Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

sohil142003
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jun 2022, 6:37 pm

Hello, I am an 18 year old male and I am currently on SSI for bipolar, ocd and depression. This combined with my drug addiction issues has led to me feeling hopeless in general about my life. Can anyone else here relate to this or am I alone in this regard?

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2022, 12:19 am

sohil142003 wrote:
Hello, I am an 18 year old male and I am currently on SSI for bipolar, ocd and depression. This combined with my drug addiction issues has led to me feeling hopeless in general about my life. Can anyone else here relate to this or am I alone in this regard?

I am on social security disability it really stinks not being legally permitted to have any savings or investments in your personal name.I have been trying to get a job for years and have not had very much luck so I am living with my parents making less than 12,000 a year in social security.I thought I would have a middle class life on my own instead of being on benefits when I was little.You are not alone in being on social security at a young age.I dont think I will ever get off welfare most likely.

sohil142003
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jun 2022, 10:39 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
sohil142003 wrote:

I am on social security disability it really stinks not being legally permitted to have any savings or investments in your personal name.I have been trying to get a job for years and have not had very much luck so I am living with my parents making less than 12,000 a year in social security.I thought I would have a middle class life on my own instead of being on benefits when I was little.You are not alone in being on social security at a young age.I dont think I will ever get off welfare most likely.

What are you on disability for? Autism?

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2022, 11:12 am

I am not and never will be. I would rather starve than go on disability. It is so humiliating.

Up until now I haven't had any "real" job. I was making money either by being TA in graduate school or by being postdoc. I went from school to school to school my whole life. This coming fall will be the first time ever I would get a real job. I will teach at a community college. I didn't expect myself to ever get one. Its just that I ran out of TA so I applied, fully expecting a rejection. But got an acceptance. My goal is to be a professor at a research university, not a community college. So I will teach at a community college and keep applying places.

But still, the point is: even before I knew I would get a job, I never considered disability, just due to a sheer humiliation of the concept.

sohil142003
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jun 2022, 12:04 pm

QFT wrote:
I am not and never will be. I would rather starve than go on disability. It is so humiliating.

Up until now I haven't had any "real" job. I was making money either by being TA in graduate school or by being postdoc. I went from school to school to school my whole life. This coming fall will be the first time ever I would get a real job. I will teach at a community college. I didn't expect myself to ever get one. Its just that I ran out of TA so I applied, fully expecting a rejection. But got an acceptance. My goal is to be a professor at a research university, not a community college. So I will teach at a community college and keep applying places.

But still, the point is: even before I knew I would get a job, I never considered disability, just due to a sheer humiliation of the concept.

What were you doing with your life when you were 18 years old?

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2022, 12:08 pm

sohil142003 wrote:

I started university, on full scholarship. But I lived at home: university was at the same town my mom lived so I just lived with her. I first moved out of home at 21, when I started graduate school.

sohil142003
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jun 2022, 12:12 pm

QFT wrote:
sohil142003 wrote:

I started university, on full scholarship. But I lived at home: university was at the same town my mom lived so I just lived with her. I first moved out of home at 21, when I started graduate school.

My life is already ruined and wasted at 18 man. I think suicide is justified in this case

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2022, 1:17 pm

sohil142003 wrote:
QFT wrote:
sohil142003 wrote:

My life is already ruined and wasted at 18 man. I think suicide is justified in this case

Are you still 18? If so, I wish I could trade places with you. The most valuable commodity is time ahead of you. Everything else, including your current situation, you can change. But time is the one thing I could never get back.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2022, 1:42 pm

sohil142003 wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
sohil142003 wrote:

A life threatening disease

sohil142003
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jun 2022, 1:43 pm

QFT wrote:
sohil142003 wrote:
QFT wrote:
sohil142003 wrote:

Are you still 18? If so, I wish I could trade places with you. The most valuable commodity is time ahead of you. Everything else, including your current situation, you can change. But time is the one thing I could never get back.

I turn 19 in like a month but my life is going nowhere man. It will for sure go nowhere. I already wasted the one life I got

sohil142003
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jun 2022, 1:44 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
sohil142003 wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
sohil142003 wrote:

Are you comfortable sharing what that disease is?

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2022, 3:25 pm

sohil142003 wrote:
I turn 19 in like a month but my life is going nowhere man. It will for sure go nowhere. I already wasted the one life I got

Average lifespan is around 80 years, so you only lived a quarter of that. You have plenty of time.

Also the first 10 years of your life don't count anyway. Nobody will ask you what you did at 7. In fact, I don't think anyone will ask you what you did at 15 either. So you can start fresh.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2022, 3:57 pm

You're only 18. It will get better. I was lonely and unemployed when I was 18. Now I'm 32 and have come a looong way. Just hang in there. :heart:

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2022, 4:21 pm

sohil142003 wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
sohil142003 wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
sohil142003 wrote:

Are you comfortable sharing what that disease is?

No.