June - Men's mental health awareness month

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 9:36 pm

We Need to Talk About Dad's Mental Health—And Not Just During Men's Mental Health Awareness Month
June may be Men's Mental Health Awareness Month, but one father shares why we need to talk about it year-round—and what men can do to help themselves.
By Clint Edwards
Published on June 22, 2022
https://www.parents.com/health/mental/j ... ealth-too/
"
Millions of Americans live with mental illness. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, nearly one in five adults in the United States has been (or will be) diagnosed with a mental health condition. And I am one in five. I was first diagnosed in 2001, at the age of 18, and—about four years ago—I began writing openly about my struggles with anxiety, depression, and OCD. And while I was nervous to publish that first post—while I am a writer, I wasn't sure how the world would view me, as a husband and father of three kiddos, with a mortgage and career—I was surprised how well my story was received. There was an outpouring of love and support.

For the most part, it was women telling me they'd struggled with something similar, or commending me for speaking so openly about my mental illness. But then I checked my private messages. There were dozens from men that almost always started the same way, "I didn't want to post this publicly..." then they'd tell me about how they struggled with similar feelings. They also told me that my post was the first time they'd ever seen a man discuss so openly something that they struggled with every day. And I think this is exactly why men's mental health awareness is so important. It isn't discussed. There is still stigma and shame. The subject remains taboo.

But what is Men's Mental Health Awareness Month—and why is it so important? From when it falls to ways to honor men's mental health year-round, one father explains the meaning behind the month.
"

--> Linked within article:

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Office of Minority Health
Men's Health Month
https://www.minorityhealth.hhs.gov/omh/ ... x?ID=10238
"
June is Men’s Health Month, a national observance used to raise awareness about health care for men and focus on encouraging boys, men and their families to practice and implement healthy living decisions, such as exercising and eating healthy. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, men in the United States, on average, die 5 years earlier than women and die at higher rates from the three leading causes of death, heart disease, cancer and unintentional injuries. During Men’s Health Month, we encourage men to take control of their health, and for families to teach young boys healthy habits throughout childhood.

The HHS Office of Minority Health will also observe Wear Blue Day Exit Disclaimer on Friday, June 19. This day is a part of the year-round Wear BLUE® awareness campaign that was created by Men’s Health Network to raise awareness about the importance of male health and to encourage men to live longer and healthier lives.

We invite you to join us in promoting messages like OMH’s Five Plays for Men’s Health that remind men and boys that they can improve their health by seeking medical advice and taking other important steps, such as making healthy food choices, staying active, quitting smoking, getting regular checkups and taking care of their mental health.
"

"
Men’s Health Disparities

Despite our nation’s vast advances in science, public health and health care, the health status of racial and ethnic minority men continues to lag behind the general population. The links below provide information about disparities among boys and men in the United States.
"

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2022, 9:41 pm

Thanks for posting this!

BUMP