Is this a woman’s rights issue?
Yes: 92%  92%  [ 35 ]
No: 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 38

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2022, 4:30 pm

There are thousands of women who rely on IVF to get pregnant. Both they and their doctors will now face criminal charges for the simple act of wanting to bring life into this world.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 7:11 am

And I saw that news story about the 10 year old girl who was raped and got pregnant, and she had to travel out of state to get an abortion. Well done Supreme Court. I hope you're happy now. :evil:

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 7:09 pm

The general situation is so awful, my brain is saying that it's ridiculous.

To top it off ---- I took two new-to-us kittens to the vet to get spayed/neutered at four months age. The vet said "not until 6 mos". So I went to a 2nd vet and that vet said "not until 6 mos" --- so I brought them back at 5 months and the female is pregnant!! !! I didn't see behavior to indicate she was in heat nor that her littermate was interested. So even though I followed doctors' orders: an unintended pregnancy. I am told the risks of death/disability to the "teenage" mother and kittens are high. A person tries to do what's right and still ends up in these situations. (a loose analogy)

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 7:14 pm

KitLily wrote:
And I saw that news story about the 10 year old girl who was raped and got pregnant, and she had to travel out of state to get an abortion. Well done Supreme Court. I hope you're happy now. :evil:

And her story drew the attention of international media, with people saying it likely never happened or that she was a political fabrication.

Maybe they should spend their time hunting down child molesters instead of invalidating her trauma.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 7:34 pm

Somewhere in dust that's been unsettled allowing this nasty piece of legislation to be passed through the supreme court, there must be some clause that prohibits religious foibles from interfering in human/civil rights?

The decision here is not actually based on either good science or concern over the women/girls involved. When you dig into the minds of these conservative supreme court judges and their cheer squad in the GOP there is only sunday school biblical scripture interpreted in order to turn back the clock. Of course when the bible was written by men, there was no such thing as anti-abortion. I would be interested to see any biblical reference to "Thou shall not abort an embryo".

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 2:49 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
And her story drew the attention of international media, with people saying it likely never happened or that she was a political fabrication.

Maybe they should spend their time hunting down child molesters instead of invalidating her trauma.

Oh give me strength! People will deny anything. I could post that I made a cup of tea and people would say it never happened!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 8:22 am

cyberdad wrote:
Somewhere in dust that's been unsettled allowing this nasty piece of legislation to be passed through the supreme court, there must be some clause that prohibits religious foibles from interfering in human/civil rights?

The decision here is not actually based on either good science or concern over the women/girls involved. When you dig into the minds of these conservative supreme court judges and their cheer squad in the GOP there is only sunday school biblical scripture interpreted in order to turn back the clock. Of course when the bible was written by men, there was no such thing as anti-abortion. I would be interested to see any biblical reference to "Thou shall not abort an embryo".

There is nothing in the bible that says abortion is wrong, not that any U.S legislation should be based on anything in the bible, but the anti-abortion belief isn't even in the Christian religious text. So does raise the question where the abortion is evil idea came from.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 8:28 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

There is nothing in the bible that says abortion is wrong, not that any U.S legislation should be based on anything in the bible, but the anti-abortion belief isn't even in the Christian religious text. So does raise the question where the abortion is evil idea came from.

Exactly - so here's the thing....if you and I can use simple logic to determine this unethical piece of legislation is based on a false premise from a work of fiction then what the hell are the women in the democrat party doing?? where are the squad or Kamala Harris? why are they not matching with other women? why are they not articulating these points to congress or the media?

I think the democrats dropped the ball. The MAGA octopus seems to have too many tentacles for the democrats to deal with.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 12:21 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

It’s true that abortion is not mentioned in the Bible, but they make inferences (as they often do) from scriptures taken out of context, including but by no means limited to:

13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place,
when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
all the days ordained for me were written in your book
before one of them came to be. (Psalm 139:13-16)

3 Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. (Psalm 127:3)

Then they state that since God views fetuses as part of his wonderful creation getting an abortion is rejecting a gift from God. If women get one, they will lose God’s blessing. They say it’s murder. Then they quote scriptures about murder.

During pro-life protests, they often hold posters with scriptures on them.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 8:41 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

It’s true that abortion is not mentioned in the Bible, but they make inferences (as they often do) from scriptures taken out of context, including but by no means limited to:

I know that full well.

3 Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. (Psalm 127:3)

Then they state that since God views fetuses as part of his wonderful creation getting an abortion is rejecting a gift from God. If women get one, they will lose God’s blessing. They say it’s murder. Then they quote scriptures about murder.

I am aware that about half of all Americans believe the bible should inform consitutional law. But there is a reason for the separation of church and state, Constitutional law is not permitted to be subject to biblical law/canon.

The renaissance in Europe and the enlightenment saw the need for a clear demarcation of "gods law" from a countries constitution. Ultimately the removal of the king or pope as bestowed as chosen by god to rule (Divine right).

I would hope that separation is maintained and the supreme court action overturned as unconstitutional based on a work of fiction.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 8:47 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I know that full well.

I am aware that about half of all Americans believe the bible should inform consitutional law. But there is a reason for the separation of church and state, Constitutional law is not permitted to be subject to biblical law/canon.

I would hope that separation is maintained and the supreme court action overturned as unconstitutional based on a work of fiction.

The people who are the staunchest pro-lifers usually are so for religious reasons. I just wanted to point out their reasoning because it’s not been done too much from what I’ve seen.

It is really difficult, if not impossible, to keep church and state separate in America.

People need to realize that if they don’t like abortions they can choose not to have them, but they shouldn’t restrict the rights of others on religious grounds.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 16 Jul 2022, 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 8:50 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
It is really difficult, if not impossible, to keep church and state separate in America.

People need to realize that if they don’t like abortions they can choose not to have them, but they shouldn’t restrict the rights of others on religious grounds.

This is where the women in the democrat party have failed the people. I am beginning to suspect that this issue is not as close to the hearts of many democrat leaders because there is also a strong religious streak among the leadership in the democrat party. The squad, the Obamas, Kamala Harris and Biden are all staunch christians (or in Omar's case a staunch muslim).

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 9:02 pm

What people don't seem to realise is that politicians don't care about about voters.
It doesn't matter which party wins.
Did anyone really think Joe Biden et al would have their best interests at heart?
What evidence is there that the Dems have done anything to support ... democracy?
I don't think I've seen the VP's face once since she was campaigning.
Nancy Pelosi? I believe she recited a poem the day RvW was overturned.

Good luck, Americans.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 9:04 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

This is where the women in the democrat party have failed the people. I am beginning to suspect that this issue is not as close to the hearts of many democrat leaders because there is also a strong religious streak among the leadership in the democrat party. The squad, the Obamas, Kamala Harris and Biden are all staunch christians (or in Omar's case a staunch muslim).

Why have the women in the Democratic party failed the people? Why is it not the responsibility of everyone (with or without) a uterus?

I’m not sure if I would classify them all as “staunch” Christians. Politicians seek to appear very religious in order to get votes.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 9:28 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Why have the women in the Democratic party failed the people? Why is it not the responsibility of everyone (with or without) a uterus?
I’m not sure if I would classify them all as “staunch” Christians. Politicians seek to appear very religious in order to get votes.

There is a general consensus the democrat party allowed this type of legislation to creep into the public sphere despite the republicans openly campaigning on abortion for years. Not enough articulate or passionate voices to rebuke the narrative that 6 supreme court judges have happily passed.

The squad were very vocal over muslim rights and immigrants during Trump's tenure but have been mysteriously absent during this who debacle overturning Roe Vs Wade. My point is this is not an issue that they care about.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 9:33 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

There is a general consensus the democrat party allowed this type of legislation to creep into the public sphere despite the republicans openly campaigning on abortion for years. Not enough articulate or passionate voices to rebuke the narrative that 6 supreme court judges have happily passed.

The squad were very vocal over muslim rights and immigrants during Trump's tenure but have been mysteriously absent during this who debacle overturning Roe Vs Wade. My point is this is not an issue that they care about.

Why is this the responsibility of Democratic women?