Why is there so much hating on the right on this website?

Page 16 of 16 [ 252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 11:04 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Some on here are more knowledgeable about American politics than the average American.

But doesn't dismissing them out of hand make it easier to avoid informed opinions one doesn't wish to engage with?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 11:05 pm

Raptor wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Raptor wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

So long as you know "what" you are voting for. You have that freedom of choice.

It always puzzles me why non-Americans sweat over our presidents and moreso our domestic affairs when you don't have a vote.
We don't feel your pain.

The same people who comment on every other country's internal issues that they have awareness of? I'd imagine it's because they don't consider America exceptionally beyond criticism and actually have empathy for the citizens harmed by terrible decisions.

Ironically at times it seems like non-Americans have more empathy for those Americans than their fellow Americans have for them. :nerdy:

But you can't fix it.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 11:05 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Raptor wrote:
But you can't fix it.

No, but not every single conversation has to be directed towards finding solutions, sometimes people just need empathy or to be reminded that reasonable people actually agree with them.
Further, there's nations that have only recently succeeded in overturning antiabortion laws and they might have useful advice.

To some extent 'fix' inherently oversimplifies the issue. Any solution will always be imperfect and face criticism. Being able to compare how different regulations play out helps with understanding what policies would be most effective, in order to compare against public opinion, in order to determine strategy.

Twilightprincess wrote:

Are we likely to fix anything by commenting on it here?

Also this. :lol:

WP is not a legislative body AND there is way too much polarization here.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 11:06 pm

Raptor wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
People can vote even if they are absolutely clueless and like a candidate solely for his or her dimples.

I remember a republican voter in 2016 reporting that the main reason she voted for Trump was because first lady Melania would add more class to the White House and that she thought Michelle Obama looked like a "gorilla in heels" (her words).

Well that's one I haven't heard. The one I did hear from a dude I know IRL is that Michelle is a man in drag. I aint making this up.

Quote:
We are not talking about intellectual giants but I keep being reminded that half of college educated women voted for Trump in 2016 despite his vocal misogyny.

I wonder how many pictures and video I could post here of Biden sniffing women and kids like an old hound and having his paws all over them.

We already had a Biden sniffing thread.
The sniffing is weird unless you are a Bloodhound.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 11:07 pm

Raptor wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Raptor wrote:
But you can't fix it.

No, but not every single conversation has to be directed towards finding solutions, sometimes people just need empathy or to be reminded that reasonable people actually agree with them.
Further, there's nations that have only recently succeeded in overturning antiabortion laws and they might have useful advice.

To some extent 'fix' inherently oversimplifies the issue. Any solution will always be imperfect and face criticism. Being able to compare how different regulations play out helps with understanding what policies would be most effective, in order to compare against public opinion, in order to determine strategy.

Twilightprincess wrote:

Are we likely to fix anything by commenting on it here?

Also this. :lol:

So, what should political forums be used to talk about?

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 11:19 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Raptor wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
People can vote even if they are absolutely clueless and like a candidate solely for his or her dimples.

I remember a republican voter in 2016 reporting that the main reason she voted for Trump was because first lady Melania would add more class to the White House and that she thought Michelle Obama looked like a "gorilla in heels" (her words).

Well that's one I haven't heard. The one I did hear from a dude I know IRL is that Michelle is a man in drag. I aint making this up.

Quote:
We are not talking about intellectual giants but I keep being reminded that half of college educated women voted for Trump in 2016 despite his vocal misogyny.

I wonder how many pictures and video I could post here of Biden sniffing women and kids like an old hound and having his paws all over them.

It's not merely weird, it speaks volumes about both his mental state and his character. In this disturbing regard, Trump couldn't catch up to him riding a rocket.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 11:28 pm

Raptor wrote:

I don't believe any of us have tried to pass any laws, given they'd have no teeth even within WP.

As for polarization, these sorts of issues often have impacts on the mental health of posters making them valid to discuss.

I don't recall complaining about polarization when I was being treated as a pariah over the views I express because I accepted the idea that if what you express is deeply disagreeable to people they won't like you and have no obligation to. Many of the posters who contributed to that are no longer here as a result of that polarization.

It seems like right-wing posters gradually losing the ability to bully posters they disagree with is the real "polarizing hate" here. Some opinions aren't allowed to be expressed anymore but they were repulsive and hateful all along and contributed to driving away many good posters. If the people who engaged in that are gone it's an improvement deserving of praise, not complaints about polarization.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 11:30 pm

Raptor wrote:
[img][img][img][img]Misslizard[/img][/img][/img][/img] wrote:
Raptor wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

Quote:

It's not merely weird, it speaks volumes about both his mental state and his character. In this disturbing regard, Trump couldn't catch up to him riding a rocket.

Not sure about that.
Birds of a feather….,

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 11:31 pm

I’m surprised that members who complain about nonAmericans engaging in discussions about American politics are concerned about polarization. Such comments are polarizing.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 11:37 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Raptor wrote:
You should watch the complete video and decide for yourself without allowing yourself be taken in by the leftist narrative.

Why not watch all the videos of the Covington school boys
1. Marching in a politically motivated rally
2. being allowed by their teachers to wear MAGA hats
3. being encouraged by their teachers to march in a rally to remove women's rights to an abortion

It was in this environment that Sandmann was enabled/embolded/entitled to stare down an old man and smirk as the old man was being racially abused.

There were three groups at fault during this whole debacle
1. Sandman who chose to sneer at an old man and smirk as he was being racially taunted
2. the other school boys who were on the record for mysogistic and racist behavior
3. the school and teachers for enabling a culture in this school that permits this type of behavior and a culture that promotes support for Trump and right wing ideologies

If anyone wants to witness how trump's right wing experiment is influencing America then look no further than the entitled little s**t Nick Sandmann, his school and the school adminstrators at Covington.

1. Marching in a politically motivated rally
2. being allowed by their teachers to wear MAGA hats
3. being encouraged by their teachers to march in a rally to remove women's rights to an abortion

Correct

4. teachers looking the other way as the boys verbally/sexually abuse teenage girls who reported their behaviour/conduct
Teachers did look the other way but there were a couple of reported incidents, not mass sexual harassment. For a bunch of high school boys left to themselves, there was surprisingly little of it. My high school classmates would have called the Covington kids all sorts of pejoratives starting with wimps and getting worse from there.

5. encouraged by teachers to cross the road to confront black extremists (what were the teachers doing??)
The teachers were doing nothing. You have got to be kidding otherwise. It was the black hebrews who were confronting everybody. The students were waiting in a prime tourist area for a bus.

6. surrounding a native american elder and racially taunting him (again what were the teachers doing??)' it's important to note that boys at this all-white school also have a history of racially taunting black basketball teams who play their school. Their school has never attempted to rectify their conduct in the sports arena
It was the elder who walked up to them. Even then they never surrounded him. Maybe you define surrounding in Australia differently but I doubt it.

It was in this environment that Sandmann was enabled/embolded/entitled to stare down an old man and smirk as the old man was being racially abused.
Smirk?, more like shit-eating grin. The latter is done at the beginning of bullying or as a defensive reaction when a person does not know how to respond. I have no idea which it was, unless you have NT mind reading superpowers you don't either.

There were three groups at fault during this whole debacle
1. Sandman who chose to sneer at an old man and smirk as he was being racially taunted
2. the other school boys who were on the record for mysogistic and racist behavior
3. the school and teachers for enabling a culture in this school that permits this type of behavior and a culture that promotes support for Trump and right wing ideologies

The main fault lies with adults, before, during, and after the incident. By after the incident, I am referring to his being used by lawyers with a political agenda.

If anyone wants to witness how trump's right wing experiment is influencing America then look no further than the entitled little s**t Nick Sandmann, his school and the school adminstrators at Covington
This incident is symbolic of the sickness of America in this era. This was a minor dust up that turned into a political Rorschach test. Trumpism played a large but far from the only part.

Growing up Jewish in a mostly Catholic town I have also seen that look when it was contempt as in we have a pathetic target, me. Thus I was in enough situations where I had that reaction out of discomfort.

Rowdy mob?. That was not rowdy. I guess you are correct about growing up in a sheltered school. Ever been to a rock concert, where people are stoned out of their brains, sporting events where people are drunk out their minds, or a college town on a Saturday Night?. Mob is what happened when big-time media and celebrities ganged up on him, some of them talking about what they would like done to him physically.

Show me a video or other evidence where it was the catholic school students confronting the black Hebrews.

The elder was not trying to defuse anything. He is a long time political activist and confronting people is what they do. That later in the evening he and his group disrupted a mass in a Catholic church points to him having it in for Catholics.

The big wealthy companies did not reach settlements with Sandmann because Sandmann is a good guy but because there was enough there, there that they feared losing a libel case.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 12:54 am

Before the embargo on publishing anything about Nick Sandmann did when his parents started their witch hunt on the press, it was stated that the black hebrews were across the road and the students crossed the road to confront the black hebrews (probably because their taunts were audible to the students)

A lot of what was written about Phillips was pro-Trump people digging up dirt on the old man all of which is irrelevant to the event because all the school boys saw was an old Indian man chanting and beating a drum.

You do realise that Sandmann's family wanted to erase the embarrassment of their son looking like a international "twat" by fabricating the story that he was just an innocent little boy and went into cahoots with MAGA/QAnon lawyers who wanted to remove the stain the MAGA cap wearing brat was doing to their brand to sue the Washington post and other newspapers.

As it was already mentioned but the settlement made was paid as nuisance money as it was not worth the papers time to involve themselves in an opportunistic and spurious case. Even the Sandmann family were forced to jettison the QAnon lawyer L Lin Wood because it was a bad look for them.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2022, 12:56 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I would say that the people who are opposed to the extremes of the 2022 Democratic and Republican Parties form a "silent majority." These people want the polarization present today to end. They feel that progress is stymied because of this polarization.

Nelson Rockefeller is a prime example of someone who was a "social Republican." Socially liberal, but fiscally conservative.

They are well-hidden in the Age of Trump----but it's quite possible that there are "social Republicans" just waiting to emerge when they feel the "time is right."

I wouldn't call myself a "social Republican." My political orientation, in general, leads towards European Social Democracy.

I wish Rockefeller Republicans would make a comeback.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!