Did you go to Uni/College, what did you study?

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 11:46 pm

Technic1 wrote:
and how good are you at your subject?

Plus was it an interest or was it a chore?

I have a liberal arts degree. I made the Dean's List every semester and graduated with Latin Honors.It was both a interest and a chore.I looked up careers that I could get into with that degree and one of them was petroleum landman which is what I do now with my dad.My department chair wanted me to get a masters and a doctorate in sociology but I decided to be in business working for my dad instead.I also took quite a few psychology classes and I am very good at that.I would say its more interesting to me than modern sociology.Oh sorry did not mean to quote your post....still learning the site lol.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 3:00 am

No- I've been very avoidant re further education. Opened up for the first time ever to my care coordinator about it on Wednesday It's something I've mentioned online several times, but never to a mental health professional. She said it was a trauma response to the severe verbal bullying , and that CBT or EMDR could help. I've never seen it as being trauma related, probably because I think of trauma as a physical and/or sexual abuse thing.

I should've opened about it much earlier, but never felt able to do so. That the kind of thing that happens if you're treated like a nuisance for knowing you need more help and asking for it, or you mention things that constantly get ignored or dismissed.

At 65 it's all too late anyway. People tend to think you're a dumb f*** if you don't have a degree. It's BS,but many are incapable of realising that . My parents are/were very intelligent but both for differing reasons chose not to go to university . It didn't stop my father having a respectable career with the Foreign office. Retiring as the diplomatic equivalent of a major general. My mother also worked at the F.O until she married my father,she was quite highly regarded.

Last edited by firemonkey on 24 Jun 2022, 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 3:27 am

I did a couple of years of Criminal Justice to get a better position in things, but I left when I couldn't handle being around people any longer in a classroom environment, as it wasn't an interest (almost no schooling is an interest for me). Me no good with groups of people. I'm one of those listens to people talking and remembers deal, so long distance learning wasn't my thing back then either; it'd be different today since there'd be video lectures available, but I have no interest.

Didn't really matter that I left, because life went downhill hard not long after anyway.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 5:39 am

Vocational training, Automotive Service Technician.

Associate of Arts with a primary focus on math and science, and a secondary focus on psychology and behavior.

30 credits towards an Associate of Sciences in CyberSecurity.

Bachelor of Applied Sciences in Organizational Behavior and General Business.

A few weeks from completing my Master of Business Administration.

In a couple of years, I plan to return to grad school for a Doctor of Business Administration.

I am good at what I do, both academically, and in practice. It is not always easy, but it is always interesting.

NumbGummyGums
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jun 2022, 2:32 pm

Yes, community college nothing fancy and computer science currently unemployed graduated a couple of months before Rona.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 2:44 pm

I did political science.

I didn't really plan to go to university to be honest. I just sort of ended up there. I was quite good at it without putting in too much effort but the qualification didn't really mean much to me at the time.

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Jun 2022, 8:03 pm

firemonkey wrote:
No- I've been very avoidant re further education. Opened up for the first time ever to my care coordinator about it on Wednesday It's something I've mentioned online several times, but never to a mental health professional. She said it was a trauma response to the severe verbal bullying , and that CBT or EMDR could help. I've never seen it as being trauma related, probably because I think of trauma as a physical and/or sexual abuse thing.

I should've opened about it much earlier, but never felt able to do so. That the kind of thing that happens if you're treated like a nuisance for knowing you need more help and asking for it, or you mention things that constantly get ignored or dismissed.

At 65 it's all too late anyway. People tend to think you're a dumb f*** if you don't have a degree. It's BS,but many are incapable of realising that . My parents are/were very intelligent but both for differing reasons chose not to go to university . It didn't stop my father having a respectable career with the Foreign office. Retiring as the diplomatic equivalent of a major general. My mother also worked at the F.O until she married my father,she was quite highly regarded.

I agree it is ridiculous to think that just because one does not have a degree that they are not intelligent. Not all are afforded the same ability to get further education for various reasons, which does not remotely equate to being unintelligent, merely means you haven't been given the means to further learn via college courses.

Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 8:24 pm

Architecture.

Bachelor's from Sweden's top 2 university (the top 1 doesn't have an architecture program).
Master's at a famous private university in London.

I've won a few awards during my career so far but right now I'm struggling to be a good husband and dad rather than a successful architect.

It's kind of a grind rather than an interest but I'm fine with that.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 1:00 am

No i didn't, nearly agriculture sciences /engeneer(ing) but the floor of that plan disappeared when i didn't agree upon the eu-planned economy plan, among other things, another part is was selfdestruction before the unknown.
--

European Union (chicken) dumping starves Africa --or the horrible export- subventions--EU "plans to dump" milk, butter in Africa afrol News, 20 November - Fair trade organisations warn against newly increased European Union (EU) quotas for milk production and continued high export subsidies, which will lead to increased milk and butter dumping on world markets. EU dairy products already dominate the African market. -- also within eu, dutch pigs for italian ham, some money collecting going on, french milk for italian cheese() the parmalat scandal: Europe's ten-billion euro black hole/ and the big agro-alimentary busns , etc

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 3:57 am

Lady Strange wrote:
firemonkey wrote:

I agree it is ridiculous to think that just because one does not have a degree that they are not intelligent. Not all are afforded the same ability to get further education for various reasons, which does not remotely equate to being unintelligent, merely means you haven't been given the means to further learn via college courses.

I lacked, and probably still do, the non academic, independent living skills to cope with college/university. I have scores listed here and here. They are from 'high range ' IQ tests. Contrary to what is said, not all non proctored tests give you a score designed to flatter you. These are not my best scores , but are ones through tests created and /or normed by a psychometrician.

Those aren't top notch scores, but they are respectable scores.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 8:31 am

I sorta think I'm reasonably smart, and I have a terrible education record. Whilst I'm self-effacing most of the time, I do know this is probably true to some extent, as enough people have told me such. No idea on my IQ, other than "very high". I think my memory is more important than that for me, though.

Always remember the accomplishment fallacy. I've picked up multiple errors over the years by professionals with degrees on their walls (I remember things I've read). Ones that could have had negative effects. I like being corrected all the same.

I have certificates and qualifications, though. :P

ThisTimelessMoment
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jun 2022, 12:25 pm

Straight out of school I went to study electrical engineering (focus on light current). Managed to stick it out for two of the three years before I had a breakdown and dropped out. I'd done reasonably well at school without any effort. That methodology didn't translate to tertiary education.
I had no way of asking for help. Couldn't cope with the social aspects at all. Also had f**king terrible maths lecturers!! Seriously bad. People with NO interest in their own subject.
Anyway, I've always felt useless for not getting some piece of paper. But I am beginning to realise how useless the paper is. And I do know many well educated, degreed morons!

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 5:25 pm

Did you go to Uni/College

Yes

what did you study?

Computer Science

and how good are you at your subject?

I was very good at Computer Science

The other courses they required me to take were sometimes more of an effort, though the school was, at the time, on the Quarter system (the school year was three 3-month quarters rather than two longer semesters). I think being on the Quarter system helped me because I could have fewer classes going on concurrently at any given time.

Plus was it an interest or was it a chore?

It was definitely an interest when I was in college. As much as possible I took Computer Science classes...even for my free electives.

It then became careers!

And now comfortable retirement.