Page 15 of 60 [ 956 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 60  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 1:34 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
I think the protestors should break into the justices' homes and ransack them.

I'm not really sure what that specific act would accomplish. Violence that removes one or more of them from the bench accomplishes something, what you describe doesn't.

For me, it's gone way past abortion now. Now I want chaos for the sake of chaos in all of the red states.

Nearly every Republican runs for public office vowing to be "tough on crime", and stating the party is the "law and order" party.

"Tough on crime" = tough on black/brown people, strictly enforcing xenophobic immigration policies, continuing the War on Blacks--er, Drugs, strict enforcement of what is basically the evangelical Christian equivalent of Sharia law.

"Law and order" = state budgets spent almost entirely on law enforcement (basically state-sponsored terrorism, no different than the Gestapo or the Saudi Religious Police) and prisons.

Personally I feel that violence should be avoided as much as possible and minimized as much as possible when it can't be avoided. Ransacking their homes would place all of the non-violent protesters at risk, both from legal repercussions and directly from the police response.

Any use of force at their homes would place the people who organized protests at risk, therefore any use of force would best be done away from their homes. Random acts of violence that don't accomplish any specific goals really wouldn't help; it's quite possible that any significant acts of violence might carry greater costs than benefits but in particular ones that don't accomplish substantial goals would be a waste of effort.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 1:52 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
I think the protestors should break into the justices' homes and ransack them.

I'm not really sure what that specific act would accomplish. Violence that removes one or more of them from the bench accomplishes something, what you describe doesn't.

For me, it's gone way past abortion now. Now I want chaos for the sake of chaos in all of the red states.

Nearly every Republican runs for public office vowing to be "tough on crime", and stating the party is the "law and order" party.

"Tough on crime" = tough on black/brown people, strictly enforcing xenophobic immigration policies, continuing the War on Blacks--er, Drugs, strict enforcement of what is basically the evangelical Christian equivalent of Sharia law.

"Law and order" = state budgets spent almost entirely on law enforcement (basically state-sponsored terrorism, no different than the Gestapo or the Saudi Religious Police) and prisons.

Personally I feel that violence should be avoided as much as possible and minimized as much as possible when it can't be avoided. Ransacking their homes would place all of the non-violent protesters at risk, both from legal repercussions and directly from the police response.

Any use of force at their homes would place the people who organized protests at risk, therefore any use of force would best be done away from their homes. Random acts of violence that don't accomplish any specific goals really wouldn't help; it's quite possible that any significant acts of violence might carry greater costs than benefits but in particular ones that don't accomplish substantial goals would be a waste of effort.

If I were arrested, I would blame the cop.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 1:56 pm

How about throwing used condoms on their lawns?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 1:57 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

I'd blame a lack of proper planning. The cop is doing their duty, you're the one with the duty to ensure you're able to remove yourself after the action. It sounds immature to shift that responsibility on to others, but especially a party who's actually obliged to work against your goals.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 2:01 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wikiho ... se%3famp=1

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 2:01 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Brilliant post, aghogday.

Thank you for sharing. :heart:

Always A Pleasure Dear Isabella
And Indeed i Enjoy Reading
All of Your Posts With SMiLes..:)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 2:35 pm

Chief Justice John Roberts says Supreme Court went too far in taking the 'dramatic step' of overturning Roe v. Wade

Quote:
Chief Justice John Roberts made it abundantly clear that he felt the Supreme Court's five other conservative justices went too far in their decision on Friday to overturn Roe v. Wade and end a federal right to an abortion.

"The Court's decision to overrule Roe and Casey is a serious jolt to the legal system—regardless of how you view those cases," Roberts wrote in his concurring opinion, released on Friday along with the majority opinion. "A narrower decision rejecting the misguided viability line would be markedly less unsettling, and nothing more is needed to decide this case."

Roberts' view, though, became largely moot in the face of the bloc of other Republican-appointed justices, including President Donald Trump's three picks, Justices Neil Gorsuch, Brett Kavanaugh, and Amy Coney Barrett.

Roberts has long cut a reputation as a justice who would prefer that the court more directly address the questions before it as opposed to authoring sweeping opinions that go down in the history books. It has long been thought that this principle animated his decision to preserve the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010, better known as Obamacare, in the 2012 ruling that protected President Barack Obama's signature domestic achievement.

Roberts made clear in his concurring opinion that he would have upheld Mississippi's near-complete ban on abortions after 15 weeks of pregnancy — the law at the center of the case decided on Friday — but he stressed that overturning Roe and the 1992 decision in Planned Parenthood v. Casey would have profound effects. Roberts called such an action a "dramatic step" that Mississippi did not want the court to take. (The state changed its view of the case after Barrett was confirmed to the court.)

"Both the Court's opinion and the dissent display a relentless freedom from doubt on the legal issue that I cannot share," Roberts wrote. "I am not sure, for example, that a ban on terminating a pregnancy from the moment of conception must be treated the same under the Constitution as a ban after fifteen weeks."

Roberts' preferred decision would still have significantly curtailed abortion rights. Upholding Mississippi's law without overturning Roe would have limited the concept of fetal viability that the court made the center of its ruling in Casey. Roberts said he agreed that the court erred in its original decision in Roe, but he added that the justices did not need to gut the decision "all the way down to the studs."

Not the Roberts court anymore.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 6:31 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

I'd blame a lack of proper planning. The cop is doing their duty, you're the one with the duty to ensure you're able to remove yourself after the action. It sounds immature to shift that responsibility on to others, but especially a party who's actually obliged to work against your goals.

Long story short: I really, really, really hate cops.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 6:36 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Long story short: I really, really, really hate cops.

Could I have the long version?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 6:51 pm

Biden doesn't support expanding the Supreme Court, White House says

Quote:
President Joe Biden remains unmoved on the issue of court expansion, the White House said, despite his criticism of the Supreme Court rulings handed down this week on gun rights and abortion.

"That is something that the president does not agree with," White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre told reporters aboard Air Force One on Saturday when asked about such a reform. "That is not something that he wants to do."

Democrats and activists are floating the idea after the high court expanded gun rights and did away with 50 years of precedent to overturn Roe v. Wade.

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York, Rep. Ilhan Omar of Minnesota, Sen. Ed Markey of Massachusetts and others expressly called for expanding the court in the wake of the decision on abortion access.

New York City Mayor Eric Adams said court expansion is "critical."

"We need to balance out this court before they do more harm than what they've done thus far," Adams said at a press conference on Friday, where he said he wouldn't have become the city's leader if his former partner didn't get an abortion when they were in their teens.

Biden has never expressed great interest in expanding the high court, even when many of his opponents in the 2020 Democratic primary for president were supportive of the reform.

After he was elected, Biden appointed a 36-member bipartisan commission to study potential changes to the Supreme Court -- including the addition of more seats, as well as term limits and a code of ethics for justices.

The commission unanimously adopted a report late last year, in which they warned that excessive change to the institution could cause democracy to regress in the future.

The panel found "considerable" support for 18-year term limits for justices, but the issue of expanding the court beyond nine seats was met with "profound disagreement."

Rhode Island police officer charged after alleged assault at abortion protest
Quote:
A Rhode Island police officer vying for a state senate seat was charged with assault Saturday after allegedly punching his opponent during an abortion rally near the state house.

State senate candidate Jennifer Rourke claimed on Twitter that her opponent in the race, Jeann Lugo, attacked her at the Friday night rally that took place hours after the U.S. Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade. Rourke's tweet included a video of the alleged encounter.

The Providence Police Department said on Saturday that Lugo, an officer with the department, was charged with simple assault and disorderly conduct in connection with the incident. He is currently suspended with pay from the department.

A Twitter account appearing to belong to Lugo tweeted Saturday that he would no longer be running for office, before the account was deleted.

In an interview with the Providence Journal, Lugo did not deny punching his opponent, but also claimed Rourke became physical with him. The Journal said Rourke denied that accusation.

"I'm not going to deny," Lugo told the newspaper of the punching allegation. "It was very chaotic, so I can't really tell you right now. Everything happened very fast."

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 7:38 pm

Abortion protesters swarm conservative SCOTUS justices’ home

Quote:
Enraged pro-choice protesters vowed to descend on the homes of the six conservative Supreme Court justices on Saturday after posting their addresses online in the wake Roe v. Wade being overturned.

The pro-abortion group, Ruth Sent Us, started circulating the justices’ addresses in the hours after the high court struck down the landmark abortion case Friday and as violent protests broke out nationwide.

Dozens of protesters showed up outside Justice Clarence Thomas’ home overnight, chanting “no privacy for us, no peace for you!” and accusing his wife, Ginni, of being an “insurrectionist.”

Some also brandished signs reading “Thomas is a treasonous turd” and “Off with their d—s.”

The protesters were planning to target Thomas’ home again on Saturday, as well as the residences of Justices Brett Kavanaugh, Amy Coney Barrett, Samuel Alito, John Roberts and Neil Gorsuch, according to posts on social media.

Two arrested for destruction of property at Supreme Court amid protests
Quote:
U.S. Capitol Police (USCP) arrested two people Saturday for destruction of property during protests at the Supreme Court in the wake of the decision overturning Roe v. Wade.

The two allegedly threw paint over the fence separating protesters and others from the Supreme Court building, according to USCP.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 7:38 pm

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 7:39 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

Quote:
U.S. Capitol Police (USCP) arrested two people Saturday for destruction of property during protests at the Supreme Court in the wake of the decision overturning Roe v. Wade.

The two allegedly threw paint over the fence separating protesters and others from the Supreme Court building, according to USCP.

Yes this was inevitable when you are getting throngs/thousands of angry young people gathering

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 7:43 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

I wonder if any of the protesters will be killed because of Castle Laws.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 7:45 pm

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Quote:

Yes this was inevitable when you are getting throngs/thousands of angry young people gathering

I mean considering all the women who will die due to this decision because of being unable to get abortion care on time, spilled paint is barely a concern.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 7:52 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Quote:

I mean considering all the women who will die due to this decision because of being unable to get abortion care on time, spilled paint is barely a concern.

Looks like the cops don't care
https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... t-downtown