SCOTUS OKs use of public money for religious education

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 5:55 pm

The court ruled that Maine can't exclude families in areas without public high schools from using state-provided tuition money for sectarian education

Quote:
The Supreme Court ruled Tuesday that state programs providing money for public school tuition cannot exclude schools that offer religious instruction.

The decision relaxed long-standing restrictions on using taxpayer money to pay for religious education, further lowering the wall of separation between church and state.

The vote was 6-3, with Justices Stephen Breyer, Elena Kagan and Sonia Sotomayor dissenting.

At issue was a state program in Maine that made taxpayer money available to families who live in remote areas without public high schools. Under the state law, they could use the money for their children's tuition at public or private schools in other communities, but not for sectarian schools, defined as those that promote a particular faith or belief system and teach material “through the lens of this faith.”

Writing for the majority, Chief Justice John Roberts said Maine’s program “promotes stricter separation of church and state than the federal Constitution requires.”

The tuition program is not neutral, he said, because “the state pays tuition for certain students at private schools — so long as the schools are not religious. That is discrimination against religion.”

He also noted that the state money does not go directly to schools but flows “through the independent choices of private benefit recipients.”

Justice Stephen Breyer, writing for himself and Justice Kagan, cited what he called “an increased risk of religiously based social conflict when government promotes religion in the public school system.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 8:06 pm

MAGA christians pushing their influence on education and making ordinary taxpayers pay for their students to learn that god created the earth in 7 days and other things that are really crucial in a world in crisis :roll:

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 8:45 pm

Not the least bit surprising, given the make up of the court.

Consider that we are getting the soft balls first. We haven't even gotten to the "good" stuff.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 2:07 am

cyberdad wrote:
MAGA christians pushing their influence on education and making ordinary taxpayers pay for their students to learn that god created the earth in 7 days and other things that are really crucial in a world in crisis :roll:

This existed way before "MAGA". Is strange to me how you so often use a slogan started in 2015 as the starting point of multiple issues.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 2:11 am

It seems like if public money is used for LGBTQQIP2SAA+ education, that's wonderful. If used for religious education, that's deplorable.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 4:14 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

This existed way before "MAGA". Is strange to me how you so often use a slogan started in 2015 as the starting point of multiple issues.

I use it synonymously with conservative christian, tea party and evangelicals etc...same clowns who back in the 1980s/90s were hell bent (pardon the pun) to outlaw the teaching of evolution in schools.