Why did my therapist berate me for wanting antidepressants?

Page 2 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 3:48 pm

Doctors tend to be suspicious when patients directly ask for pills, no matter their age.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 3:48 pm

If you referred to them as "happy pills" it would sound like you weren't taking it seriously.
It would highlight the fact you were young and looking for a quick solution to depression.

(Not that a family therapist could prescribe SSRI to an adolescent anyway.)

I had kind of a similar situation once with my psychiatrist.

She tried to give me SSRI and I didn't want them.
She said that I was refusing treatment.

On the next appointment I said I would consider them if she thought they were needed.
She said I couldn't demand medicine, and treated me like a junkie.

Sometimes you just can't win.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 7:08 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
If you referred to them as "happy pills" it would sound like you weren't taking it seriously.
It would highlight the fact you were young and looking for a quick solution to depression.
Isn't it a GOOD thing to have a quick solution for depression? Depression is a real illness, not "whining". It's no different than wanting a quick solution for a cold or a diarrhea. Sadly, a child's/teen's depression is a VERY lucrative income source for family therapists, as minors generally can't get antidepressants; the therapist gets to dangle a solution just out of the minor's reach, promising the world while wasting the minor's time. That's why I took up drinking and huffing; the chemicals gave me the mood boost my therapist denied me, not to mention being far more harmful than an SSRI would be.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 7:11 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Isn't it a GOOD thing to have a quick solution for depression? Depression is a real illness, not "whining". It's no different than wanting a quick solution for a cold or a diarrhea. Sadly, a child's/teen's depression is a VERY lucrative income source for family therapists, as minors generally can't get antidepressants; the therapist gets to dangle a solution just out of the minor's reach, promising the world while wasting the minor's time. That's why I took up drinking and huffing; the chemicals gave me the mood boost my therapist denied me, not to mention being far more harmful than an SSRI would be.

My son found therapy very helpful. He cried when his therapist moved away.

I’m sorry that you had such a negative experience, but it’s not the norm for children or adults according to various studies.

Many people do not find SSRIs to be a magical solution. I certainly didn’t.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 7:40 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
My son found therapy very helpful. He cried when his therapist moved away.

I’m sorry that you had such a negative experience, but it’s not the norm for children or adults according to various studies.

Many people do not find SSRIs to be a magical solution. I certainly didn’t.
I, too, felt saddened when my parents first pulled me out of therapy. But in retrospect, it was just Stockholm Syndrome talking, along with the discomfort of losing my weekly routine. But after a month, I felt relieved to get rid of that woman: I no longer had to fabricate "easy" issues for her to "fix", or come up with things to brag about (like A's on tests), week after week for 6 years.

Well, Effexor---which is technically an SNRI---was very helpful for me. After a month of getting on it, I French kissed a woman in a nightclub, and a woman I already knew at that, with hands touching all the naughty body parts. ;) Well, that night took place after I stupidly mixed Effexor and vodka, then rode a train to the club, although the outcome was pretty freaking awesome!

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 7:44 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
Well, Effexor---which is technically an SNRI---was very helpful for me. After a month of getting on it, I French kissed a woman in a nightclub, and a woman I already knew at that, with hands touching all the naughty body parts. ;) Well, that night took place after I stupidly mixed Effexor and vodka, then rode a train to the club, although the outcome was pretty freaking awesome!

How do you know that those results were entirely due to the medication? There is often a placebo effect with medications which makes them seem more effective than they actually are.

In any case, your experience with therapy does not reflect every one else’s experience as research indicates. I’m sorry you didn’t find someone who worked for you.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 7:57 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
How do you know that those results were entirely due to the medication? There is often a placebo effect with medications which makes them seem more effective than they actually are.
Meh! I call it as I see it. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and swims like a duck, then it's a duck. Plus, imagine if you were depressed for months on end, then took a "happiness pill", and made out (UK: snogged) with a Chad you had fantasized about, wouldn't YOU feel happy too? No need to respond. ;)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 7:59 pm

Most ladies go way beyond seeking “Chads.”

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 8:02 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Meh! I call it as I see it. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and swims like a duck, then it's a duck. Plus, imagine if you were depressed for months on end, then took a "happiness pill", and made out (UK: snogged) with a Chad you had fantasized about, wouldn't YOU feel happy too? No need to respond. ;)

I doubt it. I’m a bit more analytical/skeptical than that.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 8:03 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Most ladies go way beyond seeking “Chads.”

I don’t even know what a Chad is. I knew a guy named Chad once. He was certainly not my cup of tea.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 8:05 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

LMAO -- You think men are the cure to women's depression?

I think you must have misread a hell of a lot of posts.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 8:12 pm

A “Chad,” basically, is a jock. An athletic-looking male person.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 8:13 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Probably the least attractive type of man there is. (In my opinion). ^

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 8:19 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Wow! That sounds just like the Chad who was not my cup of tea. What a coincidence!

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 8:22 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Probably the least attractive type of man there is. (In my opinion). ^

I would very strongly agree. I hate sports, over-competitiveness, and BO.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 8:23 pm

The only Chad I knew was a really sweet, anxious, learning-disabled boy who had been sexually abused by men.