Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 7:25 pm

Flies walk on poo to make their hands and feet sticky so they can walk on walls and ceilings without falling off. Genius are flies and I love them!

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 8:36 pm

Why Do Flies Like Poop? Here Are The Disgusting Reasons

Quote:
Poop smells extremely delicious to flies. This is because they feed on it. It also contains various substances like bacteria (dead and alive), fats, proteins, fiber cellulose, and minerals that are nutritious for flies. Poop also serves as a safe place for flies, like stable flies and house flies, to lay their eggs. The larvae get their food from poop only.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 8:43 pm

Flies are repulsive. I still remember how we'd have a fly problem virtually every summer when I was a teenager even though we weren't living in filth or anything, and tried just about everything to get rid of them. Screens, Raid, fly paper, but the little buggers would be crawling on me every morning and wouldn't let me sleep. Flies are not geniuses. If they were, they'd realize they might not always be vomiting if they didn't eat rotting dead carcasses and other foul things.

Oh, and I already know all about how people have been saved from gangrene because of fly maggots eating the infected muscle tissue, but I also know I don't really care, flies are still repulsive, disease spreading little beasts. Arrrrgggh!!

My brother used to tell me that when flies landed on you they were wiping their feces and vomiting onto your skin. He once told me the flies were possibly retching but they're too small for us to hear it. :eew:

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 8:45 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
Why Do Flies Like Poop? Here Are The Disgusting Reasons
Quote:
Poop smells extremely delicious to flies. This is because they feed on it. It also contains various substances like bacteria (dead and alive), fats, proteins, fiber cellulose, and minerals that are nutritious for flies. Poop also serves as a safe place for flies, like stable flies and house flies, to lay their eggs. The larvae get their food from poop only.

No wonder flies are always vomiting. :eew:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 10:11 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Flies walk on poo to make their hands and feet sticky so they can walk on walls and ceilings without falling off. Genius are flies and I love them!

I like flies, especially the bluebottles and the greenbottles. They're so beautiful.

Yes I know they walk on poop but even so.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Jun 2022, 6:09 am

What I dislike most about flies is being bit by sand-flies & horse-flies. We had a swimming pool that we used during the summer when I was a teen & the people who owned the land behind us had horses & sand-flies & horse-flies would hang around & start biting us around dusk if we were still swimming.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 8:05 am

This time of year I get tiny flies in my apartment. They're quite annoying.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 8:10 am

Trigger Warning: The following image, a fly's foot, may upset some people.

Walking upside-down requires a careful balance of adhesion and weight, and specialized trekking tools to combat the constant tug of gravity.

Each fly foot has two fat footpads that give the insect plenty of surface area with which to cling. The adhesive pads on the feet, called pulvilli, come equipped with tiny hairs that have spatula-like tips. These hairs are called setae.

Scientists once thought that the curved shape of the hairs suggested that flies used them to grip onto the ceiling. In fact, the hairs produce a glue-like substance made of sugars and oils.

Source:
 This Livescience Article 

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 8:44 am

Not a fan, but I'm too soft, so I catch any that make it into the house and release them outside. Naturally, it draws laughs and why bothers. I do that with every insect or arachnid that isn't really a house one and wants out or wouldn't survive indoors. I've had numerous pet spiders over the years.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 8:50 am

Horseflies have the ability to land in the exact center of your back where you can’t reach them.Then they bite.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 8:55 am

An old horse of mine used to stand rock solid still when he'd want me to get them off him. It was probably the only time I'd consider him well behaved. :lol: March flies are what they're called here.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 8:59 am

Misslizard wrote:
Horseflies have the ability to land in the exact center of your back where you can’t reach them.Then they bite.
I know that very well from when we went swimming. It was one of the reasons we didn't use our pool that much & dad decided to take it down cuz he hated doing the work of cleaning it.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 9:34 pm

I saw some of the buggers having a little party on a dead bird today.

I actually once watched a bunch of commercials for a bug spray called Mortien on YouTube. It's basically the Australian version of Raid or Black Flag in North America, and it has a mascot named Louie the Fly. He brags about about his own filthiness until he gets killed by the Mortein. And then the next commercial he's inexplicably alive again. I guess he's like Kenny from South Park.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 10:09 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Louie the Fly.

Ahhhhhh! I forgot about that song. Guess I'm gonna have something going around in my head today, lol.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 10:38 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I saw some of the buggers having a little party on a dead bird today.

I actually once watched a bunch of commercials for a bug spray called Mortien on YouTube. It's basically the Australian version of Raid or Black Flag in North America, and it has a mascot named Louie the Fly. He brags about about his own filthiness until he gets killed by the Mortein. And then the next commercial he's inexplicably alive again. I guess he's like Kenny from South Park.
That sounds like a very funny commercial :lol: The only Black Flag I know about is the punk band.
I find the Bug-A-Salt gun very ridiculous. I'd imagine it would be very hard to shoot a fly & then when you do the flies are falling into your food :lmao: Fly logic makes a lot more sense than human logic these days.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 3:35 am

Mountain Goat wrote:

Who told you THAT tall tale?

They do NOT walk on poo for that reason. They walk on poo because they like to eat it.

Even gecko lizards have enough "natural velcro" on their feet to walk on walls. Flies are much smaller than geckos, and have velcro like feet. So walking on ceilings is easy for them. Small critters are more suseptible to forces of adhesion than are big animals, like humans, because small critters have less mass relative to their surface area than do big animals. Thats why fly paper works. Even some mouse traps consists of just sticky sheets of plastic (no moving parts).