Sitting through the bad to get to the good

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 12:55 am

The question is would it be worth it?
You take any media that has a terrible beginning but gets better later on. Are you willing to sit through it all?

Example one: Bojack Horseman

The first six episodes are the worst, but it gets a lot better. It was worth it because afterwards there was five and a half seasons of good material to look forward to.

Example two: Legend of Korra

I enjoyed Avatar: The Last Airbender, but I am very hesitant on starting on Korra. I've heard reports that the first two seasons, mostly season one, is plagued with terrible writing. Do I really want to sit through half the show's run just to get to the good parts? I think I'll stick with Aang's adventures and go no further.

Example three: A band's entire discography

I've seen plenty of music news sites rank a band or music artist's entire song library from worst to best.
Listening to it all in that specific order, I think that might be a little fun.

What do you think?

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 10:34 am

How do you know in advance that something good is coming later? If I know the latter part is good, then I might as well skip the beginning. Do I have that choice? Without the knowledge that something good is coming after the bad, there's no way I'd tolerate the bad part. Do I understand your question correctly?

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 11:00 am

temp1234 wrote:
How do you know in advance that something good is coming later? If I know the latter part is good, then I might as well skip the beginning. Do I have that choice? Without the knowledge that something good is coming after the bad, there's no way I'd tolerate the bad part. Do I understand your question correctly?

I usually go by critics reviews and audience reactions as well as short clips to take a glimpse at it for myself. You're welcome to skip if that is your decision but I like to absorb the whole plot.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.