Right wing Christians vs. Jesus's actual teachings

Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 9:13 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
millions of regular americans are first generation self made millionaires.80 percent of millionaires are self-made in this country.I have known many self-made millionaires in my life who came from humble backgrounds.

These days, many so-called "self-made millionaires" are just middle-class people with paid-off mortgages on both their home and their car. Due to inflation -- and due to property values that have been propped artificially high by zoning laws. -- being a "millionaire" ain't what it used to be.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 9:26 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I think teaching them how to manage their money with biblical stewardship Like Dave Ramsey would be better way to combat poverty by the church instead of just giving them money.

For some people, perhaps, but I wouldn't generalize. Each person and situation is different.

I believe every young poor person who is able bodied and NT can get out of poverty through hard work and the dollar cost averaging into the stock market every month and retire a millionaire at 70 to 80.If some NT person winds up homeless its most likely their fault.

No. Sometimes there just aren't any jobs available.

We live in a highly inter-dependent economy that is much bigger than any of us. If, for example, you happen to live in a town whose economy depends on a nearby factory and that factory closes down, due to a decision by the mega-corporation that owns that factory -- or if you live in a town whose economy depends on a local oil well and that oil well runs dry -- then you are SOL. And moving isn't easy, especially when you are broke.

All too often, the economy is like a game of musical chairs.

Also, in the past few decades, property values (and hence also rents) have been kept artificially high by zoning laws. When I was younger, a person with a minimum-wage job had no trouble finding a place to live. That's certainly not true anymore.

The idea that "every young poor person who is able bodied and NT can get out of poverty through hard work" has been true in SOME historical circumstances, e.g. if you happen to live on the frontier of an expanding empire, where there is always more land to be settled. But settler-colonialism has very unpleasant consequences, to put it mildly, for the people who got conquered and/or displaced.

The idea that "every young poor person who is able bodied and NT can get out of poverty through hard work" is traditionally popular here in the U.S.A. -- and probably arose from our country's long history of expansion and settler-colonialism. Back in the 1800's and earlier, poor white people were told, "Go west, young man!" But the U.S.A. stopped expanding a long time ago, and settler-colonialism is now against international law -- for good reasons.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 1:02 pm

Would the mutual aid society for asd be like an 'old boys club' of networking where we 'conspire' to get each other hired?
Or would it be some other way of helping one another?

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 2:45 pm

Helping each other find jobs might be one way that an autistic mutual aid society could help its members -- and a very important way, given the difficulties many of us have both with job interviews and with building the kinds of friendship networks that many NT's rely on to help them find jobs.

There are also lots of other possible ways an autistic mutual aid group could help its members. Possibilities include:

- helping its members find good, adult-autism-aware therapists and medical professionals.
- raising money to help individual members get through especially difficult times in their lives.

I envision an autistic mutual aid group as existing in the context of an autistic community that would include various other kinds of groups as well. See Longterm visions for the autistic community.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 3:04 pm

Those seem like good goals.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 8:23 pm

klanka wrote:
Would the mutual aid society for asd be like an 'old boys club' of networking where we 'conspire' to get each other hired?
Or would it be some other way of helping one another?

I am wanting to start a mutrryual aid or some sort of non-profit charity for neurodiverse people if I ever get become millionaire.It has always been a goal of mine.We would obviously include every form of autism.I plan on starting many companies someday and I want to give the neurodiverse and disabled lots of job opportunities.So I promise to hire a bunch of people like us if i become a successful serial entreprenuer.We need to stick together.I also think one way that Right wing Christianity does not function like Jesus is that we dont take care of disabled children who go to our church or make special accomodations for them.I am just speaking from the experience of my evangelical commuity.I have a friend who cant go to church because of lack of accomdation andJesus welcomed all children.I know he would of welcome the autistic children in his services if he was still around.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 8:29 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
millions of regular americans are first generation self made millionaires.80 percent of millionaires are self-made in this country.I have known many self-made millionaires in my life who came from humble backgrounds.

These days, many so-called "self-made millionaires" are just middle-class people with paid-off mortgages on both their home and their car. Due to inflation -- and due to property values that have been propped artificially high by zoning laws. -- being a "millionaire" ain't what it used to be.

Inflation has totally destroyed the dollar since 1950 when millionaires were super rich so i agree.I fear it will only get worse.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 4:18 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I believe every young poor person who is able bodied and NT can get out of poverty through hard work and the dollar cost averaging into the stock market every month and retire a millionaire at 70 to 80.

You can believe it all you like but that doesn't mean it's a belief that's grounded in reality. Is there any evidence to substantiate the belief, or is it really nothing more than something you feel should be true?

millions of regular americans are first generation self made millionaires.80 percent of millionaires are self-made in this country.I have known many self-made millionaires in my life who came from humble backgrounds.Just read the Millionaire Next Door or the Next Millionaire Next Door to see how it is very possible still.I would encourage you to get acquainted with Graham Stephan because he tells how regular people today from humble backgrounds can retire millionaires through faithful investing in index funds.Warren Buffett agrees that every young NT American can retire a stock market millionaire

Are you able to substantiate those claims at all because they just sound like slogans from hucksters who sell books with titles like The Millionaire Next Door.

People can claim all sorts of things in a book but it doesn't make those things true and in particular these claims simply aren't reflected in reality. If they were, more people would be better off but instead it's just people who grew up well off shaming people who are less well off for not taking the same steps they took, regardless of whether or not those steps were even available as options.

It's about as grounded in reality as boomers blaming avocado toast for why younger generations have less wealth than they did.

Well actually having no social life and spending nothing more than is needed can enable many millennials to retire by 50 to 60 and investing the difference in index funds will give them a retirement where they can live in dignity.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 4:26 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I think teaching them how to manage their money with biblical stewardship Like Dave Ramsey would be better way to combat poverty by the church instead of just giving them money.

For some people, perhaps, but I wouldn't generalize. Each person and situation is different.

I believe every young poor person who is able bodied and NT can get out of poverty through hard work and the dollar cost averaging into the stock market every month and retire a millionaire at 70 to 80.If some NT person winds up homeless its most likely their fault.

No. Sometimes there just aren't any jobs available.

We live in a highly inter-dependent economy that is much bigger than any of us. If, for example, you happen to live in a town whose economy depends on a nearby factory and that factory closes down, due to a decision by the mega-corporation that owns that factory -- or if you live in a town whose economy depends on a local oil well and that oil well runs dry -- then you are SOL. And moving isn't easy, especially when you are broke.

All too often, the economy is like a game of musical chairs.

Also, in the past few decades, property values (and hence also rents) have been kept artificially high by zoning laws. When I was younger, a person with a minimum-wage job had no trouble finding a place to live. That's certainly not true anymore.

The idea that "every young poor person who is able bodied and NT can get out of poverty through hard work" has been true in SOME historical circumstances, e.g. if you happen to live on the frontier of an expanding empire, where there is always more land to be settled. But settler-colonialism has very unpleasant consequences, to put it mildly, for the people who got conquered and/or displaced.

The idea that "every young poor person who is able bodied and NT can get out of poverty through hard work" is traditionally popular here in the U.S.A. -- and probably arose from our country's long history of expansion and settler-colonialism. Back in the 1800's and earlier, poor white people were told, "Go west, young man!" But the U.S.A. stopped expanding a long time ago, and settler-colonialism is now against international law -- for good reasons.
fir
McJobs aint meant to provide the American dream.They are traditionally meant to be first jobs.However I do concede that many young Americans cant achieve the American dream partly because so many first jobs for college grads require 5 years of experience.Thats why I cant achieve the American Dream on my own.I think college grad wages should go back to where they were when the baby boomers were young

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 10:00 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Well actually having no social life and spending nothing more than is needed can enable many millennials to retire by 50 to 60 and investing the difference in index funds will give them a retirement where they can live in dignity.

Problem: "Having no social life" would make it much harder, for many people, to find a better job.

These days the job market is generally screwed up, in lots of ways, compared to what it used to be like.

One problem is the advent of email, which (though much more convenient than the old way of applying for jobs in-person) means the larger employers are now bombarded with many more resumes than they can possibly handle in any reasonable way. So now the preliminary screening of resumes is done by computer algorithms using very superficial criteria such as gaps, even if the person is otherwise an excellent candidate. An emphasis on "gaps" means that, if you've ever had any difficulty finding a job for any reason whatsoever, you are forever excluded from the vast majority of the job market unless you put in a fake job. And faking it effectively is likely to get harder, as the mega-corporations get better and better at spying on people (a.k.a. doing "background checks").

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 3:48 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

Problem: "Having no social life" would make it much harder, for many people, to find a better job.

These days the job market is generally screwed up, in lots of ways, compared to what it used to be like.

One problem is the advent of email, which (though much more convenient than the old way of applying for jobs in-person) means the larger employers are now bombarded with many more resumes than they can possibly handle in any reasonable way. So now the preliminary screening of resumes is done by computer algorithms using very superficial criteria such as gaps, even if the person is otherwise an excellent candidate. An emphasis on "gaps" means that, if you've ever had any difficulty finding a job for any reason whatsoever, you are forever excluded from the vast majority of the job market unless you put in a fake job. And faking it effectively is likely to get harder, as the mega-corporations get better and better at spying on people (a.k.a. doing "background checks").

I meant that young people must not spend too much money on starbucks eating out bars vacations recreation avacodo toast if they want to have a 1 million dollar net worth by 80.I never said everyone can be rich.I just said a lot of people can be millionaire.But someone with 1 million is not rich in my book.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 3:57 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

I meant that young people must not spend too much money on starbucks eating out bars vacations recreation avacodo toast if they want to have a 1 million dollar net worth by 80.I never said everyone can be rich.I just said a lot of people can be millionaire.But someone with 1 million is not rich in my book.

I don’t think the trade off would be worth it. I’m especially fond of avocado toast and lattes. I have my own espresso machine which helps, though.

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 4:04 pm

I can't imagine why traditional orthodox Christianity should be considered left-wing.

Jesus actually did condemn a lot of the things that the left does too. At least the right wing Christians are consistent.

The left is as bad and intolerant as the right is. The tone of the OP is making my eyes roll.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 5:02 pm

Hollywood_Guy wrote:
Jesus actually did condemn a lot of the things that the left does too.

Could you provide some examples?

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 9:07 pm

Hollywood_Guy wrote:
I can't imagine why traditional orthodox Christianity should be considered left-wing.

Jesus actually did condemn a lot of the things that the left does too. At least the right wing Christians are consistent.

The left is as bad and intolerant as the right is. The tone of the OP is making my eyes roll.

Well I think 1st century Christianity in Acts was very hard left comparable to Karl Marx economically compared to Modern Day Evangelicals Republicans.Christ was one of the most liberal and radical revolutionary in his day by the standards of his society.