WP was inaccessible for several hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 8:10 am

DNS error

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 8:10 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
DNS erroe
Are you saying something went worng or that someone made a mitsake?

:wink:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 10:02 am

:lol:

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 6:51 pm

I've been getting regular instances whereby it takes a minute or two for a WP page to load in recent weeks. It's not a browser issue, as it occurs on both Google Chrome and Firefox, and other websites work perfectly fine.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 9:00 pm

This site goes really slow for me too, whichever browser I use, but strangely it goes quicker if I switch my wifi connection off on my phone and just use the 4G thing. So WP doesn't seem to like wifi I don't think, as other sites work fine on wifi.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

22 Jun 2022, 4:46 am

A DNS error has nothing to do with WP the site, as the name indicates.
This is more like a telephone directory entry being temporarily unavailable for some reason, but the person the entry references is nevertheless still reachable and while DNS is a global service, everyone still connects to a specific DNS provider as the starting point of that service. If that fails, the telephone directory entry is unavailable on that provider.
If it's possible, I suggest you change your primary and secondary DNS addresses to Google's public DNS servers, at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Slow page loads - I see this in maybe 1 out of 30 pages: it can be a delay before a page is displayed, or a delay before the "This message has been posted successfully" message appears.

No website "likes" one type of connection over another - but local/nearby network conditions/performance may give that appearance.

There are several connections involved between a PC/mobile device and WP, all of which contribute to your connected experience.
Most notably, WP is accessed through the CloudFlare service and while not perfect, it insulates users from many potential outages.
But even CloudFlare is dependent on the performance of the network, the string of connections, between your device and the relevant CloudFlare node and neither it, nor WP, can help with that.