Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 7:38 pm

Texas Could Vote to Secede From U.S. in 2023 as GOP Pushes for Referendum

Quote:
Texas Republicans are pushing for a referendum to decide whether the state should secede from the U.S.

The demand for Texans to be allowed to vote on the issue in 2023 was one of many measures adopted in the Texas GOP's party platform following last week's state convention in Houston.

Under a section titled "State Sovereignty," the platform states: "Pursuant to Article 1, Section 1, of the Texas Constitution, the federal government has impaired our right of local self-government. Therefore, federally mandated legislation that infringes upon the 10th Amendment rights of Texas should be ignored, opposed, refused, and nullified.

Texas retains the right to secede from the United States, and the Texas Legislature should be called upon to pass a referendum consistent thereto."

In another section on state governance, the platform states that Texas Republicans want the state Legislature to pass a bill in its next session "requiring a referendum in the 2023 general election for the people of Texas to determine whether or not the State of Texas should reassert its status as an independent nation."

The U.S. Constitution makes no provision for states to secede and in 1869, the Supreme Court ruled in Texas v. White that states cannot unilaterally secede from the Union.

"If there was any constitutional issue resolved by the Civil War, it is that there is no right to secede," the late Justice Antonin Scalia once wrote.

The Texas GOP's new party platform also called for full repeal of the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

Bolding=mine

Texas GOP Goes All-In on Trump’s Big Lie, Says Biden Is ‘Acting President’
Quote:
It’s been over 500 days since President Joe Biden was sworn into office—but some Texas Republicans still refuse to believe it.

The Republican Party of Texas over the weekend passed a resolution rejecting Biden’s victory in the 2020 election in the latest attempt to further promote false voter fraud claims. The resolution was made during the party’s first in-person state party convention in four years, where they voted on the official party platform that also called homosexuality “an abnormal lifestyle choice” and urged Texas schools to reach children “about the humanity of the preborn child.”

“We reject the certified results of the 2020 Presidential election, and we hold that acting President Joseph Robinette Biden Jr. was not legitimately elected by the people of the United States,” read the resolution, which was passed on Saturday. “

And the denial of Biden’s presidency wasn’t the only highlight at the Republicans’ convention. The party now officially, in writing, opposes “all efforts to validate transgender identity” and does not support the use of taxpayer funds for any “medical gender dysphoria treatments or sex change operations.” The resolution also urges the Texas Legislature “to abolish abortion.”

The official position of the Texas schools shall be that there are only two genders: biological male and biological female,” the resolution states. “We oppose transgender normalizing curriculum and pronoun use. We hold that biological men shall compete against other biological men and biological women shall compete against other biological women in athletics in the public school system of Texas and at the collegiate level.”

The state party’s resolution also opposes the bipartisan gun bill currently in negotiations—noting that “all gun control is a violation of the Second Amendment and our God given rights.”

Even Republican stalwarts, like Sen. John Cornyn, were not spared from the far-right. The senator was repeatedly booed by members of his own party on Friday after working with colleagues across the aisle on potential gun control

The official position of the Texas schools shall be that there are only two genders: biological male and biological female,” the resolution states. “We oppose transgender normalizing curriculum and pronoun use. We hold that biological men shall compete against other biological men and biological women shall compete against other biological women in athletics in the public school system of Texas and at the collegiate level.”

The state party’s resolution also opposes the bipartisan gun bill currently in negotiations—noting that “all gun control is a violation of the Second Amendment and our God given rights.”

Even Republican stalwarts, like Sen. John Cornyn, were not spared from the far-right. The senator was repeatedly booed by members of his own party on Friday after working with colleagues across the aisle on potential gun control legislation.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 8:29 pm

Not happening.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 9:43 pm

I will vote to secede from the United States of America.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 10:49 pm

"Okay Texas, you do that, go right ahead and secede. And all the US Federal military-industrial complex money & the US Federal aerospace industry money which ends up in your state will vanish since you have now become something other than the USA. And all the people who do those jobs will vanish. And all the money those people and their families pay to the local grocery stores, and pay to cable companies, and pay to water and sewer and power companies, and the taxes and fees they pay to local governments, and the money they pay to realtors, and pay to car dealers, and so forth and so on, will go away, will vanish.
oh, true, certainly not in one afternoon, but it will go away. And we will make sure that everyone knows it is going away and going away soon.

Okay Texas, do kindly allow me one more moment to remind you of an interesting little data nugget, just one nugget among the many,

Texas comptroller reveals economic impact of Fort Hood
By David A. Bryant | Herald staff writer Jul 6, 2016
https://kdhnews.com/news/local/texas-co ... 0e1c2.html
"
FORT HOOD — Texas Comptroller Glenn Hegar announced Wednesday that Fort Hood contributes $35.4 billion to the Texas economy and supports about 200,000 Texans in some capacity, providing about $12 billion in disposable personal income.
"

Oh, do excuse me and allow one more tiny little data nugget,
https://gov.texas.gov/uploads/files/bus ... Report.pdf
"
Texas is the top recipient of defense spending
in the country. The U.S. Department of
Defense awarded $83 billion in contracts to
Texas businesses in fiscal year 2020—more
than any other state.
"

Oh, my apologies, just one more additional data nugget, then I promise, Texas, I am done,
https://comptroller.texas.gov/economy/f ... litary.php
"
The Comptroller study found that the 15 major military installations located in Texas generate more than $136.6 billion in economic activity here each year, and add $81.4 billion to our gross state product (Exhibit 1). They also generate $48.1 billion in annual personal income and support, directly and indirectly, nearly 806,000 Texas jobs.

In many areas, the installation is an essential part of the local economy — and of the community.
"

So, yes, Texas, only you know what's best for you, so go right on ahead and secede."

Last edited by kitesandtrainsandcats on 20 Jun 2022, 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 10:53 pm

And from Texas Public Radio in June of 2020,
https://www.tpr.org/military-veterans-i ... -new-study
"
A new study by the Texas Comptroller estimates that military installations contributed at least $123.6 billion to the Texas economy in 2019, and supported more than 630,000 jobs in communities across the state.

Joint Base San Antonio had an economic output of more than $41 billion last year — the highest of any military installation in the state. It also supported over 210,000 jobs directly and indirectly.

The study includes active duty, visiting and other military personnel, dependents, civilian employees and contractors directly affiliated with the base.

Texas Comptroller Glenn Hegar said the study was meant to inform local and state-level policy makers.

“Sometimes we forget that those military installations… those are the reasons that homes are built. Those are the reasons that local grocery stores exist — which are additional jobs,” he explained. “So all the different types of peripheral support systems that an economy needs, those things would go away if we didn't have our installations here in the state of Texas.”
"

"
In 2005, the Defense Base Closure and Realignment Commission ordered billions in construction and sent thousands more troops to the San Antonio area. During that BRAC round, JBSA-Fort Sam Houston became the home of enlisted medical training, and the San Antonio Military Medical Center was expanded.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott praised the study in a statement Monday, pointing to military installations as economic bulwarks during tough times.

“Now more than ever, these jobs add critical stability for communities focused on economic recovery following the COVID-19 pandemic,” Abbott’s statement said. “That is why I will continue to work with the Texas Legislature and TMPC to ensure that military installations in Texas keep adding unmatched value for our nation.”
"

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 10:57 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
"Okay Texas, you do that, go right ahead and secede. And all the US Federal military-industrial complex money & the US Federal aerospace industry money which ends up in your state will vanish. And all the people who do those jobs will vanish. And all the money those people and their families pay to the local grocery stores, and pay to cable companies, and pay to water and sewer and power companies, and the taxes and fees they pay to local governments, and the money they pay to realtors, and pay to car dealers, and so forth and so on, will go away, will vanish.
oh, true, certainly not in one afternoon, but it will go away. And we will make sure that everyone knows it is going away and going away soon.

Okay Texas, do kindly allow me one more moment to remind you of an interesting little data nugget, just one nugget among the many,

Texas comptroller reveals economic impact of Fort Hood
By David A. Bryant | Herald staff writer Jul 6, 2016
https://kdhnews.com/news/local/texas-co ... 0e1c2.html
"
FORT HOOD — Texas Comptroller Glenn Hegar announced Wednesday that Fort Hood contributes $35.4 billion to the Texas economy and supports about 200,000 Texans in some capacity, providing about $12 billion in disposable personal income.
"

Oh, do excuse me and allow one more tiny little data nugget,
https://gov.texas.gov/uploads/files/bus ... Report.pdf
"
Texas is the top recipient of defense spending
in the country. The U.S. Department of
Defense awarded $83 billion in contracts to
Texas businesses in fiscal year 2020—more
than any other state.
"

Oh, my apologies, just one more additional data nugget, then I promise, Texas, I am done,
https://comptroller.texas.gov/economy/f ... litary.php
"
The Comptroller study found that the 15 major military installations located in Texas generate more than $136.6 billion in economic activity here each year, and add $81.4 billion to our gross state product (Exhibit 1). They also generate $48.1 billion in annual personal income and support, directly and indirectly, nearly 806,000 Texas jobs.

In many areas, the installation is an essential part of the local economy — and of the community.
"

So, yes, Texas, only you know what's best for you, so go right on ahead and secede."

Well that would be fine with me for the most part because I dont believe in a professional American military because I am libertarian-leaning.Texas would eventually get new industries and major employers and diversify the economy as its done many times throughout our history.I think the installations could be maintained and supported by a indendendent Texas if we chose to.I want military spending drastically cut.I dont support the existence of a Army that is part of the federal government.That is just my political belief.I am a pacifist for the most part.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 11:09 pm

"Oh, and one more thing, Texas, since you will no longer be part of the US nation you will no longer have access to US National Weather Service data on tornadoes and hurricanes. But, hey, everybody knows Texans are smart, so you will probably be able to build you own all new weather service and launch your own weather satellites via Elon Musk in five years or so, assuming Musk wishes to remain in a what will become a second world country while no longer getting launch contracts from US government and businesses.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 11:18 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Well that would be fine with me for the most part because

Your emotions lack some critical data.
I was there when the US Navy base in Newport Rhode Island was closed.
What might be fine with you at your age and level of life experience will prove disastrous for a lot of adults.

For an illustration, from 1977:
That was one base in one city, multiply it by the dozen or more bases in Texas.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/ ... 923d36442/
"
Meanwhile, according to Garrahy and a dozen economists, bankers and state officials interviewed, Rhode Island continues to suffer from the debilitation effects of the base closures.

After the base closings, the statewide unemployment rate soared from about 6 per cent to 18.2 per cent, rising to more than 30 per cent in some towns.

Coupled with the economic impact of the Middle East oil embargo and the national recession, the loss of the Navy's $344 million annual payroll caused an immediate 6 per cent loss in the gross state product. Rhode Island, which trailed the average national per capita income by only $9 in 1972, fell $138 behind two years later. In one year, small-business income dropped by 25 per cent in the Newport area and by 15 per cent in the Quonset Point area.

Restaurants and bars on Sailor's Row in Newport folded almost immediately and, as the Navy withdraw its forces rapidly over the first year, hundreds of rental its forces rapidly over the first yearTNational chain retailers which had announced plans for new outlets suddenly withdrew, leaving shopping center developers with big parking lots and little else.

Teacher employment plummeted, and several towns found themselves with empty schools and bond issues they will be paying off for years.

"There has been nobody as little as us who has ever been so devastated," said James O. Roberson, director of the State Department of Economic Development.
"

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 11:21 pm

"Oh, and one more thing, Texas, since you will no longer be part of the US nation you will no longer have access to US National Weather Service data on tornadoes and hurricanes. But, hey, everybody knows Texans are smart, so you will probably be able to build you own all new weather service and launch your own weather satellites via Elon Musk in five years or so, assuming Musk wishes to remain in a what will become a second world country while no longer getting launch contracts from US government and businesses.

I think we can make do without a federal weather service thats American.The Texas version will suffice.

Last edited by Texasmoneyman300 on 20 Jun 2022, 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2022, 11:23 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Well that would be fine with me for the most part because

Your emotions lack some critical data.
I was there when the US Navy base in Newport Rhode Island was closed.
What might be fine with you at your age and level of life experience will prove disastrous for a lot of adults.

For an illustration, from 1977:
That was one base in one city, multiply it by the dozen or more bases in Texas.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/ ... 923d36442/
"
Meanwhile, according to Garrahy and a dozen economists, bankers and state officials interviewed, Rhode Island continues to suffer from the debilitation effects of the base closures.

After the base closings, the statewide unemployment rate soared from about 6 per cent to 18.2 per cent, rising to more than 30 per cent in some towns.

Coupled with the economic impact of the Middle East oil embargo and the national recession, the loss of the Navy's $344 million annual payroll caused an immediate 6 per cent loss in the gross state product. Rhode Island, which trailed the average national per capita income by only $9 in 1972, fell $138 behind two years later. In one year, small-business income dropped by 25 per cent in the Newport area and by 15 per cent in the Quonset Point area.

Restaurants and bars on Sailor's Row in Newport folded almost immediately and, as the Navy withdraw its forces rapidly over the first year, hundreds of rental its forces rapidly over the first yearTNational chain retailers which had announced plans for new outlets suddenly withdrew, leaving shopping center developers with big parking lots and little else.

Teacher employment plummeted, and several towns found themselves with empty schools and bond issues they will be paying off for years.

"There has been nobody as little as us who has ever been so devastated," said James O. Roberson, director of the State Department of Economic Development.
"

I dont support the existence of a permerment professional federal military so that doesnt change my opinion.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 12:34 am

How does anyone stay calm despite the possibility of sociopolitical genocide growing every so often in recent years? The rightwing is becoming more unhinged. How long before they all lose their collective minds and start doxxing the identities and home addresses of left leaning politicians and citizens before longknifing them to death or just gunning them down?

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 10:34 am

Everybody is focusing on one aspect of this platform, succession, when it advocates for so much more.

Repeal the 2020 election
Repeal the 1965 voting rights act
No recognition of transgenders
No gun control

If they do secede access to American weather information should not be a problem unless people out of spite make it one. Data is shared between countries. American forecasters use modeling from many different countries and visa versa.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 21 Jun 2022, 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 10:37 am

Repealing the 1965 Voting Rights Act would make Texas, basically, a Jim Crow area again......

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 11:04 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Repealing the 1965 Voting Rights Act would make Texas, basically, a Jim Crow area again......

Going back to the 1950s is exactly what is wanted.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 12:21 pm

They better get the power grid in better shape, last time it got cold down there a bunch froze to death.
What about drinking water?Pretty dry there.
https://www.texastribune.org/2021/08/02 ... wells/amp/
Since Tejas used to belong to Mexico, the best option is to just give it back.
Then it can be Mexico’s problem state.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 12:23 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I think we can make do without a federal weather service thats American.The Texas version will suffice.