Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 8:33 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I ordered a bottle of vanilla .

Duh. Sorry - yes you can order food. lmao.
My bad.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 8:57 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
My bad.

It's okay to have a my bad; just don't buy mad.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 1:42 am

nick007 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
I buy things from amazon sometimes, usually because it's significantly cheaper than in store and sometimes because they're not available in store. I guess sometimes just for convenience, too.. like why would I want to drive all over town searching through retail stores to see if they have what I want when I can just click and order a handful of things ? Internet and amazon has changed shopping forever.

Sure, I still like to support local.. but sometimes it's very hard to do when prices are WAY higher and I can't afford to pay that much more for things. There's also a shortage of workout/dietary supplements on store shelves right now, so chances are I'll buy some from amazon. Not sure how amazon sellers can keep stuff in stock but there's nothing on major grocery chain store shelves ?? But that's the current reality, soooo, gotta order from there.

Still, I try to strike a balance and buy things from locals when it makes sense - especially locally made things.. but for stuff that's mass produced mass market stuff that gets sold at every big box retailer ?? I don't really care that much whether the sale goes to Costco or Amazon. I mean, Costco Does treat their employees better.. so there's that.. but it's not like I'm choosing between a local artisan or amazon for many of these items.
I would suggest checking eBay & & online drug stores like RiteAid & Walgreens before buying supplements & over the counter meds & other such things from Amazon. Sometimes other sites have better deals & if your buying from eBay it's more likely that your buying from an individual or smaller business. Amazon does seem to have the best prices sometimes thou, it's very hit & miss. I can spend quite a while comparing prices before placing my orders.
As for as the sales going to Costco instead of Amazon, I've heard some bad things about Costco as well so I figure we might as well buy from the place that's more convenient &/or cheaper instead of worrying about which businesses gets our money & which 1s don't based on our ethics & moral principles. Going by ethics & morals is usually picking the lesser of two evils thing cuz lots of stores & businesses can be greedy bastards :twisted:

Haven't checked ebay. Haven't really shopped there for anything in many years. We don't have RiteAid or Walgreens in Canada.

Large grocery stores, pharmacies, and health/supplement stores tend to carry protein powders and supplements. Not sure where people might order stuff online here besides amazon when store shelves are bare. There are probably a bunch of body building websites that sell the stuff. I guess it's worth a google to see if there are cheaper sources.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 9:37 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
I ordered a bottle of vanilla .

Duh. Sorry - yes you can order food. lmao.
My bad.

They also take EBT benefits , so does Walmart.
I can’t get fresh food but I can order rice, flour, and other non-perishables.
Once I ordered a jar of molasses fro
Walmart,which came open during transport.It was oozing put the coroners of the box.Walmart not only refunded the molasses ,but everything in the box that got covered .
Which was a good deal since I just washed the molasses off that stuff and it was just fine.
Walmart also has pet food so I order in bulk from them.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

25 Jun 2022, 10:34 am

Misslizard wrote:
Walmart,which came open during transport.It was oozing put the coroners of the box.Walmart not only refunded the molasses ,but everything in the box that got covered .
Which was a good deal since I just washed the molasses off that stuff and it was just fine.
Both WalMart & Amazon package things poorly sometimes. They put things together that should not be in the same box like they'll put something small & kinda fragile in the same box with something big & heavy & they toss in a couple things of bubble-wrap packaging which is a waste. Since there is still a lot of space in the box, the couple peices of bubble packaging are of no use. That packaging is bad for the eveinrment & is an unnessesary expense if it won't protect the products. I doubt the overall costs would be much more epensive to ship orders in multiple boxes that fit the items more snugly. If less orders get damanged, there's less frustrated cusomers & will lose fewer customers, less customer service reps are needed to assist customers with those issues, they're having to ship fewer replacement orders, & give out fewer refunds & credits.

My girlfreind sometimes buys canned catfood from Amazon & WalMart online cuz the kind our cat likes can be hard to find at the Williston WalMart sometimes. The online prices flutuate a lot so Cass checks both sites before ordering. However lots of various non-parishable related items can be very hard to find online from WalMart, Amazon & other various stores. I find it ironic that WalMart & other chain stores are adveriting online ordering when lots of things on their site say "Avilable In Store Only". It's an unnesseary expense to advertise online ordering for a site if that site has nothing for sale or nothing for sale at halfway decent prices that their customers can actually afford to buy. Most people won't bother ordering online if they have to pay a lot more for most anything online than they do offline & still have to go to the store in person anyway cuz half the products they want are only aviilable in stores. I swear I have a lot more buisnesses sense than a lot of the people running these big cororations.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 11:07 am

nick007 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Both WalMart & Amazon package things poorly sometimes. They put things together that should not be in the same box like they'll put something small & kinda fragile in the same box with something big & heavy & they toss in a couple things of bubble-wrap packaging which is a waste. Since there is still a lot of space in the box, the couple peices of bubble packaging are of no use. That packaging is bad for the eveinrment & is an unnessesary expense if it won't protect the products. I doubt the overall costs would be much more epensive to ship orders in multiple boxes that fit the items more snugly. If less orders get damanged, there's less frustrated cusomers & will lose fewer customers, less customer service reps are needed to assist customers with those issues, they're having to ship fewer replacement orders, & give out fewer refunds & credits.

My girlfreind sometimes buys canned catfood from Amazon & WalMart online cuz the kind our cat likes can be hard to find at the Williston WalMart sometimes. The online prices flutuate a lot so Cass checks both sites before ordering. However lots of various non-parishable related items can be very hard to find online from WalMart, Amazon & other various stores. I find it ironic that WalMart & other chain stores are adveriting online ordering when lots of things on their site say "Avilable In Store Only". It's an unnesseary expense to advertise online ordering for a site if that site has nothing for sale or nothing for sale at halfway decent prices that their customers can actually afford to buy. Most people won't bother ordering online if they have to pay a lot more for most anything online than they do offline & still have to go to the store in person anyway cuz half the products they want are only aviilable in stores. I swear I have a lot more buisnesses sense than a lot of the people running these big cororations.

I'm sure they make more money doing it the way they do it. Some people will pay more for online shopping convenience and not having to spend time to go to a store. Some items are in store only not because it's impossible to ship.. but because they want to force people to Also come into the store because chances are they'll buy more than just the one item they couldn't get online. It creates opportunities to sell them more stuff. And I'm sure sometimes it's the case that the suppliers sell in store only, not online, in order not to have their retailers undercutting each others' prices online driving down the price of the product etc. Lots of business reasons for on/offline shopping -> and all of them are intended to make more money.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2022, 7:31 pm

i've been boycotting amazon for a month now since they decided to make prime mandatory for many purchase items.

Vasco
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jul 2022, 5:34 am

Congratulations, welcome to the club of buying cheap stuff!

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2022, 4:47 pm

THANOS: I am inevitable.
AMAZON: No, that's us.

I avoid Amazon as much as possible buying things for myself, but our family birthdays and Christmas are kind of locked into Amazon these days. I've never had my account hacked. The main thing to watch out for is their constant attempts to trick you into signing up for Prime without realising- it's worth checking every so often to see if they've got you. Also, Amazon Marketplace sellers are appalling these days. No-one deals with misleading or fraudulent listings anymore, and they all use the same pricing algorithm leading to ridiculous swings in price. Which is great when they're selling a book I want for pennies, not so great when they decide it suddenly costs £200 now.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2022, 5:01 pm

Amazon is not cheap in australia.
We've found products at 2-3 times the price of local stores.
At best they're slightly more expensive than elswhere.

Vasco

01 Jul 2022, 5:18 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Amazon is not cheap in australia.
We've found products at 2-3 times the price of local stores.
At best they're slightly more expensive than elswhere.

I suppose WalMart does not have much of a presence in AUS.
In the US, WalMart and Amazon almost always have cutthroat price competition.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2022, 5:59 pm

We dont have walmart.
We do have costco now, but mainly in the capital cities.
I visited a costco for the first time last week, while visiting family.
The excess was excessive.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2022, 7:58 pm

There are things on Amazon that I can't find anywhere else and I don't like going into stores, so I'm also an Amazon customer.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2022, 3:19 pm

Raleigh wrote:
We dont have walmart.
We do have costco now, but mainly in the capital cities.
I visited a costco for the first time last week, while visiting family.
The excess was excessive.

lol reminds me of the time I took a friend from Wales to Costco and she was absolutely blown away at the package sizes of everything. 'tis the North American way.. buy in bulk, feed yourself and your family for less. I do Most of my shopping at Costco these days. Renewed my membership during Covid as they were the store that enforced mask wearing policies best and sanitized everything. Plus it's legit a good value for everything I buy there - lower prices, better quality. I also buy jeans there and some other things besides food - toilet paper is super cheap there.