Am I the only one who has never planned his or her life ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 11:50 am

I seem to feel bad because I didn't plan things like that guy (Steven Bartlett) did even though he said that finding a partner or having flashy car is not always achievable. I bad that I didn't drive my own car until I was 28. I to see people who are 17, 18 or 19 like my step brother who drive confidently and I seem to wonder why wasn't I confident to do it at 17 or 21 when I had manuel lessons then even though I now drive an automatic ? I remember at 17 I did driving in my dad's van once and I seemed unable to control it properly and at 21 I did it again with slightly more control and calm but still got flustered when it stalled in the middle of the road. I eventually got lessons in an automatic which seemed better for me and that is the type I drive now. I don't know if planning for things is not always an idea because what if they don't happen for some reason ?

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 12:08 pm

They probably weren't confident learning to drive at that age. My sister wasn't and neither was I but we were both poked and prodded into driving at 17. I think a lot of teens are pressured by parents to drive.

They only appear confident while driving because they passed their test and might have tens of thousands of miles under their belt. It doesn't matter what age you learn to drive, after a year anyone will look confidant at it.

Go to any industrial estate where learner drivers are and you'll see plenty of nervous 17/19 year olds.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 4:29 pm

The best laid plans of mice and men are subject to change ….. sometimes in the past often daydreamed about ideas for my future . And what might have to be accomplished in order to get to that future.
And every time something changes , might have to sit and daydream more on how to find a way to get to a future, that I dreamed about . But sometimes you might just have t make do/ be satisfied, with your best efforts . :mrgreen:

where ever you go ,there you are

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 9:33 pm

I planned getting my education, having a career, being a parent, and buying houses.

I guess that sounds like a lot but it all happened in relatively short window of time about 30 years ago.

Since then it's just been survival on a day-to-day basis.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 4:43 am

I certainly didn’t “plan my life.”

I had and have very little ambition.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 9:22 am

Planning for things could be a good or bad thing

If things don't happen as planned (plan "b" and "c" and "d")

Sometimes things don't happen as planned. That doesn't mean that planning is a bad thing

Planning versus spontaneous

Adaptable

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 6:23 pm

I didn't plan for my life at your age (except for my plan to do nothing) but my life turned out ok in the end.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2022, 11:57 am

You're not the only one. A lot of people don't plan anything in particular. And many who do plan their life goals don't end up achieving them Or life happens and their goals change - even super high achieving people like Dwayne "The Rock," Johnson. He was "supposed to be," a CFL football player.. but he didn't make the cut and felt absolutely devastated. Then he became a wrestler like his father before him, and on to become a massive acting star, and might run for President some day. In 1995 he Knew that he was going to be a football player.. that was his plan, but it didn't materialize and in 1996 he joined the WWF and the rest is history.

So, life plans and goals are only so good for so many people. I do know some people who've achieved exactly what they set out to and it's made them happy, but tbh they are an extreme minority. Everyone else is just rolling with the punches with changing goals as their experiences and values guide them, and as new and different opportunities present themselves. That's life - constant change & making the most of it the best we can. 8)