Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Jun 2022, 8:14 pm

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but it seems the best that I could find.

Does anyone else collect rocks? I live where they opened up a new park that was an old quarry, so every time my husband and I go for walks I find new rocks that are neat. He has kind of gotten into it too a little. Lots of pink granite, a "salt and pepper" looking granite, and other neat looking rocks that I am not sure what they are.
It sure is fun! Always curious of what I will find next!

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 8:29 pm

I like to collect rocks. I have a lot of tiny ones that are different colours, and have different patterns on them. I also have some bigger ones, but I prefer the tiny, smoother ones.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2022, 8:50 pm

Yeah. Just various types of quartz. Mostly milky, smokey and some rose here. I like finding round or roundish ones caused by them rubbing against one another in flowing water, ones smoothed out via erosion of some type, usually water and silt, along with the aforementioned abrasion.

My prized possession is an amazingly beautiful one that a crow dropped off for me as a gift for giving him some food. He made sure to put it on the front step of the house.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

25 Jun 2022, 3:36 am

Dillogic wrote:
Yeah. Just various types of quartz. Mostly milky, smokey and some rose here. I like finding round or roundish ones caused by them rubbing against one another in flowing water, ones smoothed out via erosion of some type, usually water and silt, along with the aforementioned abrasion.

My prized possession is an amazingly beautiful one that a crow dropped off for me as a gift for giving him some food. He made sure to put it on the front step of the house.
That's a very nice crow to have around. I would be feed them regurarly after that.

I collected a bit of rocks when I was a kid. Me & my parents took a vacation to Arkansas a couple times & mined quartz from some mountain quary thing. Most of em were very dirty. I was in 5th or 6th grade one of the times & I was required to do a sceince fair project shortly after our trip so the project was about cleaning the quartz. My parents did most all the work & I just had to give the presentation but my anxiety still made that difficult. I collected a bit of other various rocks as well. Some me or my parents found lying around various areas(my dad worked in construction & ocasionally found itneresting 1s at job sites) & some me or my parents bought. I had a few fossils as well that we bought; I know fossils are not really rocks but the're close enough for this thread. I didn't bring any of my collection with me when I moved out; they woulda been difficult to transport this much distance. I also got rid of some common 1s by putting em in my parents driveway to have less clutter. My mom started storing a lot of things in my room after I moved out & I haven't seen what was left of that rock collection in many years. I'd guess they're burried behind a bunch of stuff in my closet somewhere in a storage bin or box.

After I moved out I bought a few rocks from differnt places including an ammonite fossil online. I was buying some other stuff from that site & the fossil was on sale & I needed my order to be over a certain amount, plus I think it's kewl that a Pokemon was based on it even if the Pokemon is really lame. I'm more into crystal skulls these days thou :skull: I have bit made from differnt types of rocks & stones. I really want one made from some kinda clearish crystal like quartz.

Me & my girlfreind went to the mall a month or so ago cuz she had an appointment with her psychiatrist which is nearby & we wanted to eat at IHOP which is in the mall. We hadn't been to the mall in a long time. Anyways we saw a new store there selling various nicknacks which Cass is into & they had also had some various rocks/stones & crystal skulls. They had a couple kewl big alien head skulls for $50 & I bought the kewler one & only got charged $25 for it :mrgreen: It didn't say what type of stone it is & I'm cruious :( I also bought a decrotive knife from there(I have a knife/blade collection) that looked 70s style & priced $35 but I got told $25 :mrgreen: Cass got a few nickknacks. She has another psych appointment this comming week & I would def like to go to that store again but we don't get money till the 1st that we really should spend on more essential things & Cass is stressed from visiting her family this weekend(why I have so much free time to spend on WP the last couple days) & she's stressed from various other things. Plus I have a doc appointment the day before or after her psych one & she might go with me to mine so I doubt she'll agree to go to the mall. I'll suggest it but I def will accept a No & drop it. If I'm lucky we can eat somewhere after my appointment since it'll be a tad latter & might be less stressful for Cass since it's closer & my appointment instead of her's. OK I'm done rambling now :wink:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2022, 4:19 am

I’ve collected rocks ever since I can remember. Not in any systematic way, more like what caught my fancy at the time. I still have some from childhood: a chunk of sandstone with layers of colors, a piece of raw obsidian. We collected agates and jasper on the shore of Lake Superior. The Buffalo River was full of a large variety of different kinds of rocks, many of which are sitting right next to me now. The Peace River has fossils. I have parts of fossilized manatee ribs, turtle shells.

arachnids
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jun 2022, 10:49 am

Omg I'm obsessed with rocks. I have literally hundreds all around the house and garden. I collect them and bring them home. I've taken rocks I shouldn't have as well. Rocks are my life!

I am not taking the damn Venlafaxine!

On Propranolol

I like cats, trees and spiders.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act' George Orwell

Lady Strange
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Jun 2022, 2:01 pm

It is fun to see what interesting looking ones I can find. I think a lot are quartz or have a lot of quartz crystals in them.

Nice to see other collectors! It can be hard to identify some, especially the more plainer looking ones. I found a few that are definite grey but have sparkles all through them. I think that might be small quartz crystals though I am not sure.