Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Not_Otherwize_Specified
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Jun 2022, 3:26 pm

Hello,

My name is Allison and I am 29 years old. I have had the intention of joining a fourm focusing on neurodiverity for years now but never got around to it. I do not have an official autism diagnosis but had been re-diagnosed as an adult for ADD as well as OCD. I'm here because I have always had difficulty communicating with most people and the older I get the less I feel like I can relate/connect with people my age. Besides feeling very different, I also have terrible anxiety from my OCD and it has been difficult keeping a job as a Medical Assistant as I have realized this job often requires intense focusing, multitasking, being detailed oriented, etc. Overall, I have a lot of doubts about my career choice, although I enjoy the social aspect of it. Anyway, I'm hoping to be able to find people I can relate to and connect with. It seems from my experience that the people who I most often get along with the best are those who also have difficulty fitting in. I'm glad to have found this website and look forward to meeting other people!

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 3:32 pm

welcome, sounds like you will fit right in. Glad you are with us!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 3:48 pm

Welcome to WP! We're glad you found this website, too.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 4:01 pm

Welcome to WP … hope you can find some good people here .. You do sound as if there maybe some similarities to what you feel and the Average Aspie experience?/ characteristics.

where ever you go ,there you are

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 6:43 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

Not_Otherwize_Specified
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Jun 2022, 8:53 pm

Thanks for the reply's. Yeah the last 2 days I have been out of work because I was exposed to someone with covid and my mom whom I live with probably has it. I actually really can't wait to get back to work because I don't like being around my mom for too long (our relationship is not great). I have been feeling especially upset/depressed lately because I just just feel so alone and frustrated with a lot of aspects of my life. I have friends thankfully but even with them I have trouble opening up to them. I hate admitting it but sometimes I feel like I still need a parent/guardian to help me keep my life together because it's just so much responsibility to handle alone. I'm thankful I can mostly manage things by my self (I can drive fine) and I'm realizing as I continue to work where my greatest strongpoints are as well as my greatest weaknesses. I'm trying to get through a book on managing life with ADD/ADHD because I know poor organization and planning are area's where I struggle most. My younger brother whom I also live with has autism and he's great but not much of a conversationalist. I'm excited to be able to speak with people who can relate to a lot of these issues. It would not surprise me if I fit the criteria for someone on the autism spectrum as well.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 6:55 am

Being a medical assistant is hard.

I commend you for sticking it out.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 7:12 am

Good luck with the MA position if in fact that is what your working towards . :D
Work towards your strengths ? .. :nerdy:

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 10:19 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet. One of the approaches that I used was I separated myself into two different lives. One at work and one at home. In a sense I was two different people. I worked so that I could earn money and then the money I earned allowed me to live a fabulous life at home.

Not_Otherwize_Specified
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jun 2022, 10:38 pm

Thanks for the replies! I'm am trying to organize my thought process and I am reading through an ADHD workbook I got from the library. I'm realizing more and that a lot of what I thought where my "limitations" are actually from the lack of self confidence I have. I don't want to completely blame the US school system for causing my poor self esteem but being in special education classes up in to the end of high school, I believe a lot of the practices that where used to assist me and other special ed kids were detrimental in the long run. My main criticism is how often I was allowed to advance further in school when, thinking back, I barely understood what I was being taught. The main subject I struggled most in was math. I remember many times where I would just stare at the probem on the paper and my mind would become preoccupied with a mixture of anxiety and frustration. The aids in the classroom (who where really nice people most of the time), would often end up doing the work for me because I would zone out in frustration. Also, we were almost always given calculators even for simple things so I never bothered to learn my times tables. I became dependent on other people doing things for me when I struggled instead of trying to approach the problems from a different angle. I just figured I was inadequate in critical thinking. Of course when I began college this did not pan out well.

Becoming a Medical Assistant definitely was not what I envisioned myself doing in HS. I spent so many years in community college changing my major and not being able to decide what to do ultimately. I eventually decided to go for Occupation therapy assistant and eventually finished the program; only to realize when I did that the program consisted of two parts and the second half of the program was to be done at another school that I could not afford to pay for. I was so angry with myself for not realizing this and spending all the time and money working to get my associates only to realize I wouldn't even get that. I decided to take a summer course to become a Home Health Aid because the course was only a few weeks long and I needed to start making money. I worked as a HHA for a few years before going back to school to become a Medical Assistant. This is my third job as a MA and I'm hoping I will be able to manage now that I have some experience. Thankfully things have been going well so far :mrgreen:

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 7:07 am

Congradulations on the new job …… good luck .. does sound like you are making progress. :D

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 9:45 am

I am glad you are making some progress.