Did you go to Uni/College, what did you study?

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jun 2022, 7:42 am

and how good are you at your subject?

Plus was it an interest or was it a chore?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 7:58 am

Technic1 wrote:
Did you go to Uni/College?
Yes.
Technic1 wrote:
what did you study?
Electrical Engineering.
Technic1 wrote:
and how good are you at your subject?
Well enough to graduate near the top of my class without being salutatorian or valedictorian.
Technic1 wrote:
Plus was it an interest or was it a chore?
Both, actually -- an interesting chore.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 8:01 am

I graduate college, at age 45, with a BA in English and Speech Pathology. I fully double-majored, and also had a minor in Education.

I received an award for having the top GPA in the (Speech Pathology) major. I graduated Magna cum laude.

I feel like I'm pretty good in English, but probably not so great as a potential speech pathologist. I haven't, as of yet, used my degree in any practical sense.

It was an interest. I did not enjoy writing papers, though.

PheonixDove
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Jun 2022, 10:53 am

I studied Mechanical Engineering at university.

I would say that I was good at some sides of it, such as mathematics (and generally things where you are either right or wrong, as opposed to topics and projects that are more open-ended or demand a great deal of creativity). Struggled with group projects.

Essentially I chose to study it because I'm reasonably good at mathematics and other "technical" subjects, and engineering seemed like a fun career to use those skills in that also has decent job prospects. Although, I sometimes wish I had just studied pure Mathematics, as this on paper would probably be my strongest subject.

Nic na Mara
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jun 2022, 11:29 am

I studied Experimental Physics and Engineering at an University of Applied Science because of my interest in nature science and technology. But the conditions of study were quite bad, so I had to motivate myself every semester again to bring it done. My grades were good enough and my interest is still there, but the fun of studying was gone very fast. We have bad education system in Germany. I don't wanna study anymore, means have to go to university or college. I wanna study nature science and technology, means I learn on my way of live the important useful things I need to spend my part for nature- and environmental protecting.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 12:13 pm

I lived and studied at universities for over a decade of my life. It was there where I earned a doctorate in synthetic chemistry, with expertise in molecular design and characterization. During my grad school years, I created thirty new compounds that had not been previously reported in the scientific literature (they are in my long, boring dissertation).

Due to extenuating circumstances with my unethical research adviser, I did the research work of two Ph.D.s to earn my degree. Most grad students would not have the abilities to do that under the time limit I was under. I designed my successful research project without his help or funding. Not many can say that. Very few grad students can stand on their own without any real guidance. I had to.

Did I have the highest GPA of my class? Absolutely not. There were people with 4.0s in my class. Did l learn the most while there? Yes, I still use what I learned. Some of the 4.0s later mentally cracked when they failed on the job. Being battle hardened made me ready to face problems head on.

Finding new research topics is very easy for me, as I have a creative inventor side. I can look at the scientific literature and “see” many new directions one could take with a research project. Many of my coworkers with an equivalent degree simply cannot do that. Those that can have to put in much effort to get any real results. I also have the ability to combine nanotechnology into new uses with my designs.

As for my earlier degrees, I had completed half of an nuclear engineering degree as an undergrad before deciding to focus solely upon chemistry. Being a duel major was fun, but I just could not afford both. Neither program knew what to do with me, as they did not get along. By picking one, it made my path easier to finish in my goal timeline. I graduated with minors in physics, math and history. History was just for fun, as I would take those classes to blow off stress.

The OP asked: is it a chore? Not really. It is something that I do naturally. That makes a big difference. I can absorb large volumes of data much like eating a sandwich and develop new things with the results. It is more fun than being a chore to me.

orbweaver
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jun 2022, 3:28 pm

Graphic design and animation, I only have an AA degree, and I ended up doing the former but not the latter. I have done a lot of non-college-based professional training and a lot of self teaching. I've never had enough support for long enough to manage to do more formal education.

I wanted to be a medical illustrator for a long time, and went back to school as pre-med for a while.

ASD (dx. 2004, Asperger's Syndrome) + ADHD

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 3:29 pm

I am still a college student and am pursuing a Bachelor's Degree in English for
a potential career in journalism.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 4:20 pm

I went to the University library once for some esoteric information on ball bearings. The public library and periodicals had the rest of the information on efficiency I needed. On my next visit to the U, I was lecturing to graduating engineers. I had a one-day course in composite structures that I paid for. Later, I was sent for a week-long advanced course. I had to pay attention for one afternoon, covering paperwork. Now I have a new interest and it is also not taught at University.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 4:33 pm

I stayed on an extra year at school and took a course in childcare.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 5:05 pm

I studied Electrical Engineering at a top U.S. university.

I was middle of my class due to managing a myriad of life demands all at once. I did not know I was Autistic, but in retrospect I got accommodations (e.g. test retake in quiet room, extra time on project) with tears and begging. My self-confidence was crushed.

Since I felt unwelcome in EE as a woman, I considered a "softer" engineering major. Ultimately I stuck with EE as was closest to my interests; it was a chore as a minority of a minority, in poverty and undiagnosed. I did it.

May it be easier for others.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 5:55 pm

Q: Did you go to University?

A: Yes.

Q: What did you study?

A: Digital Media Production.

Q: How good are you at your subject?

A: My subject covered a wide variety of areas. I'm good at illustration and branding. My directing and photography skills are somewhat good, not professional but decent enough. I understand the basics of code such as HTML5 and CSS. However, I definitely struggled with 3D animation. CAD / Digital 3D Modelling was an absolute pain and I do respect people who have the patience for it but I lack such patience.

Q: Was it an interest or a chore?

A: Certain topics were a chore and some were an interest. The course was quite a popular option for people who wanted to work in IT and Art but weren't quite sure where to focus their skills. I am glad that I did the course since it allowed me to try out different areas and figure out what I wanted to do and what I didn't want to do. Definitely hated photography theory and disliked 3D Modelling. I liked UI and graphic design. Screenwriting was fun. I am unlikely to direct any more short films, but it is nice to be able to geek out about cuts and transitions when I'm watching TV or a film.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 6:05 pm

^^ I once ran a 16 mm film projector several times. It was quite a while before I could watch a film again without focussing on the framing, which I'd had to adjust as the projector ran.

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Jun 2022, 6:13 pm

I did a little, got an AA in liberal arts because I didn't really know what I wanted to do. Also, couldn't really handle going away to college (now I know probably due to problems with the autism) and did ok grade wise but never fit in good. It was hard for me to transition from high school (familiar) to college and kind of went into a mini depression over it. I did like the history classes a lot.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 6:21 pm

"A professional is someone who can do good work when they don't feel like it."
A good student is someone who can effectively study something they are not interested in. Sometimes, the reason to learn it has just not become clear, but sometimes it is just a "requirement" intended to produce a well-rounded education, or just to keep some dud faculty busy.
I never learned to study well, but easily absorbed information and had my own ways to organize it if it looked useful. I think that the main value of school is to learn to work with a wide variety of degrees of sanity and talent.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 6:50 pm

structural engineering, flunked out, Bachelor program, got up to: moment area method, Mohr's stress circle

school gave me a choice of either not going there anymore or changing majors

changed majors to cognitive science. 2.19/4, gpa. took 6 years and summers

neuroscience/computer programming, was a chore and i was not good @ it

psychology kind of interesting

Associate degree, accounting, 3.25gpa/4, much easier than cognitive science or structural engineering, but i was not good at accounting, and not interested in it

three unpaid internships in accounting, lasting one year total

tried for a long time to get a paying accounting job. a couple job interviews. zero offers.

now working retail. Lot Attendant. pushing shopping carts and loading merchandise. 39 years old.