (Kenya, India, Malaya, etc) became independent countries. The Soviet Union was the second largest European colonial power after Britain compromising about one sixth of the world's landmass. Once Communism ended in circa 1990 it also fell apart. The parts that broke from the Russian Republic (Latvia, Ukraine, Kazahkistan, Armenia, etc) are not equivalent to American states, but more like Ireland, and Pakistan (former British colonies).

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 2:55 am

naturalplastic wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

Theyre not even comparable things. The USSR was not equivalent to the US. It was equivalent to the British Empire under Queen Victoria. Britain ruled one fourth of the dry land on the planet, but lost it all within 20 years after WWII as its over seas colonies (Kenya, India, Malaya, etc) became independent countries. The Soviet Union was the second largest European colonial power after Britain compromising about one sixth of the world's landmass. Once Communism ended in circa 1990 it also fell apart. The parts that broke from the Russian Republic (Latvia, Ukraine, Kazahkistan, Armenia, etc) are not equivalent to American states, but more like Ireland, and Pakistan (former British colonies).

I was just using the fall of the Soviet Union as an example for a government falling apart to illustrate my point of slight possiblily of the federal government collapsing through bankruptcy or currency collapse at some point which could allow Texas to be free again at some point in the distant future.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 3:04 am

naturalplastic wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

Empires never last, but they leave a lasting legacy

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 3:17 am

cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

Empires never last, but they leave a lasting legacy

I totally agree.I was using the Russian example to illustrate that every great Empire falls.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 7:27 am

shlaifu wrote:
Well, it would be incredibly stupid, bad for environmental efforts, bad for working class people, women, poc, and lgtbtq+s.
It will open up the place for polluting industry, tax evasion, and hey, texas can have its own stock exchange.
So it would be great for some people who already are billionaires.

So my guess is this will happen, it's as unlikely as Brexit, but the if there's enough prospect of profit, there will be invesent in the project.
I heard Elon "free speech" Musk is a Texan now - it will be interesting how twitter will handle the disinformation campaigns.
What a time to be alive!

How exactly would it open the door to tax evasion?I see it opening up way more legal tax avoidance but not evasion.There is a difference between tax evasion and tax avoidance.One is legal and the government wants you to do it and the other illegal.At least if this happens it will be good for my dads petroleum company but i dont see it hdappening anytime soon.It would actually result in more jobs g tafor the working class if Millionaire and Billionaire Texans paid less in taxes even if they are low quality jobs.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 3:56 pm

I get the feeling that the people fantasizing about secession somehow think that if they did secede, everything would be exactly the same, except with more Freedom! without that mean ol' Federal Government RUINING everything! It reminds me of a child dreaming of the day they can finally move out and "do whatever they want", failing to take into account even simple concepts like "rent" or "food".

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 4:02 pm

Now does everybody see why I'm trying to move to NYC, San Francisco, or Seattle?

Does everybody see why I am applying to jobs I am not fully qualified for, or that I don't really want to do, simply because they are in the above-mentioned cities and pay six-figure salaries (the minimum to afford thise cities)?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!