US Senate Advances Gun Safety Bill & Overcomes Filibuster

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2022, 3:38 pm

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3534316-senate-advances-gun-safety-bill-overcoming-filibuster/

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Jun 2022, 4:17 pm

Wow. Very surprised. I'm not entirely convinced that the measures are good ideas, or that they will satisfy gun control advocates, but if nothing else it's good to see a little bit of bipartisanship for a change.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 1:10 am

The House had their own too, but either one has to pass in both chambers... Then signed by the president or passed on congressional override, for which they don't have enough votes yet.
Biden could just as easily declare the bill insufficient and toss it in the trash.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 4:02 am

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:

Will 18 year olds still be able to buy bolt action rifles from FFLs?

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 4:20 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

From what I read, yes, they can still buy any firearm. Who knows what "enhanced" background check really means. I think it means exactly nothing because there's very little data available on young persons anyway. This is probably why the Republican voted for it.

Seems it passed the house.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 6:39 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

From what I read, yes, they can still buy any firearm. Who knows what "enhanced" background check really means. I think it means exactly nothing because there's very little data available on young persons anyway. This is probably why the Republican voted for it.

I wonder if a 19 year old will still be able get a pre-1986 full auto AK-47 if they can pass the ATF red tape and the have 40,000 dollars to buy one with.But I was watching some lawyers and it seemss like they will still be able to get AR-15s but maybe not M16s since the M16 is a NFA Item.I doubt things will change much here in Texas because we prolly wont get red flag laws anytime soon.The lTexas lege is very opposed to them so I dont think they would take the funding for them.But I do applaud the efforts to increase mental health funding.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 6:46 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

I wonder if a 19 year old will still be able get a pre-1986 full auto AK-47 if they can pass the ATF red tape and the have 40,000 dollars to buy one with.But I was watching some lawyers and it seemss like they will still be able to get AR-15s but maybe not M16s since the M16 is a NFA Item.I doubt things will change much here in Texas because we prolly wont get red flag laws anytime soon.The lTexas lege is very opposed to them so I dont think they would take the funding for them.But I do applaud the efforts to increase mental health funding.

Title 2 NFA items have never really been a problem when legally acquired. People who get that transfer either don't break laws, or don't break laws while using that type of firearm. There was only like 4 or 5 cases of that since 1934.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 7:28 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

Title 2 NFA items have never really been a problem when legally acquired. People who get that transfer either don't break laws, or don't break laws while using that type of firearm. There was only like 4 or 5 cases of that since 1934.

Oh it seem like the hard left would of closed that for 20 year olds even if it was not a big factor in crime because M16s are more dangerous than a semi-auto AR-15 or AK-47.NFA Items are the true assault rifles so i would think that democrats would want to keep them from buying them.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 1:33 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

Oh it seem like the hard left would of closed that for 20 year olds even if it was not a big factor in crime because M16s are more dangerous than a semi-auto AR-15 or AK-47.NFA Items are the true assault rifles so i would think that democrats would want to keep them from buying them.

They have something more sinister in mind. What they really want is to equate the AR-15 to the M-16 by repeating the words "assault rifle" until it comes true. It's like a magic spell or something that they chant. Luckily it won't work anytime soon.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 11:25 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

How many of those exist compared to how many AR-15s? It seems like a waste of effort to concentrate effort on what amounts to a few hundred items tops that are treated like very expensive collectibles when there's exponentially more AR-15s that are infinitely easier to acquire for most people.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 8:58 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

How many of those exist compared to how many AR-15s? It seems like a waste of effort to concentrate effort on what amounts to a few hundred items tops that are treated like very expensive collectibles when there's exponentially more AR-15s that are infinitely easier to acquire for most people.

I would say Texas has at least 10,000 to 100,000 true assault rifles alone in civilian hands .Texas has about a million NFA items alone I have no idea on how many of those are assault rifles. .22 LR kill more people in America than a a AR-15 5.56 NATO I would be willing to bet but the .45 ACP is bigger threat than AR-15 for homicides.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 9:07 pm

Even if a very modest bill ends up getting passed, it will make me feel a little better about our sad state of affairs to see that some level of bipartisanship is still possible. The conservative podcast I listen to thinks it will happen.