Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 9:50 am

Click here: ( Atypical Categorization in Children with High Functioning Autism Spectrum Disorder )

Abstract

Children with autism spectrum disorder process many perceptual and social events differently from typically developing children, suggesting that they may also form and recognize categories differently. We used a dot pattern categorization task and prototype comparison modeling to compare categorical processing in children with high functioning autism spectrum disorder and matched typical controls. We were interested in whether there were differences in how children with autism use average similarity information about a category to make decisions. During testing, the group with autism spectrum disorder endorsed prototypes less and was seemingly less sensitive to differences between to-be-categorized items and the prototype. The findings suggest that individuals with high functioning autism spectrum disorder are less likely to use overall average similarity when forming categories or making categorical decisions. Such differences in category formation and use may negatively impact processing of socially relevant information, such as facial expressions.

Keywords: hyperspecificity, recognition memory, categorical perception, autistic

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 10:03 pm

Aye, I've always had a hard time with organizing and classifying things. I don't think anyone tried to help. I was 40 before I learned that there could be a list of file folders. However, I have had a lot of success in combining ideas from different fields that don't usually mix.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 4:40 am

I was studying taxonomy in college; my thesis had to do with classification of imperfect fungi. I like classifying things although it can be frustrating at times.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 5:51 am

The head nurse at my local hospital has me classified with "people faking an invisible handicap." I don't go there any longer. The advertising AI does not seem to be able to "get" me either.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 5:58 am

I thought that we were supposed to be 'systematizers'. The opposite of folks who 'cant classify things'.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 6:03 am

Dear_one wrote:
The head nurse at my local hospital has me classified with "people faking an invisible handicap." I don't go there any longer. The advertising AI does not seem to be able to "get" me either.

Ah. AI tries to catagorize me too and offers me adverts for things that really puzzle me what the thing is thinking!

Is like the new young salesman in the shop where the manager watches him serve a customer asking for something specific they don't have and says "Sorry we don't have" and the customer walks out, and the manger says "Always offer alternatives!", and another customer walks in asking for toilet paper and overhears his new young salesman say "Sorry, we don't have any but we do have sandpaper or confetti".

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 6:19 am

^^ A grocery store manager overheard his new cashier say "Well, we have not had any for a while, and I don't expect it soon."
The customer left and the manager stormed over to ask "Didn't you listen to your training? You never say we don't have something, you say we'll have it next week! Now, what did she want?"
"Rain."
BTW, is anyone else getting odd happenings from this list? I only get some notifications, and I've been locked out of one thread that seemed quite non-controversial.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 4:44 am

^ I frequently I’m told I can’t use the “view posts since last visit” function. I have to go to the general forum index and then back to have it work. I also have not been able to send PMs with no work around I can find.

NotHolyRomanOrAnEmpire
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Jun 2022, 12:11 pm

I can’t relate to this, I actually categorise things too much.