Social vs Logical, is it true that it is and either/or?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jun 2022, 8:34 am

I have heard that an aspergers person can think either logically or socially-is it true/what do you know about this?

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 9:02 am

Technic1 wrote:
aspergers person can think either logically or socially

Doesn't everybody, what other ways to think are there?
And the thinking most likely varies on the logical/mixed/social scale from time to time or topic to topic.

Quote:
what do you know about this?

Thanks to ME/CFS brain fog this morning, my memory isn't fully accessible right now.

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jun 2022, 9:45 am

I don't think "being logical" means being good at logics. People often just say things without really being that formal in their use of terminology.
I am not even sure that they know what they refer to by "being logical".

What does " we are logical people" even refer to?
To me personaly, it's just another way of saying that some things don't come naturally to us in eg. social situations. Sure, everyone needs training but our skills are probably more explicit rather than implicit. Read more on that.

Forget about the term logics for now. It will only complicate stuff.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/artic ... ne.0181159
"1.3. Learning and social skills training groups

There are two ways of learning: explicit and implicit [16,17].

Explicit learning (or “by instruction”) is learning that is instituted explicitly with teaching, rules, and methods through steps aimed at acquiring knowledge. It often requires costly efforts in terms of concentration and motivation [17].

Implicit learning is primarily used when exploring the environment, social activities, and games. From a cognitive perspective, implicit learning is not costly [17]. This type of learning is “the ability to learn without thinking about it."

The big question is: can people with ASC learn social skills implicitly?
What I do know is that adult focus more on learning explicitly than children.
What I do know is that logics, syllogism and other kinds of things used in logic, isn't something that aspies should be better at it than NTs.
Some of us probably study logics and try to use it in order to analyse social situations. It ussually doesn't work that well. We're also too emoional in order to be solely logical. This is why other methods than using logical arguments are also used in rhetorics.
What do you think?

I've been told that teaching by exposing a person to an environment won't work that well for people with ASC as with people with NT.