Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2022, 8:23 am

Joe90 wrote:
I thought this thread was asking us if we could physically hatch eggs and if it's an Aspie thing. :lol:

Autistic people can optionally reproduce by laying and hatching eggs :lol:

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

27 Jun 2022, 8:30 am

QFT wrote:
DanielW wrote:
Eggs need to be fertilized first, so nope, you won't be able to hatch them.

And how do I know they aren't fertilized?
Google "candling eggs".

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2022, 10:06 am

QFT wrote:
So yesterday the pastor in one of my churches passed me some of the eggs that one of his friends gave him from their chickens. I was wondering, if instead of eating them I were to keep them somewhere warm, can they produce chickens?

I actually had the same question with store bought eggs. I was assuming it is unlikely but I am not sure. Still, would the eggs from someone's chicken be a bit more likely? I noticed they are in slightly different color and slightly different sizes which kinda hints on the idea they are still growing.

This is the kind of question you could google and find the answer in two seconds.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2022, 10:08 am

rse92 wrote:
QFT wrote:
So yesterday the pastor in one of my churches passed me some of the eggs that one of his friends gave him from their chickens. I was wondering, if instead of eating them I were to keep them somewhere warm, can they produce chickens?

I actually had the same question with store bought eggs. I was assuming it is unlikely but I am not sure. Still, would the eggs from someone's chicken be a bit more likely? I noticed they are in slightly different color and slightly different sizes which kinda hints on the idea they are still growing.

This is the kind of question you could google and find the answer in two seconds.

But that's no fun

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2022, 11:15 am

Cornflake wrote:
QFT wrote:
DanielW wrote:
Eggs need to be fertilized first, so nope, you won't be able to hatch them.

And how do I know they aren't fertilized?
Google "candling eggs".

I did, and they talked about candling. So then I wanted to ask "how can you see through its shell even with a candle: the shell is not made out of glass or any transparent surface", but I couldn't ask it since google is not a person.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2022, 11:57 am

They're not fully opaque. I remember I shined either my phone LED torch or a bright flashlight. You will research online exactly what you should be seeing.

Try dimming lights in the room so you would see brightness and color better. Try comparing to store-bought eggs in your fridge if you have any.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

27 Jun 2022, 12:06 pm

QFT wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
Google "candling eggs".

I did, and they talked about candling. So then I wanted to ask "how can you see through its shell even with a candle: the shell is not made out of glass or any transparent surface", but I couldn't ask it since google is not a person.
But the search results contain many pictures and many descriptions of exactly what to do, and the meaning of what you may see. All of this explains, and shows, how the contents of an egg may be viewed and its fertilization state determined.
Also, what r00tb33r said.

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jun 2022, 4:45 pm

If the egg hasn't been washed (American egg companies wash the eggs to remove poop) it should be fine sitting out at room temperature for about a week. The refrigerator is a relatively new invention and eggs on the farm sit outside all the time, after all.

Eggs will stay good for much longer in the fridge than on the counter.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 2:28 pm

So... Will you be having chickens?

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 2:34 pm

I'd rather have scrambled eggs.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 2:58 pm

QFT wrote:
DanielW wrote:
Large-scale egg production doesn't involve roosters, and most urban farms aren't allowed to rear/raise roosters as they are considered a noise problem.

But in order for the chickens not to die off, they have to reproduce *somehow*, which means that *somebody* would have a rooster.

DanielW wrote:
Fertilzed eggs can't be eaten after about a week, because the egg begins to become chicken

Shouldn't there be a certain temperature for them to grow? So if they are at a wrong temperature, then they wouldn't be turning into chickens, or are you saying they still would?

By the way, since egg is eatible and chicken is eatible, then maybe the in-between between chicken and egg can also be eatible? Not that I would want to eat it (I feel too much compassion for it) but like other people might.

You're correct that the egg is edible at any intermediate state between chicken and egg (a fetal chicken might be icky, but it's edible.

If the eggs were fertilized but exposed to either too hot or too cold of conditions the embryonic chicken would cease to develop, moving them to proper conditions will not cause renewed development.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2022, 6:57 pm

Am I the only person who has actually raised chickens from eggs, had hens, had broody hens and had them hatch the chicks which is a lot less work? Yikes, I am getting old. Same goes for ducks and turkeys.

Same goes for the precocial game birds who may lay up to a couple dozen eggs in a single clutch, but only one egg per day. If the eggs all started incubating the moment they were laid, the chicks would end up hatching spread out over several weeks. This would not work well in terms of raising the chicks. So, the hen does not sit on and incubate the eggs until the entire clutch is laid. Therefore, eggs can stay fresh at room temperature for quite some time.

The word for something that transmits light but is not transparent is translucent, which is what egg shells are. Which is why they can be candled.

:D