In U.S.A., only 29% of R’s want abortion to be “not permitte

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 7:43 am

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/roe-v-wade ... 022-05-08/

Please click “Read more” after first paragraph.

May 9, 2022:

Also please notice the 45% of Republicans who want abortion “available with stricter limits.”

===========

As a person who is pro-choice, I consider the above graph to be relatively good news.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2022, 2:03 am

Something wrong with the US judicial system if bills don't have public support, Too many Brett Kavanaugh types making decisions on behalf of all Americans

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2022, 2:55 am

A Republican friend of mine completely freaked out when the Dobbs decision came out. But I have to wonder ... how the heck did she not see this coming????

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2022, 2:44 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Something wrong with the US judicial system if bills don't have public support, Too many Brett Kavanaugh types making decisions on behalf of all Americans

* I try to matter-of-factly show all presidents equal respect

All 3 of Pres. Trump’s appointees voted to repeal Roe: Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, and Coney Barrett.

Thomas Clarence, appointed by Pres. Bush, Sr, is a conservative ideologue.

The one who really surprised me was Samuel Alito, appointed by Pres. Bush, Jr. I thought of him, when I thought of him at all, as a middle-of-the-road conservative. I guess not.

—————————————

* in spoken language, I’ll say Biden, Trump, Obama, Bush, Clinton, Reagan, etc, etc, Kennedy, Eisenhower, etc, etc. to refer to U.S. presidents

PS I almost wish my United States had a parliamentary form of democracy.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2022, 3:25 pm

I think the anger is misplaced. The courts are no place for activism.

Make Congress pass laws/amend Constitution. Seen the approval ratings for Congress for the last couple of decades? There's the problem. That's why I don't mind that on 1/6/2021 a bunch of people came to rip 'em a new one.

Not to mention of the states themselves should be decent enough to pass sensible laws...

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2022, 4:25 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
A Republican friend of mine completely freaked out when the Dobbs decision came out. But I have to wonder ... how the heck did she not see this coming????

I guess because people talk a lot of extremism which never comes to pass.

And then, the U.S. Supreme Court is an abrupt, clumsy institution. I’m sorry, but it is.

For example, look at the Dred Scott decision from way back in 1857. I could see a decision which was pro-slavery since it was the status quo (sadly!) , but which made a civil war less likely.

Instead, we got a decision which checked both negative boxes. Meaning, a decision which was BOTH pro-slavery AND which made a civil war more likely.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2022, 4:27 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
And then, the U.S. Supreme Court is an abrupt, clumsy institution.

Meaning we shouldn't rely on the court to shape the policy.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2022, 6:09 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
. . . Make Congress pass laws/amend Constitution. Seen the approval ratings for Congress for the last couple of decades? There's the problem. . .

We’re a long way from a healthy 2-party system, in which both parties are close to the ideological middle for the country.

I think a big reason for the anger, frustration, and extremism has been the slow decline of middle-income jobs. The American middle class HAS NOT been “hollowed out” and is actually doing better than many people think it is. But it moving in the wrong direction. And that’s important. And the aspect of “not as bad as many people think” is thin consolation for the people who have experienced cascading downward.

I actually differ from many people who think gerrymandering has had a huge effect.

I’m more likely to blame things like the crappy seniority system in Congress where citizens keep electing the same person as long as he or she is above some pitifully low level of ability — because the person with “seniority” is better at bringing money into the district.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2022, 3:04 pm

http://archives.nd.edu/research/texts/cuomo.htm

Gov. Mario Cuomo of New York spoke at Notre Dame University

Sept. 1984

“ . . can support the development of government programs that present an impoverished mother with the full range of support she needs to bear and raise her children, to have a real choice. . ”

==============

Some people agree, and some people probably don’t.

People can have strong views regarding economics, and that’s fine.

I used to like Sweden as an example of a mixed economic system. These days I more like the “Asian Tiger” mixed models: Japan (although now slower growth), South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong (now becoming part of China), and Singapore. There are also the “Tiger Cub” economies: the Philippines, Thailand, Malaysia, and Indonesia. And of course India since the 1990s.

I like these success stories because I think GDP growth is important.

GDP = Gross Domestic Product

But I’m also old enough to realize that not everyone shares my views of economics.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2022, 3:14 pm

And I welcome additional attempts to find common ground. :D