where ever you go ,there you are

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 7:23 pm

Jakki wrote:
Hey Isabella Congradulations on future retirement ….! ! ! ! :D :D :heart:

Thank you!
I remember reading my retirement date 30 June 2022 about 30 years ago, and trying to imagine what my life would be like at this age. I couldn't even picture that I'd live this long.

Turns out I don't feel like I'm any different, any older, any wiser, or any richer than I was then.

At least I'm alive! :) Knock wood.

I figured I should grab my pension while it still exists.
Who knows how this economy will turn in the future.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 9:38 pm

I agree that people shouldn’t waste gas/money, especially if they have very little money. I do drive/ride for more than just essential trips, but I can manage the expense. I drive a small car and ride a motorcycle - neither takes a lot of gas.. but it’s still expensive. $21 in gas in my car per 100km/60miles, $15 on the motorcycle. I do plan trips and run errands efficiently etc.

We’re not even flying anywhere. My father isn’t going to live very much longer and wants to take one last trip - a 2 week Alaskan cruise; Vancouver to Seward, then back to Vancouver again.

Also, most Canadians live near the US border. We used to just be able to use our drivers licences for ID there but the USA changer their laws and requires passports or enhanced drivers licences with rfid chips.

Government services do not require passports to access. I have never heard of that. Many people on social assistance (welfare) or disability do not have passports. Passports Are an excellent well accepted piece of ID, but they’re no required.

Drivers licences have addresses on them. BC Services Cards (provincial health card) do not. Yes, there is a such thing as Provincial ID. Here in BC it’s called “a BCID card” and has photo and address like a drivers licence and is issued at the same places you go to get drivers licences. Many young people, poor people, and people who simply don’t drive have them.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Jun 2022, 10:00 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
We’re not even flying anywhere. My father isn’t going to live very much longer and wants to take one last trip - a 2 week Alaskan cruise; Vancouver to Seward, then back to Vancouver again.
I didn't know passports were required for cruises. I've worked with someone who talked about buying restricted meds while he was on cruises like bringing back Ambian & narcotics :mrgreen: so I didn't think there was really much of customs procedures but it makes sense that passports would be required to book & board. I hope your able to get your passports without too much more hassle & able to go & have a great time.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 10:05 pm

Social assistance and disability (welfare) are provincial. I was referring to some programs through the feds.

I’ve never heard of provincial ID but that’s cool if BC has it. I lost my DL for four years because of stroke and was never offered provincial ID as a replacement. I guess all provinces and territories are different.

I hope you get your passport and can enjoy a well deserved cruise with your dad. My grandmother did an Alaskan cruise and I still remember her beautiful photos (actually, slides.)

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 5:09 am

We're experiencing similar problems in Australia. Now that borders have opened up again there's a lot of pent up demand for international (and domestic) travel, which has caused huge delays for people who need to renew their passports. The government have had to hire and train more people to process the additional passport applications and answer queries at call centres.

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 9:07 am

goldfish21 wrote:
magz wrote:
Crazy, indeed.

Reminds me - I should update my passport, too. SHTF seems unlikely now but maybe some sudden opportunity for travel appears.

Some woman on my brother's FB posted and said they never expected everyone to apply at once.. lol umm wut ? :? WTF did they think was gonna happen when travel wasn't allowed for ~3 years and a lot of passports expired and then all of the sudden it's allowed again and ppl wanna travel ??????? Only the federal government couldn't have seen this coming. :wall:

Maybe they thought that people would think ahead and have passports ready once they can travel? That's what I did; I got myself a new passport along with a new identification card in the spring of last year. There was a few month wait for a free appointment slot, but since I was on the move in time before having any actual plans, that wasn't a problem.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 10:03 am

Fireblossom wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
magz wrote:
Crazy, indeed.

Reminds me - I should update my passport, too. SHTF seems unlikely now but maybe some sudden opportunity for travel appears.

Some woman on my brother's FB posted and said they never expected everyone to apply at once.. lol umm wut ? :? WTF did they think was gonna happen when travel wasn't allowed for ~3 years and a lot of passports expired and then all of the sudden it's allowed again and ppl wanna travel ??????? Only the federal government couldn't have seen this coming. :wall:

Maybe they thought that people would think ahead and have passports ready once they can travel? That's what I did; I got myself a new passport along with a new identification card in the spring of last year. There was a few month wait for a free appointment slot, but since I was on the move in time before having any actual plans, that wasn't a problem.

Why would they think people would pay for something they couldn't use yet and didn't know when they could ? :? Makes no sense to pay for something that's potentially only good for 5 years and then have 20% or 40% of it's value wasted if you can't use it for a year or two after it's issued. Makes complete sense why people waited and the government should have foreseen it - especially as passports expired and people weren't renewing them in typical numbers.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 10:06 am

nick007 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
I didn't know passports were required for cruises. I've worked with someone who talked about buying restricted meds while he was on cruises like bringing back Ambian & narcotics :mrgreen: so I didn't think there was really much of customs procedures but it makes sense that passports would be required to book & board. I hope your able to get your passports without too much more hassle & able to go & have a great time.

I haven't bothered to lookup the details but apparently sea crossings into the USA can technically be done via an enhanced drivers licence or NEXUS pass (I don't have either of those, anyways) but it's the *cruise line* that has a requirement for passports. So, even those in our party that have NEXUS still have to get passports to satisfy the cruise line and be allowed to board. My guess is that they do this for consistency vs. having different rules for Canadians and Americans vs. all other nationalities boarding their ships.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 3:50 pm

F.

There are no appointments available in BC or Alberta or Manitoba.. the only place with available appointments that would be early enough to get an expedited passport are in Saskatoon.. and of course there are no inexpensive flights there, and the cheapest ones available don't allow for early morning travel and evening return the same day. So, if I go there I'd have to fly there and stay for a few days then fly back.. which would cost probably around $1500 or so in addition to the cost of getting an expedited passport.

I'm waiting for a phone call back from my neighbour for her advice as her daughter just navigated the process. There MIGHT be a way to do it locally - maybe.

My brother is still in the middle of trying to get his for his family's trip in less than 2 weeks.. was supposed to be processed already as they claim they're on pace for their promised delivery times - which is a lie. He sent them all original ID documents as required, too.. so doesn't have them to re-apply elsewhere and has to scramble via various government agencies to get new ID documents issued so he can use them to apply for emergency level urgent passports. He's pissed and filing formal complaints. He's familiar with the workings of the federal government due to his job in a different agency and figures this is all BS; Passport Canada should be working overtime/around the clock with additional staff from other agencies in order to clear the backlog vs. this complete and utter chaos.

Still not sure what I'm gonna do just yet besides freak the F out. About to take a quick drive down to the local Service Canada office to see if I can talk to someone at the front desk and at least get some answers about the process/best steps I can take to try to get this completed. There is a chance I might have to wait in line for 3 days straight OR pay my cousin to do so for me and then once given an idea of actual wait time go pop in line myself. Nucking Futs!

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 4:44 pm

There's a huge backlog here too, but I emailed the passport office my flight dates and they sent it the next day. I applied at the start of may so it took about 7 weeks.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 4:55 pm

I might fly to Edmonton early one morning and just get in line outside and see if I can get seen same day.

Checking the gov't website they've began posting in person line-up wait times 3x daily. Thing is, the Edmonton office showed a 5 hour wait time this morning and 2h 45 mins this afternoon -> possibly realistic. The office closest to me showed a 0 minute wait time at Noon, which has to be BS because my brother was there and there were people waiting for 3 days. Then the next closest office downtown Vancouver claimed to have a 2 hour wait time.. but that can't be right -> Vancouver and surrounding areas have extremely high demand for passports because there are so many dual citizens/people with money resulting in massive pent up demand for passports and travel. I'm not really sure what my best course of action is tbh - but I Might just call family in Edmonton and see if they can even rip by the place and find out for me.. ? :? Wild.

Anyone here live in Edmonton that can check ?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 4:55 pm

Raleigh wrote:
There's a huge backlog here too, but I emailed the passport office my flight dates and they sent it the next day. I applied at the start of may so it took about 7 weeks.

That's a good point.

My daughter gave her flight dates too, when she did it in the spring.
She had to attach proof because I guess a lot of people could lie.

I don't know if that would help Goldfish though.
It seems like things are totally out of control now, especially in BC.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 4:58 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
F.

There are no appointments available in BC or Alberta or Manitoba.. the only place with available appointments that would be early enough to get an expedited passport are in Saskatoon.. and of course there are no inexpensive flights there, and the cheapest ones available don't allow for early morning travel and evening return the same day.

I was going to say, send me your stuff on Purolator and I'll try to do it for you.
Then I realised it doesn't work that way LMAO.
I have a feeling I don't look like you.

Did you already do your passport photo? (Or maybe you don't need one if it's a renewal?)

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 5:12 pm

:idea:

Maybe I'll..

Book an appointment in Saskatoon
Take a cheap flight to Edmonton early morning the day before
Wait in line in Edmonton early AM to see if I can get seen there in person
If I don't get in by 4pm, rent a car & drive to Saskatoon (525km) to be able to attend the appointment the next day
Then drive the rental car back to Deadmonton, return it, then hit the airport for a cheapie cheap standby flight back to Vansterdam

This is an actual plan A and plan B that could actually work..

Projected cost for flights, rental car, fuel approx $700. Hmmmmmmm. I have to give this some very serious thought over this weekend and see if that's my best course of action. It may be. And If I'm able to get it in Edmonton it'll reduce the cost by $500 or so. Hmmmmm.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 5:14 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
:idea:

Maybe I'll..

Book an appointment in Saskatoon
Take a cheap flight to Edmonton early morning the day before
Wait in line in Edmonton early AM to see if I can get seen there in person
If I don't get in by 4pm, rent a car & drive to Saskatoon (525km) to be able to attend the appointment the next day
Then drive the rental car back to Deadmonton, return it, then hit the airport for a cheapie cheap standby flight back to Vansterdam

This is an actual plan A and plan B that could actually work..

Projected cost for flights, rental car, fuel approx $700. Hmmmmmmm. I have to give this some very serious thought over this weekend and see if that's my best course of action. It may be. And If I'm able to get it in Edmonton it'll reduce the cost by $500 or so. Hmmmmm.

This is all insane.
Is this chaos being covered in the media?

My cousin used to have a job working from home making people's birth certificates and passports.
I don't understand why they can't hire people or bring them out of retirement to work from home.
But then again, it's the feds so I do understand ...