Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 6:33 am

I am guessing this thread might get locked but hey it was worth a shot.

When people and celebrities say thing on social media like "respect women" don't you think in a way that's male bashing?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 6:48 am

No.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 6:54 am

naturalplastic wrote:
No.

Not sure if I agree because I don’t think men get enough respect in our society.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 6:57 am

Not really no. If done in a condescending manner or with some weird context then yes but such a simple statement very rarely is on its own.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 8:27 am

I'm out of touch with the politics and arguments, ideologies of today so forgive me but....
Why is it not 'show respect to everyone'
Do the promoters of 'respect women' have a certain issue that is behind that statement?

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 8:57 am

klanka wrote:
I'm out of touch with the politics and arguments, ideologies of today so forgive me but....
Why is it not 'show respect to everyone'
Do the promoters of 'respect women' have a certain issue that is behind that statement?

Yeah I know historically men don't have a great reputation and women are usually seen as the victims.

The thing is a lot of men that believe that women should be respected more are actually discriminating against themselves.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 9:21 am

This is something that I've always be thinking about. I think it should be "Respect all people". This traditional "Respect women" is based on an idea of gender roles "men should be such and such, women should be such and such". So the basis of "respect women" itself is sexist. Male animals are wired to treat females preferentially and if you follow this "respect women" mentality, many males suffer. I don't "respect women" because I'm against sexism. I respect all people.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 9:33 am

temp1234 wrote:
This is something that I've always be thinking about. I think it should be "Respect all people". This traditional "Respect women" is based on an idea of gender roles "men should be such and such, women should be such and such". So the basis of "respect women" itself is sexist. Male animals are wired to treat females preferentially and if you follow this "respect women" mentality, many males suffer. I don't "respect women" because I'm against sexism. I respect all people.

Exactly my point

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 10:07 am

Men will never respect women because they cannot comprehend how we are able to bleed for several days each month and not die from it. :roll:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 10:29 am

Jamesy wrote:
I am guessing this thread might get locked but hey it was worth a shot.

When people and celebrities say thing on social media like "respect women" don't you think in a way that's male bashing?
Not at all. Favoring one thing is not the same as disfavoring another.

For example, saying, “I like chocolate” is not the same as saying, “I hate vanilla”.

By the same reasoning, saying, “I respect women” is not the same as saying, “I disrespect men”.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 10:36 am

Jamesy wrote:

A first thing to do as a foundation for a conversation like this is to establish what percentage of content on social media accurately documents observable reality compared to what percentage of content on social media is composed of mere prejudice, and nebulous, immaterial, perception, and feeling.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 12:14 pm

I see a lot of misandrist male-bashing in TV commercials.

Men / husbands are often depicted as idiotic tropes who don't know how to do anything until their wife comes along and saves the day, with a gentle rebuke of his ineptitude.

It drives me nuts.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 12:19 pm

Quote:
Male Bashing In The Media?

For a long time.

This topic should be moved to PPR.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 12:21 pm

I think the idea is evening things out because woman have been oppressed by men.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 12:24 pm

Yes but it's ironic to advocate for gender equality, if men are shown as stupid.

Can't we all be smart, or be judged by our individual merit rather than our sex / gender?

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 12:28 pm

It seems human nature dictates that someone needs to be bashed.