Bill Cosby found liable for 1970s sexual battery of teenager

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 6:08 pm

Jury finds Bill Cosby liable in sexual battery case

Quote:
A Los Angeles jury found embattled comedian Bill Cosby liable in a civil case brought by Judy Huth, a woman who claimed he sexually assaulted her as a teenager in the 1970s.

The jury, comprised of eight women and four men, awarded Huth $500,000 in damages. No punitive compensation was awarded.

Huth first filed the case in 2014, claiming sexual battery and both intentional and negligent infliction of emotional distress. The original filing stated that the incident happened in 1974 when Huth was 15 years old, but the timeline was later revised to 1975, when Huth was 16.

Through his lawyers, Cosby, 84, has denied all allegations of sexual misconduct.

In her complaint, Huth told of meeting Cosby at a park where he was filming a movie. After befriending Huth and a friend, Cosby allegedly invited them to join him at his tennis club. From there, Huth alleged, the comedian invited them to a house where he served the young women multiple alcoholic drinks and then took them to the Playboy Mansion.

Huth alleged that though Cosby knew her age and that of her friend, he directed the teens "that if any of the Playboy bunnies asked their age, they should say they were 19."

Huth further claimed that Cosby took her to a bedroom in the mansion where he sexually molested her.

Huth was all smiles when she briefly spoke to reporters outside a Santa Monica courthouse.
"I was elated," she said of the verdict. "It has been so many years, so many tears."

Cosby's spokesman and attorney were loudly jeered by onlookers as they gave statements to the media.
"What happened today wasn't a victory, because they didn't get the punitive damages," said Cosby's spokesperson Andrew Wyatt, insisting that Cosby is happy with the verdict.

Cosby was not present for the trial or the verdict, and his team plans to file an appeal.

Bill Cosby Celebrates Light Penalty for Sexually Assaulting a Teenager
Quote:
Despite the civil jury ruling in Huth’s favor, a representative for Cosby reportedly told TMZ that Cosby had celebrated the outcome of the case, saying “What? That’s all? Booyah!” when learning of the verdict over the phone—the 84-year-old had apparently expected the damages to be somewhere in the millions.

Throughout the trial, Cosby’s legal team attacked Huth’s credibility because of a change in the timeline of her allegations:

Even if Cosby did, in fact, celebrate the $500,000 in damages as a win, for all intents and purposes, he’s now once again a legally recognized sexual assailant.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 22 Jun 2022, 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 6:10 pm

fu**er.

At this point, throw away the key.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 6:18 pm

I heard conflicting information. Is he out of prison? This case isn't giving him any prison time.

A key being thrown seems to be metaphorical at best. My understanding is he'll die a wealthy free man.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 12:54 am

r00tb33r wrote:
I heard conflicting information. Is he out of prison? .
My understanding is he'll die a wealthy free man.

Among the first men convicted following the #MeToo movement, Cosby's sentence has been vacated for procedural reasons
Quote:
Having served just two years of his sentence for drugging and assaulting a Temple University student in 2004, Bill Cosby has been cleared for release from prison. On Wednesday, the Pennsylvania State Supreme Court ruled to vacate the former actors’ 2018 conviction for that sexual assault, noting that an agreement with a previous prosecutor prevented Cosby from being charged in the case, according to the AP.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 1:19 am

No jail.

As with Epstein, Weinstein, Prince Andrew, Rolf Harris and Jimmy Saville there were many prominent people who either enabled their behaviour or at best kept quiet.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 1:40 am

The criminal statute of limitations for this expired a long time ago. So he couldn't have been sentenced to serve time in jail or be fined. That's why this is a civil case.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 2:14 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
The criminal statute of limitations for this expired a long time ago. So he couldn't have been sentenced to serve time in jail or be fined. That's why this is a civil case.

If we are going back to the 1970s then more than half the rockbands were abusing teenage groupies. May as well retrospectively also charge Thomas Jefferson and Elvis Presley with sexual battery of a teenager.

DavidJSNSW64
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jun 2022, 12:22 am

An arrogant wealthy man who thought he was above the law and that fame would protect him. It obviously did for a while but not anymore.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 10:27 am

DavidJSNSW64 wrote:
An arrogant wealthy man who thought he was above the law and that fame would protect him. It obviously did for a while but not anymore.

Fame did protect him for years. Remember Cosby is still venerated over his contributions to the black community and to comedy and television in general.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 4:51 pm

I caught a fragment of a radio show on NPR. The guest was a Black author talking about coming to grips with the Cosby show.

He pointed out something I...never noticed before. Hints that Cosby had been sprinkling like breadcrumbs for years.

His character, Mr. Huxtable, was a medical doctor.

But what was his specialty?

Not internist, not dentist, not dermatologists. He was a... gynecologist!

And his practice was...not in some office building...but in the basement of his own home!

Curious. As if Cosby was hiding in plain sight.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 7:50 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

But what was his specialty?

Not internist, not dentist, not dermatologists. He was a... gynecologist!

And his practice was...not in some office building...but in the basement of his own home!

Curious. As if Cosby was hiding in plain sight.

I wonder if the writers were covertly informing the audience of his predilections?

DavidJSNSW64
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jun 2022, 5:22 pm

Perhaps they should have made his character a pediatrician (although that would have been too obvious).

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 5:44 pm

DavidJSNSW64 wrote:
Perhaps they should have made his character a pediatrician (although that would have been too obvious).

No. Cosby wasnt a stereotypical Catholic priest ...who prays upon pre teen boys.

Pediatricians treat pre teen children of both genders.

Cosby's scandals involved only adult women until now. And this new scandal involves a female teen (underage but still too old for a pediatrician, but old enough for gynocologist).